Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 09-14-2016, 10:56 AM
SOA

Default Adapt MC Exams

Hey guys,

I was wondering how everyone is finding the adapt MC exams?

I've taken 3 level 5 exams and Ive gotton 17-19/20 on them with ~20 minutes remaining for each (such a time crunch..). Are these similar in difficulty to the MC we can expect on the exam, or would it be worth my time to go to level 6, then start on written?

Thanks!

Jim

Check out my FREE Exam P study aid (Android app): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.exampapp

Check out my FREE Exam MFE study aid (Android app): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.pocketfm
Old 09-14-2016, 01:14 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Bud Light, a lot of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Hey guys,

I was wondering how everyone is finding the adapt MC exams?

I've taken 3 level 5 exams and Ive gotton 17-19/20 on them with ~20 minutes remaining for each (such a time crunch..). Are these similar in difficulty to the MC we can expect on the exam, or would it be worth my time to go to level 6, then start on written?

Thanks!

Jim
All of the recent MLC exams have been released on the SOA's website, if you want to get a feel for the real thing. For what it's worth, I've taken four level 3 exams, only answered all the questions on two of them, and have gotten a 10 and 13 on those. My EL hasn't moved, yet. I think you're good...

FSA Exams: ERM ILALP ILALFV
Old 09-15-2016, 09:34 AM
SOA

College: University of Kansas Alumnus

I've used ADAPT for every exam thus far and I sat for Spring MLC. On other exams I always say the actual exam is roughly a 4.5. MLC is a tad different though. I'd say the multiple choice is closer to a level 3 exam(maybe even easier), but the written answer is going to look more like the level 5-8 questions.
DMAC
Old 09-15-2016, 10:51 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Bud Light, a lot of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
I've used ADAPT for every exam thus far and I sat for Spring MLC. On other exams I always say the actual exam is roughly a 4.5. MLC is a tad different though. I'd say the multiple choice is closer to a level 3 exam(maybe even easier), but the written answer is going to look more like the level 5-8 questions.
Does this mean that it's quite realistic to target like 18-19/20 on the MC? This would leave you only needing slightly over 50% on the WA to get a passing score, right? This is based on a pass mark of 70% and a point breakdown of 40/56 (for 96 total) for MC/WA from this past sitting.

FSA Exams: ERM ILALP ILALFV
Old 09-15-2016, 01:16 PM
SOA AAA

On ADAPT, I strongly feel like the level 3 and lower problems stump me while the 5+ are pretty "easy".

Ugh.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniTrack800m View Post
On ADAPT, I strongly feel like the level 3 and lower problems stump me while the 5+ are pretty "easy".

Ugh.
I know what you mean. There's definitely a really steep learning curve - it feels like all the reserve/premium/annuity questions are labeled around 3-4, which is most of the material. The ones above and below that tend to be more obscure topics (asset share, pension formulas, etc) that can be quicker to solve.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:48 PM
SOA

ADAPT exams are kind of a waste of time for this exam. I understand doing problems to get the material down, but I don't think it's necessary with a time limit. ADAPT quizzes or the SOA sample are more constructive.

If you're at the point where the MC is easy, start practicing WA. Once you're done doing WA samples, the MC portion is going to feel like a cakewalk. The MC on the real exam is extremely easy. I'm talking like 16 gimme's.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:22 PM
SOA

Just thought I'd bump this,

I hover around 16-18/20 on level 6 MC exams. I've found doing these exams is actually extremely helpful when I do the previous SOA MLC exams because I can blow through the MC, being used to much more difficult problems, and I have a lot of time left over for WA.

Is anyone else using adapt?

Check out my FREE Exam P study aid (Android app): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.exampapp

Check out my FREE Exam MFE study aid (Android app): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.pocketfm