Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-06-2011, 03:46 PM
ASPPA COPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
Same here with the exam and drinks!

I'll be playing Catherine, Civ V (new DLC is out), The Witcher, and getting back into GT5. I'm a "binge" Gran Turismo player. I'll play it for 3 weeks, then lay off it for 6 months; repeat.

I still want to go back and finish off some FFXIII quests / trophies.
Been playing Civ V since the PSN went down. I don't know if I'll get back into ACB; I have LA Noire on reserve, and that's coming out on the 17th.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Batch Brewing

Apparently games still patch with PSN down... my GT5 updated.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:59 AM

I know this isn't current generations, but this is more of a general video game thread anyways.

I'm thinking about picking up one of the Persona games for PS2 but I'm not sure which one to go with. Both 3 and 4 look like there are pretty well reviewed but I was thinking that one of them was supposed to just be amazing. I'm thinking that it was 3 because they have an expanded FES version that is supposed to be "enhanced".

Anyone have any input on which Persona game I should buy?
Old 05-09-2011, 01:49 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
I know this isn't current generations, but this is more of a general video game thread anyways.

I'm thinking about picking up one of the Persona games for PS2 but I'm not sure which one to go with. Both 3 and 4 look like there are pretty well reviewed but I was thinking that one of them was supposed to just be amazing. I'm thinking that it was 3 because they have an expanded FES version that is supposed to be "enhanced".

Anyone have any input on which Persona game I should buy?
Both 3 & 4 are very good. You won't go wrong with either one. Personally, I loved 3 (FES version). I think it's got a better story than 4. FES adds an epilogue to the game - independent of your progress in the standard game. And it's got some additions to the story compared with the original Persona 3, but the original would be impossible to find anyway.

Apart from the story, P4 has some gameplay improvements over P3. You are able to control your party members directly, rather than P3 where you can only assign them to "Heal/Support", "All out Attack", "Act freely", etc. So, in P3, your allies act on their own, not always exactly what you'd want, but it's good enough. It only gets annoying in boss battles sometimes.

I'm actually playing my second time through with Persona 3: Portable (the PSP version), which is yet another version of P3 - this time with a second protagonist and the P4 gameplay improvements. If you plan to play both, it's probably better to start with P3. Keep in mind they are ~70-100 hours long each.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
Both 3 & 4 are very good. You won't go wrong with either one. Personally, I loved 3 (FES version). I think it's got a better story than 4. FES adds an epilogue to the game - independent of your progress in the standard game. And it's got some additions to the story compared with the original Persona 3, but the original would be impossible to find anyway.

Apart from the story, P4 has some gameplay improvements over P3. You are able to control your party members directly, rather than P3 where you can only assign them to "Heal/Support", "All out Attack", "Act freely", etc. So, in P3, your allies act on their own, not always exactly what you'd want, but it's good enough. It only gets annoying in boss battles sometimes.

I'm actually playing my second time through with Persona 3: Portable (the PSP version), which is yet another version of P3 - this time with a second protagonist and the P4 gameplay improvements. If you plan to play both, it's probably better to start with P3. Keep in mind they are ~70-100 hours long each.
Cool thanks, I'll probably just go with 3 FES, it's only $20 on amazon.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:29 PM

Randomish question. Do you have to follow the story and do all the reading to enjoy Dragon Age: Origins? I had borrowed the game at one point, but there was just so much story involved that I stopped caring. I like a good story, but this felt like I was restarting the Wheel of Time series (not that the series is bad or anything, just really long). I was considering picking it up (assuming I could find it at a reasonable price), but I couldn't remember if there was a simple objective arrow that I could just follow.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:06 PM
CAS

On a related note, my PS2 was making weird scratchy/crackly noises when watching a DVD on it this weekend. I think there might have been a bug inside or something, lol. It would make the noise for 5 seconds, the video stops, then resume after the sound went away. Did it a half a dozen times throughout the movie. Didn't do it as much once I set it horizontally.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormous76 View Post
Randomish question. Do you have to follow the story and do all the reading to enjoy Dragon Age: Origins? I had borrowed the game at one point, but there was just so much story involved that I stopped caring. I like a good story, but this felt like I was restarting the Wheel of Time series (not that the series is bad or anything, just really long). I was considering picking it up (assuming I could find it at a reasonable price), but I couldn't remember if there was a simple objective arrow that I could just follow.
I don't think you need to do all the reading to enjoy it. I didn't do anything other than the quests in the game. I rarely bother with all the background crap developers throw in through books, codex, and those types of things. I just don't have enough interest to spend time on anything they didn't feel like adding to the actual story of the game.

But I was able to enjoy DA:O without doing that.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:31 PM
CAS SOA

Favorite beer: Summer Shandy

I finally unlocked Anya!
Old 05-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Official AO Ninja

Studying for my next eye exam
Favorite beer: Guinness - because it's color of ninjas. And delicious.

Buying a new game tonight for PS3 after work. I think my decision is down to Red Dead Redemption and AC:Brotherhood. I'm sure I'll wind up owning both of them at some point, but which one should I get first? Online multiplayer does not interest me in the slightest, if that factors in to the recommendation.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one