Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 AM

Just found out that the new graphics card I bought comes with a free download of AC3 and Borderlands 2. It was a nice surprise given that I haven't played either.

Given that I have never played a game in the AC series - does it really make sense to pick up with the third or should I really play through all of them in order? Is Borderlands 2 fine to start with or will I be missing out if I don't play the first game?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:38 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
Given that I have never played a game in the AC series - does it really make sense to pick up with the third or should I really play through all of them in order? Is Borderlands 2 fine to start with or will I be missing out if I don't play the first game?
AC3 gives a pretty solid intro into where the story is currently. I could imagine it being somewhat confusing if you know absolutely nothing about the series, but between that and wiki'ing the plot from AC1, AC2, AC Brotherhood, and AC Revelations, you should be fine. You can always come here and ask questions if you are confused.

I probably wouldn't recommend trying to play through other AC games, since AC:B/AC:R/AC3 are pretty similar gameplay-wise. And since they aren't very short games, you could get AC fatigue before you even get to your free game

I jumped into Borderlands 2 without playing the first no problem. The story isn't very deep, and it's more about shooting shit and constantly upgrading your gear with better gear.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 AM

Studying for 2/FM
Favorite beer: Guinness

Funny thing is that the story in Borderlands 2 is deeper than in Borderlands 1.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalapeno29 View Post
Funny thing is that the story in Borderlands 2 is deeper than in Borderlands 1.
I think a lot of the story in B2 means more to people that played B1...

Spoiler:
Bloodwing and Roland dying, in particular. I know I saw ppl on FB posting sad faces and "RIPs" when they got to those parts. I thought "who cares?" Then I found out those were the playable characters from B1 and it made a little more sense.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post

Spoiler:
Bloodwing and Roland dying, in particular. I know I saw ppl on FB posting sad faces and "RIPs" when they got to those parts. I thought "who cares?" Then I found out those were the playable characters from B1 and it made a little more sense.
Spoiler:
I played as Mordecai in the first one! Bloodwing! NO! Does Mordecai die?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:48 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
Spoiler:
I played as Mordecai in the first one! Bloodwing! NO! Does Mordecai die?
Spoiler:
Nope.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
AC3 gives a pretty solid intro into where the story is currently. I could imagine it being somewhat confusing if you know absolutely nothing about the series, but between that and wiki'ing the plot from AC1, AC2, AC Brotherhood, and AC Revelations, you should be fine. You can always come here and ask questions if you are confused.

I probably wouldn't recommend trying to play through other AC games, since AC:B/AC:R/AC3 are pretty similar gameplay-wise. And since they aren't very short games, you could get AC fatigue before you even get to your free game
Good point - I was afraid of the "Assassins Creed" fatigue if I started from the beginning given that the gameplay seems similar (and improved on over the course of the series). I also didn't realize how many games they have actually made...

Sounds like I should just read the summary of the other games and play through AC3.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:56 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
Good point - I was afraid of the "Assassins Creed" fatigue if I started from the beginning given that the gameplay seems similar (and improved on over the course of the series). I also didn't realize how many games they have actually made...

Sounds like I should just read the summary of the other games and play through AC3.
Yeah - this is really AC5
Old 11-28-2012, 01:10 PM

Studying for 2/FM
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:

Spoiler:

I got past the first one, but not up to the second. I left off where I need to kill Jack's double.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:52 PM
ASPPA COPA

I would still play AC2, really, but the beginning of AC3 does give you a history. AC2 was an amazing game.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one