Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Wiki Contributor
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for the rest of my life.
College: Alumnus - Queens College - CUNY
Favorite beer: Stone Ruination IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oedipus rex View Post
Dragon Age Inquisition is by far the best PC RPG in years. I think it surpasses Dragon Age Origins. You have to immerse yourself in the story to get anything out of it.
Agreed. There are some Mass Effect like moments, which isn't that surprising, as this is Bioware. DAII being so run-of-the-mill ordinary was the surprise.

--with apologies to Dr. Leon Lederman
Old 12-01-2014, 12:40 AM
ASPPA COPA

Anyone get either of the Assassin's Creeds? Saw a post or two about them, but not much else.

I'm playing Rogue now (played through Unity quickly so the wife could use the PS4 for DA:I). It took a bit for me to get into it, and it's very similar to AC IV in a lot of ways. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it feels a little repetitive. I'm in sequence 3.

Unity did have glitches, though I got lucky and only had one bad one (fell through the floor in the middle of a *hard* main story mission, had to re-start). The past storyline was pretty good (The end of Sequence 7 -> WTF?!? -> Sequence 8 is one of my favorite things in the entire AC series), but the modern day stuff wasn't up to par with the other games.

The one thing a lot of people really don't like about Unity is that the app is required to get 100% completion, and the thing is just broken. I started when it came out, the day before the game did. My progress was reset when I connected the game to Uplay. Fix came 3 days later, fine. Get pretty far... only to have my progress reset AGAIN, and THIS time, it also loses the fact that I paid $2 for the premium version. The end of the app is getting Altair's robes, so a lot of people are upset by this.

Unity is gorgeous, and they really took advantage of the next gen consoles. The ending was pretty good, but the modern day storyline made it feel... unimportant.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:29 AM

Dang it, Amazon!!!!!! I bought Dragon Age: Inquisition as a download for my PS4 for $60, in order to get to $100 spent. Today DA:I is $45 for all consoles. I should have waited until today, then spent $60 combined on Shadows of Mordor & Evil Within then bought DA:I off Amazon.

Not that I need any more games, over the last week, I picked up Rayman Legends, Diablo 3 UEE, Transistor, Valiant Hearts, DA:I. Between those, Guacamelee, Binding of Isaac, Watch Dogs, and some other ICG I can't remember, I'm probably good on games until next thanksgiving (when Armham Knight should be cheap).

Last edited by The Wizard of Awe; 12-01-2014 at 10:45 AM..
Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
??? I'm not sure what you mean? I just couldn't get into DA:O. It was too slow for me when I tried to play it.
I mean, every single human being on the face of the planet that has ever played both games thinks DA:O > DA II. Except for you.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pills View Post
Anyone get either of the Assassin's Creeds? Saw a post or two about them, but not much else.

I'm playing Rogue now (played through Unity quickly so the wife could use the PS4 for DA:I). It took a bit for me to get into it, and it's very similar to AC IV in a lot of ways. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it feels a little repetitive. I'm in sequence 3.

Unity did have glitches, though I got lucky and only had one bad one (fell through the floor in the middle of a *hard* main story mission, had to re-start). The past storyline was pretty good (The end of Sequence 7 -> WTF?!? -> Sequence 8 is one of my favorite things in the entire AC series), but the modern day stuff wasn't up to par with the other games.

The one thing a lot of people really don't like about Unity is that the app is required to get 100% completion, and the thing is just broken. I started when it came out, the day before the game did. My progress was reset when I connected the game to Uplay. Fix came 3 days later, fine. Get pretty far... only to have my progress reset AGAIN, and THIS time, it also loses the fact that I paid $2 for the premium version. The end of the app is getting Altair's robes, so a lot of people are upset by this.

Unity is gorgeous, and they really took advantage of the next gen consoles. The ending was pretty good, but the modern day storyline made it feel... unimportant.
I've tried Unity, but have only played it three times. The first was to see how a AAA game looked on my new PC (looked good, but there were a few graphical glitches). The second was to play some of the game, I got stuck running in mid-air after jumping from a rafter. The last time I just had trouble getting into it. I got annoyed trying to open chests and it said I wasn't allowed to for some reason or another.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:24 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
Dang it, Amazon!!!!!! I bought Dragon Age: Inquisition as a download for my PS4 for $60, in order to get to $100 spent. Today DA:I is $45 for all consoles. I should have waited until today, then spent $60 combined on Shadows of Mordor & Evil Within then bought DA:I off Amazon.
Looks like I'll be buying Inquisition today. Hopefully my computer can play it decently...
Old 12-01-2014, 11:17 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Batch Brewing

Shadow of Mordor was on sale on PSN, so I picked it up and I really like it!

My biggest complaint is that they don't allow inverting the Y-axis. You go standard, or invert x-axis only. Why give one option but not the other? Inverting X only seems to be slightly easier to get used to for me, but I'm having a lot of difficulty looking around and aiming. Luckily the hand-to-hand combat is just fine, as the camera moves around well enough, or I only need to shift the x-axis.

It's surprisingly difficult to get used to, even though I have played other games in the past without inverting. I think I just got used to Demons/Dark Souls, where they allow it. Japanese developers tend to put that option in more often.

But yeah, love the game. It's got a good amount of difficulty, and when a sniper took me out, I held a grudge and just about "made my own storyline" to go get revenge on him. I actually like the inclusion of Smeagle. I cleared out a region or two (artifacts, etc) pretty quickly.

p.s. playing on PS4

Last edited by sloppyjoe; 12-01-2014 at 12:28 PM..
Old 12-01-2014, 11:20 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Batch Brewing

Oh, and I beat Rogue Legacy, I was getting close to level 200. Still want to keep playing and level up more...
Old 12-01-2014, 12:11 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for Exam 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
Oh, and I beat Rogue Legacy, I was getting close to level 200. Still want to keep playing and level up more...
New game + has new monsters, and is much more difficult.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
Like, got all the achievements/trophies or beat the final boss for the first time?

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one