Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 03-27-2017, 05:03 PM
SOA

Studying for nothing, I can't read
College: Dublin Scioto High School
Favorite beer: Spiced Dark Rum
Default Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you, resume attached below...

Only my email is correct as far as personally identifiable information goes. I did read Westley's advice and tried to follow the majority of it, there are some things I did not follow, not sure if it is a big deal, anyways, any advice is appreciated.

And thanks in advance.

Edit: Reuploaded my resume with advised revisions.

Last edited by kushy04; 04-01-2017 at 09:23 PM..
Old 03-27-2017, 05:14 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

I did a quick glance. Reorder your resume. Have exams at top followed by education, work experience, skills, and finally activities. From my quick go around, the resume appears too wordy, and some parts should be removed or condensed. Usually activities are not given its own bullet points. I would also not bold "SAS Base" at all. The bold just looks awkward in the middle of a section and not that many people know what SAS Base is.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:40 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Unusual background.

I'd indent all text under the section headings. That makes the overall format stand out more. Then you won't need to use all-caps and bolding and lines to try to make the sections stand out.

I'd try to keep a 1" margin. It tends to make the resume look less crowded.

I'd put the exam section first. I'd get rid of the exam subject. It's just filler. I'd make the Passed a left aligned column near the exam name. Get rid of the hyphen. Personally, I'd do the same with the dates, but some disagree.

I see no reason to mention Scranton. I'd put only the grad date there, rather than the attendance date. Include the month. Unless your GPA really sucked, I'd include it.

I don't think I'd put the experience at the bottom. I get that you don't feel it helps you much, but I think putting it at the bottom makes it seem worse.

You don't have to list the trucking. The resume is OK without it and there's no reason why the resume has to have it. Include it if you think it will sell you better, leave it off otherwise. Note that you can still bring it up during an interview if you feel you will benefit from it then, even if it wasn't listed in the resume. If you include it, don't try to stretch it out with the obvious "transporting goods from one location to another". Don't insult the reader.

This is one example where "assist" actually works! It's usually a horrible word to start with. I'd leave off the "various". It serves no good purpose and just adds vagueness. I'd leave off the whole "in which ...". If you feel you need more, do not mention "duties" or the vague-ing "involving" or anything "routine" or "several". So basically, leave off the whole end.

The first bullet stands out and I really don't think you need the second one. If you keep it, I'd keep it very short and avoid that whole long "during ...". That part effectively just means "if needed", which seems obvious. I think it is better without it, though.

Is there a reason why work/study needs to be there? You were working while in school, so that seems obvious. And it makes the job title just a little less clear. The comp tech bullets again are way padded out to include obvious stuff. I'd try to keep it as short and to the point as possible. You repaired and maintained computers. You configured networks. You resolved technical issues. No need to mention Pitt's networks when you're working for Pitt. Tacking together assisting and configuring with "while" sounds wrong - it makes it sound like you were doing them simultaneously.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE

Last edited by vjvj; 03-27-2017 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: left out an important "no"
Old 03-27-2017, 05:58 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

You don't list titles with the leadership/activities. Did you have any official position. I'd not start each with U of P.

Don't "routinely" do anything. The point isn't meeting with students and staff. The point is organizing. Somehow it seems stronger with "at local high school and middle schools and on campus" (unless you really didn't go there). I guess the point is that, in my head, organization is hardly needed for sitting in a room waiting for someone to show up.

You use hedge words in the SGA bullet. "Helped" is weak. Does "involved with" mean you really weren't part of the planning and budgeting committee? If you were, I'd go much stronger with something like "Disbursed more than $... ... ... as part of the planning and budget committee".

I'd not even hint at hacking, exploiting software vulnerabilities, and anything unapproved. If you include this, just make it about organizing competitions. I'd not mention monthly. If they're regular, it needs less organizing.

I'd leave the dates off the leadership/activities. The dates don't help you.

All dates should have month and year, btw. I'd abbreviate months everywhere. I'd not use semesters.

I'd call it Computer Skills and condense this a lot. Your explanations don't help you and most won't get read - I'd guess after the 2nd "self-taught". Don't pad the names out with "Programming Language". There's no benefit to "various software such as". I'd leave off Word and PP.

You can probably bump the font up a little, then.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 03-27-2017, 06:04 PM
SOA

I appreciate all the advice and any further that may come!
Old 03-29-2017, 07:30 PM
SOA

I reuploaded my resume with the advised revisions. Any further comments?

I know I have an unusual background, but there is a reasonable explanation for it. Just imagine you are asian and just so happen to have the typical asian parents that tell you your whole life that "When you grow up, you can become anything you want to become, Doctor or a Lawyer." Lol, but in a nutshell, it explains my background. Ideally, I would have studied computer science since computers were always my passion, but at least I let my passion teach me relevant skills.

Last edited by kushy04; 03-29-2017 at 07:39 PM..
Old 03-30-2017, 02:54 AM
SOA

College: University of Waterloo Alumni

Here are my thoughts

Your exams and pass dates don't line up (looks like there is more space between the dates than the exams)

Ideally you should try to find a more descriptive word than "assisting", "assisted"

Try to make your bullet points more results oriented rather than just duty oriented

Your bullets are long, see if you can reduce them

Align the bullet text so that it all aligns to the right of the bullet points, not aligned with the bullet points, similar to how you've done the "recycling" bullet point

I think you should move your computer skills to the bottom and take out all the bullet points, just have the programs.

Some of your bullet points have a period at the end, others don't. I wouldn't keep periods at the end

Some of your date range dashes are long, others are short

Hope this helps! If you'd like further review after making some/all of these changes I'd be glad to do so in the Next Step Community that I am currently growing.
--
Fellowship Exams
Exam Analysis Cheat Sheet - The #1 way to set your studying priorities (Shows you which readings are historically tested most often)