Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #14901  
Old 10-07-2019, 11:07 AM
SlowMotionWalter's Avatar
SlowMotionWalter SlowMotionWalter is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14,000
Default

Well, the season can only get better, right?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
You should learn to communicate in a serious manner before you expect a serious answer.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Reply With Quote
  #14902  
Old 10-07-2019, 11:20 AM
tometom's Avatar
tometom tometom is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: May 2004
Favorite beer: Homebrew
Posts: 13,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
I liked the way they did the 3 mini story lines.
yea, that was good.
__________________
If I had some duct tape, I could fix that.
Reply With Quote
  #14903  
Old 10-07-2019, 11:29 AM
tometom's Avatar
tometom tometom is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: May 2004
Favorite beer: Homebrew
Posts: 13,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
Well, the season can only get better, right?
i didn't think it was that bad. i'm not a huge fan of jumping over winter, especially the way they left it off at the end of last season, but i'm going to assume they will fill in some blanks with flashbacks or something?

i swear someone said the whisperers had a nuclear weapon, did i hear that right? or were they just talking about the giant herd that could be unleashed? i guess that would make more sense given them showing Carol and Daryl taking the opportunity to go look at the gorge where the herd was and finding it empty. Alpha showing her head at the end, i was thinking cut back to Carol not being there so it didn't immediately start shit, but i guess not. I was kinda hoping Carol would just yell back, we had to put out a forest fire not far from here and we were going back to our side right now. or something like that.

its like Aaron and Michonne were talking, are they the good guys? i just don't get why the whisperers want to make trouble. sure it's not the way they choose to live, but seems like if groups just get along everyone would prosper. the whisperers could even be more helpful in taking out zombies and allowing the farming communities to grow more food and thus hopefully being able to share more for that service. I've said it a million times, i just don't see that style of living working long term. needs to be a very nomadic thing like the Native Americans prior to settlers, but they have an additional problem of the dead also eating their main food source. and babies being a huge hindrance to survival.
__________________
If I had some duct tape, I could fix that.
Reply With Quote
  #14904  
Old 10-07-2019, 11:36 AM
Linus's Avatar
Linus Linus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Studying for CAS ∞
Posts: 32,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
i didn't think it was that bad. i'm not a huge fan of jumping over winter, especially the way they left it off at the end of last season, but i'm going to assume they will fill in some blanks with flashbacks or something?

i swear someone said the whisperers had a nuclear weapon, did i hear that right? or were they just talking about the giant herd that could be unleashed? i guess that would make more sense given them showing Carol and Daryl taking the opportunity to go look at the gorge where the herd was and finding it empty. Alpha showing her head at the end, i was thinking cut back to Carol not being there so it didn't immediately start shit, but i guess not. I was kinda hoping Carol would just yell back, we had to put out a forest fire not far from here and we were going back to our side right now. or something like that.

its like Aaron and Michonne were talking, are they the good guys? i just don't get why the whisperers want to make trouble. sure it's not the way they choose to live, but seems like if groups just get along everyone would prosper. the whisperers could even be more helpful in taking out zombies and allowing the farming communities to grow more food and thus hopefully being able to share more for that service. I've said it a million times, i just don't see that style of living working long term. needs to be a very nomadic thing like the Native Americans prior to settlers, but they have an additional problem of the dead also eating their main food source. and babies being a huge hindrance to survival.
I forget the actual verbiage used, but I think the reference about the whisperer's "nuclear" weapon was figurative and would have meant the penned in herd.

I understand Eugene's interest in salvaging what he could from the crashed satellite, but he should not have been so quick to dismiss concerns about radiation. AFAIK, the Soviet Union used small nuclear reactors to powers a few dozen of their satellites and even if the fuel was spent, it would still remain highly radioactive.
__________________
I am the luckiest
Spoiler:

Reply With Quote
  #14905  
Old 10-07-2019, 12:24 PM
tometom's Avatar
tometom tometom is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: May 2004
Favorite beer: Homebrew
Posts: 13,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I understand Eugene's interest in salvaging what he could from the crashed satellite, but he should not have been so quick to dismiss concerns about radiation. AFAIK, the Soviet Union used small nuclear reactors to powers a few dozen of their satellites and even if the fuel was spent, it would still remain highly radioactive.
ha, i actually thought the same thing. i was a little surprised the writers weren't smart enough to think of that. I swear, they need people like us as consultants on this show.
__________________
If I had some duct tape, I could fix that.
Reply With Quote
  #14906  
Old 10-07-2019, 12:36 PM
BG5150's Avatar
BG5150 BG5150 is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Favorite beer: the one you're buying me
Posts: 22,681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
ha, i actually thought the same thing. i was a little surprised the writers weren't smart enough to think of that. I swear, they need people like us as consultants on this show.
Maybe they threw that tidbit in there as foreshadowing. Maybe Eugene (and the other NPCs who were tasked with helping him) will succumb to radiation poisoning.
Reply With Quote
  #14907  
Old 10-07-2019, 12:40 PM
epeddy1's Avatar
epeddy1 epeddy1 is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: East Coast
Studying for None!!!
College: U of Chief Illiniwek
Posts: 8,836
Default

I'm still here.

I enjoyed the episode. No doubt this show has gone downhill since the height. But it's still good enough. Can't say the same for FTWD. Totally skipped that season after watching like 15 minutes of the premier.

One thing I liked was the medieval battle techniques we saw at the beginning. Another great addition to the zombie apocalypse lore that I don't think has been covered before. Makes total sense. When you have to use medieval weapons, it would make sense for groups to adopt organized medieval battle techniques. Up until now every zombie battle scene in this show and other zombie fiction have the heroes pretty much just randomly attacking with their weapon of choice. The archers and shield wall with spears is much smarter. I also like how they opened up the shield wall to let out their "best warriors" ala Michonne, etc.

One thing I didn't like was the satellite. If Russian space-station MIR totally burned up in the atmosphere, how the heck did that satellite survive so intact? Space shuttle Columbia also came down in pieces. I guess they consulted on that, so maybe there's some plausibility. And I'm a little confused about Eugene going crazy trying to give Oceanside a warning while it was still burning in the sky. What was his warning? Was it about the fire? How could he have possibly known at that time it was going to A) survive reentry and B) land nearby and C) be on fire and D) land in a spot where fire would spread? What was his precedent for coming to that conclusion so quickly?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rookie View Post
I agree with epeddy's comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTso View Post
oh wow. epeddy's advice is incredible.
The story of my life: It's not that I'm in denial of being a nerd. It's that everyone else is in denial of how incredibly cool I am.
Reply With Quote
  #14908  
Old 10-07-2019, 12:44 PM
BG5150's Avatar
BG5150 BG5150 is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Favorite beer: the one you're buying me
Posts: 22,681
Default

I was wondering about that horde of zombies they used for training. Were they herded into that boat? It was like a slave ship there were so many "people" aboard.

(Maybe it was a boatful of people trying to flee and they took as many as they could carry...)
Reply With Quote
  #14909  
Old 10-07-2019, 12:46 PM
epeddy1's Avatar
epeddy1 epeddy1 is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: East Coast
Studying for None!!!
College: U of Chief Illiniwek
Posts: 8,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
ha, i actually thought the same thing. i was a little surprised the writers weren't smart enough to think of that. I swear, they need people like us as consultants on this show.
Supposedly they had consultants on the satellite bit. Probably because of them they even mentioned the radiation. Instead of "bad writing" because they ignored the fact satellites could be radioactive, it was "bad writing" that Eugene, as a seemingly intelligent person, would ignore it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rookie View Post
I agree with epeddy's comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTso View Post
oh wow. epeddy's advice is incredible.
The story of my life: It's not that I'm in denial of being a nerd. It's that everyone else is in denial of how incredibly cool I am.
Reply With Quote
  #14910  
Old 10-07-2019, 12:50 PM
SlowMotionWalter's Avatar
SlowMotionWalter SlowMotionWalter is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14,000
Default

FTWD has been consistently better than TWD for the past few seasons, imo.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
You should learn to communicate in a serious manner before you expect a serious answer.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jumped the shark, myotherwifeisazombie, token, zilf

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.89750 seconds with 12 queries