Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 10-14-2019, 03:59 PM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76
College: MIT '74

Last night's episode hit a new record level of boring. I couldn't even keep track of the characters with all the flashbacks and masks.

One interesting observation, however, is that whisperers should be easily distinguishable from real walkers because the whisperers carry weapons, and basically no walkers do. The writers are so lazy.

Bruce
Old 10-14-2019, 04:34 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
One interesting observation, however, is that whisperers should be easily distinguishable from real walkers because the whisperers carry weapons, and basically no walkers do. The writers are so lazy.
I believe this episode is the first time there was a clear emphasis on their weapons, as they showed a large knife strapped to someone's waist - did they even show Whispers using weapons previously? I'm almost positive last season when our hero group was trying to spot Whisperers that they looked indistinguishable from the walkers, certainly none had large melee weapons holstered to their belts. Perhaps they are more disguised when clashing with other humans, as the mission from last night's episode had the specific goal of rebuilding their zombie herd.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:30 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for None!!!
College: U of Chief Illiniwek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReserveRage View Post
I believe this episode is the first time there was a clear emphasis on their weapons, as they showed a large knife strapped to someone's waist - did they even show Whispers using weapons previously? I'm almost positive last season when our hero group was trying to spot Whisperers that they looked indistinguishable from the walkers, certainly none had large melee weapons holstered to their belts. Perhaps they are more disguised when clashing with other humans, as the mission from last night's episode had the specific goal of rebuilding their zombie herd.
When the Whisperer threat was first established, I remember Daryl and others giving the advice to watch their hands. At the time I always assumed that was referencing their hands reaching for weapons.

There might also be a distinction between the leaders and the common "shepherd," if you will. Beta and others who aren't usually moseying around the herd would be less worried about concealing their weapon. And sure, when they're dealing directly with humans they might do things differently. When we were first introduced to the Whisperers last season, they were already actively engaged with our hero group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTso View Post
oh wow. epeddy's advice is incredible.
The story of my life: It's not that I'm in denial of being a nerd. It's that everyone else is in denial of how incredibly cool I am.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:47 PM
CAS

i noticed alpha wearing something on her hip last night in the scene where dead baby mama attacks alpha
Old 10-14-2019, 05:52 PM
AAA

is this show worth it? guessing not. I tried like 2 episodes of first season several months ago.

someone, give me a three sentence sales pitch. GO!
Old 10-14-2019, 06:07 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i noticed alpha wearing something on her hip last night in the scene where dead baby mama attacks alpha
alpha wears her gun and a knife.

i'd agree, that basically they are saying "watch their hands" as hand movement would be the most obvious sign of not being a walker. they are signaling each other so they don't have to talk or they would be going to a weapon as opposed to just reaching for the person trying to eat them.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:19 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
is this show worth it? guessing not. I tried like 2 episodes of first season several months ago.

someone, give me a three sentence sales pitch. GO!
not sure about 3 sentences. how about 3 questions, if you answer yes to all 3, then i'd say go for it.

are you into zombie apocalypse themes?
Can you handle some good action mixed with some very boring stuff?
Can you handle some really poor writing at times?

the show is relatively mediocre to be honest. i started watching for the theme and having read some of the comics. and am pretty much sticking around for the theme and to see differences from the comics. and also to make comments about how stupid the people are and how i would survive the ZA so much better than them.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:43 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for None!!!
College: U of Chief Illiniwek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
not sure about 3 sentences. how about 3 questions, if you answer yes to all 3, then i'd say go for it.

are you into zombie apocalypse themes?
Can you handle some good action mixed with some very boring stuff?
Can you handle some really poor writing at times?

the show is relatively mediocre to be honest. i started watching for the theme and having read some of the comics. and am pretty much sticking around for the theme and to see differences from the comics. and also to make comments about how stupid the people are and how i would survive the ZA so much better than them.
Nailed it.

In one run-on sentence:

The main reason to start watching a show before it ended is if you want to be part of the "water cooler talk", which for TWD has pretty much ended, so the advice I would give is you should wait it out because there's really no reason to start now, because anyone who enjoys the zombie genre is already watching IMO, so wait until we (fans/reviewers) can evaluate it as a whole, because then people can give advice about watching only seasons 1-n, or skipping seasons n-m, like Dexter, and also we will know the ending, because the ending of a zombie genre story is an interesting concept and should be considered, but I'm sure they'll manage to screw it up with poor writing, but maybe not, not to mention we'll know more about the spinoff series' and/or movies, and if those are good enough to justify watching the main series as background, or if the spinoffs themselves are good enough on a standalone basis so you can just skip the main series, or whatever, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTso View Post
oh wow. epeddy's advice is incredible.
The story of my life: It's not that I'm in denial of being a nerd. It's that everyone else is in denial of how incredibly cool I am.

Last edited by epeddy1; 10-15-2019 at 12:55 PM..
Old 10-15-2019, 01:07 PM

Speaking of which, any info on when Rick's movies come out?
Old 10-15-2019, 01:17 PM
SOA AAA

College: SUNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
Is the baby dead? He/she wound up with the blacksmith and his wife. Didn't the wife tell him to take care of the baby when she was attacked by the walkers?

Tags
jumped the shark, myotherwifeisazombie, token, zilf