Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-12-2019, 11:37 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing
College: Georgia State University - Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by td25er View Post
The main 2 guys on the barbell medicine team are medical doctors, experienced stength coaches (they coach elite strength athletes), and elite powerlifters themselves. They used to be Starting Strength coaches but voluntarily gave up their certifications because they have brains and rippetoe is an idiot.

Here is a free beginner program to get you used to their programming style.
Thanks! I perused this stuff and it seems like it might be what I need. I'll need to go through it more later.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:48 AM

When I was trying to incorporate lifting, I used Mike Matthew's book Bigger, Leaner, Stronger. He also has one aimed at women called Thinner, Leaner, Stronger.

I did the 4 day schedule. It is essentially targeting 1-2 muscle groups per day, 3-4 specific lifts per day at 3 sets of 4-6 reps. You do the same lifts for 7-8 weeks, then take either a light week or an off week before switching up the lifts (although you almost never switched out bench, squat, deadlift, and military press).

The book includes the lifts that target each major muscle group. And if you get the book, you get access to a pdf that lays out the schedule for a full year with options for 3, 4, or 5 workouts per week.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:57 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing
College: Georgia State University - Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
When I was trying to incorporate lifting, I used Mike Matthew's book Bigger, Leaner, Stronger. He also has one aimed at women called Thinner, Leaner, Stronger.

I did the 4 day schedule. It is essentially targeting 1-2 muscle groups per day, 3-4 specific lifts per day at 3 sets of 4-6 reps. You do the same lifts for 7-8 weeks, then take either a light week or an off week before switching up the lifts (although you almost never switched out bench, squat, deadlift, and military press).

The book includes the lifts that target each major muscle group. And if you get the book, you get access to a pdf that lays out the schedule for a full year with options for 3, 4, or 5 workouts per week.
Thanks! Looks like my library has it so I'll take a look.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:00 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
I only got a coach for this tri so she's not working with me beyond that. I have not decided on my tri goals for next year but I work on my running on my own.

My dilemma is that I know how to incorporate various workouts into a training plan (like when to taper off or how to arrange my workout days) but I just really suck at putting together a specific routine. For example I know what days I should do my lower body workout in relation to my running workouts and I know when I should go at it vs easing off. I just am crappy at putting together a whole routine for that day as opposed to wandering around the gym saying "Maybe I'll do some squats. Okay, let's do some lunges. How about this??" It's complete chaos when I try to put together my own strength program!
Gotcha. Stronglifts 5x5 is Squats/Bench/Rows (pendlay rows) on 'A' days, and Squats/Overhead Press/Deadlifts on 'B' days. You lift 3x per week (or every other day) and start with very low weights, but you increase the weight each workout session. 5 sets of 5 reps for each exercise except deadlift which is 1 set of 5.

You can determine your own increases, but the base program is 5 lb increments each workout session for everything but deadlift, which is 10. So at 3x per week you're adding 15 lbs to squats each week, 5-10 lbs for the presses and the rows, and 30 lbs for deadlift.

You keep adding weight each workout until you fail to get 5 sets of 5 reps on a lift, then you stay at that same weight for the next session. You only stay/reduce weight for the exercise you stalled on, and keep adding weight on the other exercises. Fail 3 workouts in a row at a certain weight and you reduce your numbers for that lift and work your way back up.

It's straightforward, not a lot to think about after calculating the plates to add to the barbell, and allowing for a couple minutes of rest between sets it usually takes about 45 minutes or so per workout (less than that at the beginning as you might not need much rest between sets with an empty bar.)

There's also a mobile app that tracks all of your weights and progress, and keeps track of when to reduce weight. It's free to use, but there are upgrades and a membership that adds extras, but you don't really need any of it (although the warmup calculator is really useful later on).
Old 08-12-2019, 01:21 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by td25er View Post
The first program here is very similar to StrongLifts, adding conditioning.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 08-12-2019, 02:08 PM
SOA

Go grab "The Triathlete's Training Bible" by Joe Friel. Read the stuff about periodization, building your training week, and strength training (well, read it all but concentrate on those pieces so you know how to build strength in to the rest of your plan).

Yeah, you're just training for running now. Yeah, StrongLifts is better for gaining strength, and there are probably better triathlon/running specific routines out there. The Friel stuff will be plenty for what you're trying to accomplish and is approachable enough.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
The first program here is very similar to StrongLifts, adding conditioning.
Yep. I think it's a reasonable start because it introduces people to RPE, which might be beneficial to endurance athletes who need a way to auto-regulate fatigue.

Starting Strength openly wants you to add weight every single workout no matter the fatigue cost or injury risk. They also want you to gain as much bodyweight as possible (okay, not in EVERY case, but they would 100% tell an endurance athlete to gain 20+ lbs in 12 weeks). I'm not familiar enough with StrongLifts to comment on it.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:32 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i don't know anything about this. when did his book move from "solid strength training for the basic lifts" to "smoking hot garbage written by an idiot"?
It's sort of like hipster music. Once a lot of people know about it it's not worth listening to anymore.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:45 AM
SOA

College: UW Whitewater
Favorite beer: FFF GBH/NG Moon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
used Mike Matthew's book Bigger, Leaner, Stronger. He also has one aimed at women called Thinner, Leaner, Stronger.
This is what the women continuously referred to using in my tri training group.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:45 PM
SOA AAA

I don't think there is any reason to listen to someone who would routinely insult me in order to make himself feel good. If what he's saying about lifting is correct, then I'll find someone with a nicer disposition to say it to me.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art