Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-04-2019, 10:33 AM
Non-Actuary

Default Entry Level Resume Advice

Graduated in May with a good GPA but no actuarial internships (or any internships for that matter); I decided on the actuarial field as I was graduating which is why I didn't take any exams while I was still in school.

Any tips for improving my resume are appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Actuarial Resume Fall 2019 - Copy.pdf (112.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 10-07-2019, 01:02 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

The overall format will stand out even more if you indent all text under the section headings a little. Then you won't need to use bold and all-caps for the section headings.

Putting the pass/sitting in parenthesis and sticking it right next to the exam makes it harder to read. I'd get rid of the parentheses and make it another left-aligned column fairly near the exam name.

I'd abbreviate months everywhere. It's just a little easier to read imo.

I'd keep only dates on the right margin. I'd put the city, st after the school/employer, separated by a comma.

GPA is more important than summa cum laude. scl is a reflection of gpa, but varies by school. GPA says more, more easily. People look for it specifically and, if they don't see, may assume the worst if they don't notice the scl. I'm no really keen on coursework, especially when two of the three listed courses seem fairly obvious given your majors. Plus, what, you're talking about integration on the complex plane? Is that relevant?

I'd not bother splitting experience into two sections.

The jobs are all fairly obvious, so you do need all those bullets. You end up with very weak bullets - "met with", "assisted professor", "helped students". Duh. Keep it simple and stronger. "Taught ....subjects (not official course titles)".

I might become just a Tutor so you can add a "Taught calculus" bullet, too.

Co-led doesn't sound like leading at all. Were you in any semi-official position of authority over other clerks or did you once ask someone to do something? I'm guessing it's the latter, which makes this on the borderline between complete BS and an outright lie. Be careful. If you really were in a position of authority, I'd avoid co-led and "among". Oh, and I'd not mention tasks, even if it is someone else doing them. Having someone else do tasks has a somewhat micromanage-y feeling to me.

"Assisted" is also a weak start. How did you assist with inventory? Say what you did without bringing the manager into it. What the manager did is irrelevant.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE