Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 10-13-2019, 03:22 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylartheactuary View Post
How generous are you guys usually with partial credit? I'm doing pretty well on the exams but feel like it's largely due to me being overly generous with the partial credit I assign. Is there any methodology you guys follow?
I've been giving myself about half of the points if the formulas were more or less correct, but I couldn't figure the answer out (for example, if I make a mistake in an integral or something).

I've had a couple written answer questions where I know that I got it right, but I don't know if my explanation was good enough to convey that I knew what I was talking about, so 50% for that as well.

For questions where I don't do any work and just write down the formula, I usually give myself one point (if it's like a 3 pt problem).

Not sure there's a good way to do it. I just try to remember if I'm generous on one part, I'll be harsher on a different part.
APC
Old 10-14-2019, 03:04 PM
SOA

College: Monster University
Favorite beer: Root Beer Count?

Less than two weeks left, but SOA hasn't still updated the exam center yet. Should I expect the exact location sometime this week?
Old 10-14-2019, 11:08 PM
CAS

I just tried ASM Practice Exam 1 today. I got 15/20 on MC and 25/56 on WA, for a total of 57%. Does anyone knows the dificulty of those practice exams compared to the real one?
Old 10-15-2019, 12:46 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSam88 View Post
I just tried ASM Practice Exam 1 today. I got 15/20 on MC and 25/56 on WA, for a total of 57%. Does anyone knows the dificulty of those practice exams compared to the real one?
Finally, found someone who is already studying using ASM! People say that ASM is much harder than the real thing and I have experienced that too.The questions are not reasonable for a 4-hour exam but will use them as study tool anyway.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:58 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecko09 View Post
Finally, found someone who is already studying using ASM! People say that ASM is much harder than the real thing and I have experienced that too.The questions are not reasonable for a 4-hour exam but will use them as study tool anyway.
I didn't find the 1st pratice exam that long. I did a stupid mistake on the MC (so I lost 2 pts there), and some points on the WA I completed, which is normal. The problem for me was that I have completely choked on the first 2 WA questions, which was worth 20 pts. It was material I was able to manage, but I just choked lol. I still had like 40-45 minutes to do them...

Did you write a couple of the practice exams yet?
Old 10-16-2019, 02:24 AM
SOA

Quote:
I didn't find the 1st pratice exam that long. I did a stupid mistake on the MC (so I lost 2 pts there), and some points on the WA I completed, which is normal. The problem for me was that I have completely choked on the first 2 WA questions, which was worth 20 pts. It was material I was able to manage, but I just choked lol. I still had like 40-45 minutes to do them...

Did you write a couple of the practice exams yet?
Are you talking about Spring 2019 and Fall 2018? If yes, then yeah I have tried them and they are far less difficulty than some of the ASM exams.

I do acknowledge that the first few ASM exams are manageable but if you reach exams 6 and up, then you'll see the big jump in terms of difficulty and trickiness.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:00 AM
CAS

Quote:
Are you talking about Spring 2019 and Fall 2018? If yes, then yeah I have tried them and they are far less difficulty than some of the ASM exams.

I do acknowledge that the first few ASM exams are manageable but if you reach exams 6 and up, then you'll see the big jump in terms of difficulty and trickiness.
No I was talking about the ASM exams, but it's still good to know. So the first few ASM are manageable but are still more difficult than the Spring 2019 and Fall 2018? Or is it comparable and only the exams 6 and up are more difficult?
Old 10-17-2019, 05:40 AM
SOA

Quote:
No I was talking about the ASM exams, but it's still good to know. So the first few ASM are manageable but are still more difficult than the Spring 2019 and Fall 2018? Or is it comparable and only the exams 6 and up are more difficult?
Well, I think it is for you to find out. I found exams 10 and 11 to be somewhat doable. By the way, I am talking about Multiple choice questions whose difficulty are a bit off from the actual exam. Even SOA has acknowledged that fact.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:48 PM
CAS

Quote:
Well, I think it is for you to find out. I found exams 10 and 11 to be somewhat doable. By the way, I am talking about Multiple choice questions whose difficulty are a bit off from the actual exam. Even SOA has acknowledged that fact.
Ok so you already did a lot of practice exams! I will be able to do a few ones only until friday.

So the MC are more difficult but the WA are quite the same?

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 10-17-2019, 08:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
Ok so you already did a lot of practice exams! I will be able to do a few ones only until friday.

So the MC are more difficult but the WA are quite the same?

Thanks for your feedback!
Yes! Because I really thought that the WA portion of Fall 2018 was a bit tough. ASM's WA questions are so diverse, i.e some are a bit easy and some are almost impossible. The issue I have with ASM is that they do not have much of SOA's style wherein they ask you to validate a certain value, for example, "Show that the gross premium is XXX to the nearest 10".

Tags
nimpo fsa no jutsu.