Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 10-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Muppet Queen
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for my yearly physical
Favorite beer: battered onion rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
I'm not sure who the 'black shadow' is, but I do know who SirVLCIV is referring to and I hope it's not the same person.

Frankly, I'm surprised that DW Simpson is allowing this conversation to continue. I have been placed at a position through DW Simpson, and also through the recruiter SirVLCIV is referencing. Both were very professional and I'm very glad to have worked with each throughout my career.

DW Simpson owns this board and I respect the rule* of not mentioning other recruiters. I wish that rule extended to bad mouthing as it's in poor taste.

SirVLCIV, I can tell you're still in college since you don't seem to understand that recruiters are very valuable and having good relationships with a number of them is never a bad thing.

Edit: *I do not know if this is an official rule or an unspoken rule as mlschop pointed out. I thought I had read it somewhere on this forum in the past, but I could very well be wrong.
There's a fine line here, which I'll admit we're straddling. I won't name names of those who truly are actuarial recruiters (as opposed to general recruiters who don't know jack about actuaries, but claim to place them). The person named "black shadow" is an actuarial recruiter. If you ever met her, you'd understand. The one I spoke of earlier, she's called me off and on for years, and can never remember talking to me ever, then passes me off to an associate, and another. Really annoying. This is completely different from the guy I deal with at DWS, who's really nice, and we chat periodically. And the one from the Vegas outfit, whom I've actually met, and like a lot.

That being said, it doesn't hurt to have contacts among the recruitment firms. They sometimes have better info about the jobs out there than you could find thru other means.

Life sucks like a hoover. Grab the handle or get in the bag. fun king ded
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...82&postcount=5 Maine-iac thinks I'm smart
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...0&postcount=10 So does Westley!
Old 10-27-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Mo View Post
I won't name names of those who truly are actuarial recruiters (as opposed to general recruiters who don't know jack about actuaries, but claim to place them).
I was able to get an interview with a hedge fund doing non traditional actuarial work through a general recruiter who didn't know jack about actuaries (but claimed to). Even they have their advantages since many times their contact list is different than the traditional actuarial recruiters.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Muppet Queen
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for my yearly physical
Favorite beer: battered onion rings

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Mo View Post
I won't name names of those who truly are actuarial recruiters (as opposed to general recruiters who don't know jack about actuaries, but claim to place them).
I was able to get an interview with a hedge fund doing non traditional actuarial work through a general recruiter who didn't know jack about actuaries (but claimed to). Even they have their advantages since many times their contact list is different than the traditional actuarial recruiters.
but, for traditional actuarial jobs, they're not the best people to talk to.

I forgot to mention this...YMMV, so you might find one of these recruiters works for you. great. these are just my experiences.

Life sucks like a hoover. Grab the handle or get in the bag. fun king ded
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...82&postcount=5 Maine-iac thinks I'm smart
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...0&postcount=10 So does Westley!
Old 10-27-2006, 05:00 PM

Quote:
through a general recruiter who didn't know jack about actuaries (but claimed to).
I'll agree with you that sometimes they are valuable, but honestly, your own comments show that this person is not honest. Deal with them often enough and you'll get burned. I'd rather deal with somebody that's honest every time, regardless.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

Quote:
Frankly, I'm surprised that DW Simpson is allowing this conversation to continue.
I've read very little of what's above this post or what's below it.

You know what I'm finding out as this board grows? I'm finding out that even I don't have the time necessary to read every professional post. So when you think this, that and the other thing, it might simply instead mean that somebody overworked hasn't had time to read whatever it is in question.

The mods are volunteers. Tom is responsible for managing the site, which include far more things than just the content. Nobody else from DWS posts here. So really what you should have said is, "I'm surprised Claude hasn't read this thread."

Say it with me, "I'm surprised Claude hasn't read this thread."

When I get around to it, I'll read it and make suggestions to the mods accordingly and then they'll make a final call.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:27 PM

Danny Boy - I agree that this thread is borderline, but I don't have a problem. If you do, feel free to use the "report post" feature - red triangle to the top right of each post - and let the mods know you have an issue, and they will review it. I think they shouldn't be naming names. Given how close they have come - these people are identifiable to some people that are reading, I'm sure - I am concerned, but not concerned enough to report it myself.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:28 PM
SOA

Quote:
SirVLCIV, I can tell you're still in college since you don't seem to understand that recruiters are very valuable and having good relationships with a number of them is never a bad thing.
I don't know what you're commenting on, but it certainly isn't anything I wrote.

I fully appreciate the role recruiters hold in the contemporary employer/employee seeking relationship, and respect those who do their job well. I fully intend on utilizing the services of our site sponsor when the time comes, along with searching on my own.

However, in the case of the recruiter I mentioned (I don't recall the name of the firm), I would think that getting students as they -left- an exam might be a better tack than approaching them as they're nervously approaching uncertain death, no? I was more worried about making certain I knew how to reset my calculator settings than finding a recruiting firm.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
If you do, feel free to use the "report post" feature - red triangle to the top right of each post - and let the mods know you have an issue, and they will review it.
That is one beautiful idea.

Do that and you can leave me out of it. I always prefer less work to more.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:31 PM

Claude,

I'm sorry if I offended you and i can see that the way I worded it could be taken as offensive to DW Simpson. Rather, I meant to infer that DW Simpson has high level of standards and I'm surprised that this thread is still around (you did comment in it).

If it makes you feel better: I'm surprised Claude hasn't read this thread.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Claude,

I'm sorry if I offended you and i can see that the way I worded it could be taken as offensive to DW Simpson. Rather, I meant to infer that DW Simpson has high level of standards and I'm surprised that this thread is still around (you did comment in it).

If it makes you feel better: I'm surprised Claude hasn't read this thread.
<Chuckle>, yeah, I glanced at the beginning of the thread and I hadn't recalled commenting. That's wild (although it was three years ago).

I did now read the whole thread. Seriously, please do click the little exclamation point thingie regarding what post(s) you believe went over the line. I'm not sure that I can make this call as I'm a little loopy from Friday afternoon-ness.