Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:07 PM
urbansombrero

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Hodge_Podge View Post
go on
Apart from having cool stories to talk about, it does nothing to make you a better donkey. I just find it hilarious that you list those things when you probably spend 95% of your time plugging data into excel. Does your company do business in Asia, Australia, Africa? Are you in charge of business development in other countries? No, you are an actuary.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansombrero View Post
I just find it hilarious that you list those things when you probably spend 95% of your time plugging data into excel.
that's not the experiences i've had. i think this may be typical in your 1st year (wasn't mine), but eventually you are expected to use your brain. after your first year half your job is to explain your results to management/other departments/DOI.

Quote:
Does your company do business in Asia, Australia, Africa?
no, but some of my coworkers are from these places!

plus, have you met some of the the actuaries out there? they might as well be from another planet. being able to learn to work with different types of people effectively is key.

Quote:
No, you are an actuary.
just like an academic to read about a profession and think they know all there is to know about said profession. you don't work in the field, so why pretend you know what it takes?
Old 11-17-2011, 03:30 PM
urbansombrero

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Hodge_Podge View Post
that's not the experiences i've had. i think this may be typical in your 1st year (wasn't mine), but eventually you are expected to use your brain. after your first year half your job is to explain your results to management/other departments/DOI.

no, but some of my coworkers are from these places!

plus, have you met some of the the actuaries out there? they might as well be from another planet. being able to learn to work with different types of people effectively is key.

just like an academic to read about a profession and think they know all there is to know about said profession. you don't work in the field, so why pretend you know what it takes?
Spoiler:
Bro, I could troll the asian community here but I will restrain myself.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:41 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Apart from having cool stories to talk about, it does nothing to make you a better donkey. I just find it hilarious that you list those things when you probably spend 95% of your time plugging data into excel. Does your company do business in Asia, Australia, Africa? Are you in charge of business development in other countries? No, you are an actuary.
Um, yes, at my company we do business in Asia, Australia and Africa. Hence the importance placed on a person's interest and willingness to travel internationally.

PS. I agree for EL I prefer to see an actuarial internship, but if you made a late decision to become an actuary or are a career changer coming from another profession, I will not hold the lack of one against you.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:39 AM
SOA

College: Senior at a CAE

Quote:
Actuaries are business people. They have meetings, work in teams, make pie charts, etc. Unless you are working for some specialized reinsurer, you are not going to get a job based purely on your intellectual abilities. I have been trying to make this point for a long time. I dont know why people fight this. Just look at how bertuary does hiring. It is so easy to get a job if you plan ahead. Just join some dumb club or make up your own club and call yourself "president". Work part-time during school at wal mart or something and just maintain a 3.5 gpa. Seriously how hard is it to get a 3.5 at some mediocre state school? Probably need to put in at most 15 hours of studying a week. Just do past exams two weeks prior to the exam and get an A-, B+. It is just a game.

The exams are difficult for the wrong reasons. They just give too many questions. The questions are all easy to solve (mostly involving applying some formula and doing some integral) but you need to know how to do them in advance or else you run out of time. Actuarial students spend probably 70% of their study doing the same problems over and over and over again so that when exam time comes they will be able to do the problems quickly and efficiently. How does that prepare you to be an actuary? It doesnt at all. It just shows that you are a hard worker and can apply certain formulas. I think like 90% of MFE material is utterly useless in the real world. Have you seen the upper level CAS exams? It is even worse. They give you like 40 questions that you need to complete (under huge pressure no doubt) in like 4 hours. Why? Why? Yet another calculator contest.

If you are a bright guy who went through a tough program* in college while maintaing a near perfect GPA then do yourself a favor and dont get too obsessed with the actuarial profession. There are other and better options out there. That being said, keep applying for actuarial jobs but dont be surprised if no one is calling you for interviews. You might get lucky and get some company that values your kind. They are rare but Im sure they exist.

* does not include AS at Uconn.
Great post bro, can you give me some ideas about what type of clubs I could open? I wanna follow your advice and become the prez of a club
Old 11-19-2011, 11:52 AM

My opinion is that you state to the company that the exams were not difficult for you to pass... so you go through them rather quickly.... point blank....

A half a dozen of my friends, probably more, passed all their prelims in no more than 2 years.
Hypothetical
November 2011 (Take P and FM together)
May 2012 (Sit MLC)
June 2012 (Begin FAP Modules)
November 2012 (Sit MFE)
December 2012 (Interim Assessment FAP)
February 2013 (Take C)
April 2013 (Final Assessment FAP)
May 2013 (VEE out of the way)
July 2013 (Professionalism Course)

Less than 2 years you have your ASA. In our country this is a bit of a stretch, but US education is not exactly what you call at par with Europe and Asia. Overseas this time schedule I put out above could be regarded a minimum expectation of a college student.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:04 PM

this may sound abnoxiously arrogant, I won't disagree there, but the benefits outweigh the negatives because it demonstrates that you did not exhaust resources to get to 5 Exams passed... it was more like if you have a cake in front of you, and a plastic fork....it takes a little bit effort to eat it
Old 11-19-2011, 12:53 PM
SOA

How many exams did you pass in 2 years?

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Old 08-14-2019, 05:56 PM

lol that's a good necro. This thread has some great names in it.

Now go find the exact same thread with Phil and AAABBBCCC in it. I'm sure it exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Spoiler:
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.

Tags
necro