Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 10-14-2013, 08:29 PM
CAS SOA

Default Does any one hire CERA's?

I'm currently concerned about my future in the health actuarial field with the gloomy future that seems to be PPACA. I was wondering if anyone such as banks are actually hiring CERA actuaries. What type of positions do these particular analysts do? Are they competitive among CFA's?

As well, how do you market such a designation?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:32 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgey8806 View Post
I was wondering if anyone ... are actually hiring CERA actuaries.

you got scammed by the SOA
Old 10-14-2013, 08:39 PM
CAS SOA

Lol, well I didn't go that route, but I wanted to research before I do anything rash such as that. Also to fix my grammar: ... if anyone ... is* ...
Old 10-14-2013, 09:06 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: FBS/KBS/CBS

I would say 75% of the job descriptions I've seen with 'CERA' listed as a required designation only list it as one of several designations a candidate could have to be eligible for the position. Unless the position has something to the effect of 'Risk Manager' in the title, an ASA will usually suffice. As someone who is taking the ERM exam in two weeks, I can't imagine a company paying me money to manage risks simply based on my knowledge of the course material.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:17 AM

Financial risk managers would generally have an MBA with possibly a CFA, FRM o PRM. Traditional risk managers who are primarily involved in managing property and and liability risks would have a CPCU, ARM or both. The idea of enterprise risk management was merge both aspects of risk management into a coordinated strategy. You need general business skills and industry specific knowledge to be an effective enterprise risk manager.
The quantitative, statistical aspects are quite minimal.

CERAs are qualified to manage insurance company risks. I will change my view when I see a double digit list of individuals with the qualification working in risk management outside the insurance industry.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic Actuary View Post
Financial risk managers would generally have an MBA with possibly a CFA, FRM o PRM. Traditional risk managers who are primarily involved in managing property and and liability risks would have a CPCU, ARM or both. The idea of enterprise risk management was merge both aspects of risk management into a coordinated strategy. You need general business skills and industry specific knowledge to be an effective enterprise risk manager.

CERAs are qualified to manage insurance company risks. I will change my view when I see a double digit list of individuals with the qualification working in risk management outside the insurance industry.
What about know? I see SOA CERAs that work in banking and investment on the Actuarial Directory.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:34 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 764dak View Post
What about know? I see SOA CERAs that work in banking and investment on the Actuarial Directory.
A lot of those people had the risk jobs before getting CERA. Some got it via the experienced practitioner pathway when CERA was started. The credential is a scam for the most part. You're better off getting FRM, or PRM.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:03 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
This is flat out wrong. You are describing the folks in financial risk that are not Actuaries. They mostly work in risk reporting.

Financial Risk Actuaries easily have the highest level of quantitative knowledge out of all the sub-specialties, as it requires a high degree of technical skills.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
This is flat out wrong. You are describing the folks in financial risk that are not Actuaries. They mostly work in risk reporting.

Financial Risk Actuaries easily have the highest level of quantitative knowledge out of all the sub-specialties, as it requires a high degree of technical skills.
That is correct. I am describing people that are not Actuaries. That was the intent of the CERA designation. It was intended to be a designation that would be recognized beyond actuarial confines. Will the designation get you an interview at Goldman Sachs?
Old 08-20-2018, 10:12 AM
CAS

Quote:
That is correct. I am describing people that are not Actuaries. That was the intent of the CERA designation. It was intended to be a designation that would be recognized beyond actuarial confines. Will the designation get you an interview at Goldman Sachs?
Was it really? FCAS's can get a CERA by merely taking IFoA's ST-9. Doesn't seem like a broad enough exposure beyond the insurance world.

Tags
asa, cera, fsa, maaa