Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-07-2015, 04:41 PM

hasnt been mentioned yet, so I will ask if it's a bureaucratic step and they want a fellow to sign rather than an associate of the relevant society?
Old 04-07-2015, 04:45 PM
SOA

My apologies, a bit of clarification:

The denial isn't because I'm wickedly incompetent. They're denying the rate increase because in their opinion the original rates approved in 2002 were not priced with minimal competence. And as an answer to the above, the final correspondence goes out with the approval and signature of my boss, who is a FSA.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:54 PM

Sounds like a bad choice of words. What is the coverage-is this an individual DI policy? If so, is the increase only designed to make future premiums (new business plus existing business) adequate, or are you somehow trying to make up for 12 years of "losses"? What is x equal to? Is it interest rates, recovery rates, disability frequency at particular durations or particular ages, etc. I can see where a DOI isn't going to give you a 60% increase because of initial pricing assumptions being way off, but they might entertain a discussion of phasing something in over a period of time. IMO, approval from a DOI 12 years ago won't (and shouldn't) buy you anything.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:08 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by actexp View Post
Sounds like a bad choice of words. What is the coverage-is this an individual DI policy? If so, is the increase only designed to make future premiums (new business plus existing business) adequate, or are you somehow trying to make up for 12 years of "losses"? What is x equal to? Is it interest rates, recovery rates, disability frequency at particular durations or particular ages, etc. I can see where a DOI isn't going to give you a 60% increase because of initial pricing assumptions being way off, but they might entertain a discussion of phasing something in over a period of time. IMO, approval from a DOI 12 years ago won't (and shouldn't) buy you anything.
Yes, individual DI. The increases are to restore the loss ratio to reasonable levels, about 15% worse than pricing. Thank you for the last comment, I wasn't sure if previous DOI approval meant anything in the actuarial world.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:35 AM

15% on a 12 year old block doesn't sound unreasonable, assuming the 15% is to make all future premiums adequate and prior years' underpricing has been swallowed forevermore by your company during those intervening years. If law allows you to file for rate increases, suggest you call the DOI actuary. Might have to trim back some of your assumptions and not get whole 15%, but that is point of discussion. See where they are coming from and what specific objections are.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:45 AM

Send back an email: "u callin me dum, bro?"
Old 04-08-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldaine View Post
My apologies, a bit of clarification:

The denial isn't because I'm wickedly incompetent. They're denying the rate increase because in their opinion the original rates approved in 2002 were not priced with minimal competence. And as an answer to the above, the final correspondence goes out with the approval and signature of my boss, who is a FSA.
What? 2002? Ninja-risk-acknowledged, but: More background is needed.

-----edited to add------

I see some more background was given. You need more detail from the reviewing actuary for sure.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:57 PM
SOA

Final resolution to all this, the DOI ended up withdrawing the filing. That's another oddity, I know the requesting company can withdraw, and the DOI can disapprove but I've never had the DOI withdraw it for us.

Oh well, it'll be whomever does the filings next year's problem now.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:09 PM

Florida. Amirite???
Old 04-14-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldaine View Post
Final resolution to all this, the DOI ended up withdrawing the filing. That's another oddity, I know the requesting company can withdraw, and the DOI can disapprove but I've never had the DOI withdraw it for us.

Oh well, it'll be whomever does the filings next year's problem now.
That's a serff term that DOIs use when they are essentially disapproving and closing out a rate filing. Your company/boss or yourself should be talking to the DOI and re-filing, not just punting until next year, imo.