Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 04-21-2015, 05:32 PM
SOA

Default Looking to change career and get into Actuarial profession

Hi..I am looking to change over into Actuarial Career. I have 7+ yrs in consulting experience where I have worked as Data/Business Analyst. I have good experience in Insurance industry and worked with Actuarial, Claims and policy administration departments. I have passed Exam P and FM, and currently am preparing for Exam MFE. I also have experience in SAS, Alteryx and currently evaluating other modelling tools. What are the other things I can learn so that I can portray my interest in the actuarial career as serious and genuine and so that my resume will be looked into with curiosity.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:39 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterjeesidd View Post
Hi..I am looking to change over into Actuarial Career. I have 7+ yrs in consulting experience where I have worked as Data/Business Analyst. I have good experience in Insurance industry and worked with Actuarial, Claims and policy administration departments. I have passed Exam P and FM, and currently am preparing for Exam MFE. I also have experience in SAS, Alteryx and currently evaluating other modelling tools. What are the other things I can learn so that I can portray my interest in the actuarial career as serious and genuine and so that my resume will be looked into with curiosity.
Modeling of Life Contingencies
Modeling of Financial Economics
Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
Old 04-21-2015, 05:43 PM

Have you had trouble getting interviews? Because your resume sound like it should get attention.

Also, have you posted your resume in the resume section? There are amazing people there who can help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Spoiler:
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:46 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: FBS/KBS/CBS

Well are you in Canada or India?
Old 04-21-2015, 06:05 PM
SOA

I am in US, based out of NY and I am ready to relocate if required. I haven't appplied to jobs outside yet and am planning to start, so needed to get some guidance. I may already have some skills which may be transferable in the actuarial profession. Some new knowledge which I may acquire as I keep looking for change in career. I am attaching my resume, please be blunt and let me know where I can improve and what I can learn new and add more.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!!

Last edited by chatterjeesidd; 04-21-2015 at 07:58 PM..
Old 04-21-2015, 07:01 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterjeesidd View Post
I am in US, based out of NY and I am ready to relocate if required. I haven't appplied to jobs outside yet and am planning to start, so needed to get some guidance. I may already have some skills which may be transferable in the actuarial profession. Some new knowledge which I may acquire as I keep looking for change in career. I am attaching my resume, please be blunt and let me know where I can improve and what I can learn new and add more.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!!
remove all your personal info from that and repost it dude. anything that can be used to identify you.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:13 PM
SOA

and why do you want to switch to actuarial?
Old 04-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracktuary View Post
remove all your personal info from that and repost it dude. anything that can be used to identify you.

From a quick glance at your resume I closed it instantly the moment I saw it's 3 pages long. I suggest getting some resume advice from the "Resume & Cover Letter Advice" subforum.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:40 PM
CAS

I responded in the resume forum, but right now your resume is WAY too long. Cut it down and make it a summary - it should be highlights of your career, not everything, and you have a lot of fluff. Non-traditionally formatted resumes can hurt your job search.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:03 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post

From a quick glance at your resume I closed it instantly the moment I saw it's 3 pages long. I suggest getting some resume advice from the "Resume & Cover Letter Advice" subforum.
His resume needs work, but a 3 page resume is not unheard of for experienced hires.

Tags
analyst, career changer, consulting