Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-15-2018, 05:03 PM
CAS SOA

College: Stevens Institute of Technology
Default Starting an internship

I will be starting my first ever internship (First day is June 4th) as a retirement consulting actuary at Aon Hewitt.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me from your experience on what specifically I can do to give myself the best shot at landing the full time position and learning the most I can. I have never had a professional job before (I have worked side jobs throughout college) so any advice would seriously help

A little background info is, Im currently a senior and i only have one more semester till i graduate (Fall 2018), just passed my 3rd exam MFE in the march sitting, and only have basic knowledge in excel. This leads me to my second question which is, do you think it is worth it to buy the infinite actuary technical training course which goes over excel,vba,sas,sql... etc. for actuaries?
Old 05-15-2018, 05:08 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarramdan View Post
I will be starting my first ever internship (First day is June 4th) as a retirement consulting actuary at Aon Hewitt.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me from your experience on what specifically I can do to give myself the best shot at landing the full time position and learning the most I can. I have never had a professional job before (I have worked side jobs throughout college) so any advice would seriously help

A little background info is, Im currently a senior and i only have one more semester till i graduate (Fall 2018), just passed my 3rd exam MFE in the march sitting, and only have basic knowledge in excel. This leads me to my second question which is, do you think it is worth it to buy the infinite actuary technical training course which goes over excel,vba,sas,sql... etc. for actuaries?
Just do your best, ask questions when necessary and try not to ask the same question multiple times. Otherwise, all you really need to do is keep your head down and work on what they give you.

Side note, you dont want retirement to be your only offer. Make sure you use the offer you get to leverage into a field that has better career prospects.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:15 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:

I used to work in retirement at AH. Interns weren't expected to know how to use Excel all that much; most of the tools you'll be using are templates that have already been set up, and require inputs.

You might use some VBA, but I know pretty much nothing about SAS and SQL and I was a retirement actuary for almost ten years.

Might be worthwhile to teach yourself some basic Excel stuff (vlookups, pivot tables, index, formatting cells, etc) before then, but don't sweat it too much. You'll pick it up on the job quickly, and if it's anything like it was when I worked there a few years ago, they'll even have some online trainings you can take there specific to Excel.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:17 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.

Oh, by the way, it's just Aon now. No more Hewitt.

And I agree with the previous poster as well. Retirement is a very stressful job and isn't getting any bigger. It's great for getting your foot in the door, but if you don't mind you're passionate about retirement, or consulting, examine all your options before taking a full time job.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:26 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
Oh, by the way, it's just Aon now. No more Hewitt.

And I agree with the previous poster as well. Retirement is a very stressful job and isn't getting any bigger. It's great for getting your foot in the door, but if you don't mind you're passionate about retirement, or consulting, examine all your options before taking a full time job.
I am very interested in investment, I was even planning on taking the level 1 CFA exam this december (I obviously won't know what i prefer till i work and see what its like). In your experience do you think Aon is a good company to work for? Any bad experiences with them? Is there good potential to grow, less stress on passing exams since it is a consulting job, solid bonuses?
Old 05-15-2018, 05:27 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracktuary View Post
Just do your best, ask questions when necessary and try not to ask the same question multiple times. Otherwise, all you really need to do is keep your head down and work on what they give you.

Side note, you dont want retirement to be your only offer. Make sure you use the offer you get to leverage into a field that has better career prospects.
Thank you very much for the feedback! Will do
Old 05-15-2018, 05:34 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.

Quote:
I am very interested in investment, I was even planning on taking the level 1 CFA exam this december (I obviously won't know what i prefer till i work and see what its like). In your experience do you think Aon is a good company to work for? Any bad experiences with them? Is there good potential to grow, less stress on passing exams since it is a consulting job, solid bonuses?
I liked working there for a long time. I was a hard worker and got promoted quickly and was happy, until I wasn't. Each office's culture is different, and for me that was 90% of my source of happiness. I don't suspect you'd be working in the same office I did, so my history there likely isn't relevant.

The hours are long (probably not as an intern, though), there is no recognition for going above and beyond, and billable hours are awful. Bonuses and raises are tied to company performance, not individual performance, and the company sets ridiculous growth expectations despite the fact that there is no growth to be found.

But, that's retirement consulting, and it's the same at any consulting company you work.

I don't know about investments. I know Aon does it, but I never worked with that area.

In regards to the "no pressure to pass exams" comment, I used to see that as a good thing. But there's a reason they don't pressure you to pass exams - you'll find it challenging to adequately study for them. You'll be lucky to take your study time, and you'll be working long hours, making it hard to study on your own time as well.

Not passing exams makes you less marketable if you want to switch out of consulting. It also makes it more likely you'll be underpaid, since exam raises are guaranteed and performance raises are not. There were several years when I worked there that I got a 0% raise, despite getting 4's and 5's on my annual reviews, because the company had no budget for performance raises, for anyone.

Again, this is the nature of pension consulting, and it's a big reason why I wanted out, and I don't regret getting out for a second. Also, it makes me pretty biased.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:17 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:

Hang out with people in the other Aon subs so you don't end up in pensions imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:46 PM
CAS

Does Hewitt still do "free" food all day long?
Old 05-15-2018, 08:34 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Does Hewitt still do "free" food all day long?
No. Not since they went public.

Tags
aon, internship, tips