Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-15-2018, 01:29 PM
CAS

What do y'all mean when you say someone who passed exams quickly is underpaid? What are you comparing to? It seems to me that if they get decent exam and credential raises while passing exams quickly then there shouldn't be an issue with their salary vs exams+years of experience combo.

So they will be making more than the average analyst with fewer exams and same experience, but less than the average analyst with same exams but more exams. I don't see an issue with that.

Last edited by OnLevel; 08-15-2018 at 01:32 PM..
Old 08-15-2018, 02:07 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnLevel View Post
What do y'all mean when you say someone who passed exams quickly is underpaid? What are you comparing to? It seems to me that if they get decent exam and credential raises while passing exams quickly then there shouldn't be an issue with their salary vs exams+years of experience combo.

So they will be making more than the average analyst with fewer exams and same experience, but less than the average analyst with same exams but more exams. I don't see an issue with that.
Your company can redline your annual raises if they feel like your work is not commensurate with your compensation.

i've seen this happen and it creates a lot of anxiety for people.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:35 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:

Well, take the difference between ACAS and FCAS in the 3-5 years exp cell in the DWS survey for instance:

90k - 138k

vs

110k - 162k

That figure goes up by at least 20k on each side of the band. So if you get something like $5k for your last exam, you may end up being underpaid. There are some companies that will boost you by more than 20k, but there are also some that won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:06 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Well, take the difference between ACAS and FCAS in the 3-5 years exp cell in the DWS survey for instance:

90k - 138k

vs

110k - 162k

That figure goes up by at least 20k on each side of the band. So if you get something like $5k for your last exam, you may end up being underpaid. There are some companies that will boost you by more than 20k, but there are also some that won't.
I bet some of the difference can be explained by people with FCAS getting promoted to higher job titles than people with ACAS (like Assistant Actuary vs. Actuary). So in addition to exam/credential raises, they get job title raises as well that require FCAS. That's how it is at my current company.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:08 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracktuary View Post
Your company can redline your annual raises if they feel like your work is not commensurate with your compensation.

i've seen this happen and it creates a lot of anxiety for people.
If your work is not commensurate with your compensation, then why should the company be paying you?
Old 08-15-2018, 03:24 PM
CAS

Studying for Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post

90k - 138k

vs

110k - 162k

I would be willing to wager that the average experience in the 2nd group is higher than in the first; i.e. there aren't too many FCAS with 3 or 4 years experience.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:40 PM
CAS

Quote:
If your work is not commensurate with your compensation, then why should the company be paying you?
Because your pre exam pass salary was commensurate and now all of a sudden you passed two exams and got your ASA. Itís not unheard of for a analysts salary to increase by 25-30% in a short period of time.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:19 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!!!!!

Entry level at my company (low COL) is probably more around 45K. With three exams, maybe a bit more, not sure.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:52 PM

College: About to be a super senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTreaty View Post
Entry level at my company (low COL) is probably more around 45K. With three exams, maybe a bit more, not sure.
Did you time travel from 2008?
Old 08-16-2018, 04:57 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
Did you time travel from 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.

Tags
consulting, entry level, entry level advice, salary, salary range