Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 10-11-2019, 04:47 PM
CAS

Default Life savings on roullete?

So I'm at the point now where I'm certain I dont want to continue as an actuary and am morbidly depressed. and no this isnt a troll post. I have about 10k saved up (I've only worked for 3 months so far), and I know this is NOTHING but I can't deal with the misery of working in an office. I'm actually working for a better paying company making 80k for an out-of-college analyst role, but my savings increases sooo slowly after groceries, rent, electricity, and other necessary costs (rate of around 2k a month maybe). I dont think I can work another two years at this place just to save up 60k and see it all eaten away for a post bacc. Any ideas on what I should do here?

Right now I'm applying to a bunch of easy office jobs (mostly in the government) that have pretty low pay but can sustain a minimalist lifestyle as well as paying a portion of my future post bacc tuition. My friend is suggest I just take loans (I dont have any outstanding loans currently), but I would prefer that to be a last option. Any ideas?
Old 10-11-2019, 04:50 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Find a sugar-daddy (or sugar-mama)
Old 10-11-2019, 04:51 PM
SOA

Is "post bacc" grad school? What kind? You don't need savings for that.

Many programs will give you a TA position or something similar to pay for the school and give you money to live on.

The exception is things like med school/MBA/law. But those lead to high paying jobs so you can take out loans
Old 10-11-2019, 04:52 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for G&H DP-A+FV-A
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Loans sound like a terrible idea unless you are switching to a much better paying career - and even then, how do you know you won't get bored and hate that job too?

I did something similar in my early 20s - took out loans (only like 10k though) and went without a "real job" for a while to take post-bacc undergrad classes and switch careers. I was leaving teaching, though, and became an actuary, so the investment wasn't too terrible.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:52 PM
CAS

Figure out what it is that you think you could sustainably do, and try to take steps to get yourself closer to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Yes, well, that's partially the result of my robust education. I was exposed to far more than a narrow money-making selection of classes. The influence of art, literature, and other liberal arts makes it easier for me to write coherently in a format significantly longer than 140 characters. Additionally, I am able to use colorful terms that illustrate my ideas, words that exceed two syllables in length, and even proper punctuation (most of the time).
Old 10-11-2019, 04:54 PM
SOA

Lower your costs. At 80k/yr you should be bringing home roughly 4.5k after taxes per month. Find an apartment with some roommates to split the bills and get your costs down to under 1k per month and you will be at 60k in about a year. Dealing with roommates and eating lots of ramen and popcorn will be good training for pinching pennies while you are back in school and trying to live debt-free.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:55 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

If you are going to risk it all on roulette, take out some huge loans first, and bet those too. If you lose, declare bankruptcy.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
Lower your costs. At 80k/yr you should be bringing home roughly 4.5k after taxes per month. Find an apartment with some roommates to split the bills and get your costs down to under 1k per month and you will be at 60k in about a year. Dealing with roommates and eating lots of ramen and popcorn will be good training for pinching pennies while you are back in school and trying to live debt-free.
Have a car? Spending all (or at least most of) your free time driving for Uber or Lyft could shave a couple months off of the plan easily.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:58 PM
SOA

Quote:
Quote:
Have a car? Spending all (or at least most of) your free time driving for Uber or Lyft could shave a couple months off of the plan easily.
How many kidneys you got?

2?

You only really need 1, and from my years of watching crime dramas I've learned that a kidney can get you anywhere from $30k to $50k on the black market.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:00 PM
SOA

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How many kidneys you got?

2?

You only really need 1, and from my years of watching crime dramas I've learned that a kidney can get you anywhere from $30k to $50k on the black market.
If you are female and fertile, you can make quite a bit of money selling eggs or becoming a surrogate. You could save up that 60k in roughly 9 months that way!