Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 03-16-2019, 11:36 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovChains View Post
To be honest I don't really have a stat on these but I probably sent hundreds of resumes in total for everything actuarial related or close to it...I applied to pretty much around 15+ different companies on every job posting they publish that is related to the field.

If it was 100s of resumes at ~15 companies, you need to diversify more. You should be applying to way more than 15 companies.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:35 PM

College: About to be a super senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
How tough is the competition for an entry or low level position these days? I know I interview fairly well, but I also suspect it's more competitive than when I was younger. I've had 4 jobs in 20 years. I never had that many interviews before landing a job I liked.

So... Maybe get a recruiter to help you make sure your resume is polished and paints you in a good light. Get some coaching on interview skills - especially on soft-skills and being personable. In many actuarial jobs, technical skill is only a part of what they're looking for, and is often table-stakes. You need to be adaptable, work well with other people and be a good fit for the team, and have the ability to explain your work in layman's terms effectively.

Above all... don't complain about your prior roles, don't bitch and moan about what you didn't like. Focus on what skills you're looking to augment with the job you're applying for, where you're looking to grow, and what you're wanting to accomplish as a part of their team. Be ready to convince them why you would be the best choice for the role, the company, and the team - what you bring to the table that is uniquely you.
I graduated around 2010. I heard things were very peachy before the 9/11. After 2001, things got tougher, and companies actually started caring about people having exams passed and stuff in college. Now, after the 2008 recession, things were pretty damn bad. I would think that things have gotten slightly better than 2008 - mid 2010s.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:44 PM

College: About to be a super senior

So, what's your total years of experience excluding the internship? What level roles are you applying for? Are you applying for straight up entry level roles and 0-2 yr experience roles? Are you in a non-actuarial position at a pension firm? How is your college GPA? Are you sure you are using actuarial concepts at your work? what kind of stuff do you do? What kind of interview questions do you struggle with? Are they technical questions or behavioral questions?

1. Apply everywhere.
2. Send emails to actuaries at the companies you apply.

I would keep at it full throttle for about 3 months to maybe 6 months. And then, I would cut my losses and look into other fields.
Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
I graduated around 2010. I heard things were very peachy before the 9/11. After 2001, things got tougher, and companies actually started caring about people having exams passed and stuff in college. Now, after the 2008 recession, things were pretty damn bad. I would think that things have gotten slightly better than 2008 - mid 2010s.
Disagree with this based on my experience hiring
Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.
Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

People graduating in 2009 had the fun experience of having 0 jobs to apply to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old Today, 12:40 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

you need to learn new skills and then demonstrate your ability. just look at a job you really want and figure out how to get it. if you don't look inwardly to improve yourself then you'll be complaining your whole life. if you can't find a job it's your own fault

if you have skills that can contribute to society more than an administrative assistant can, then prove it. the indignity should be making you angry
Old Today, 12:43 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

channel the rage, concentrate, learn, boom now you're a data scientist making big bucks. hav fun
Old Today, 12:49 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

it's called having EQ