Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 12-10-2017, 01:38 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Um how about the fact he has no actual actuarial experience as of the time he's getting the credential? I would think that is the exception that would come to mind. He's much better off getting something internal for at least a year imo.
False. I don't do the core actuarial pricing/modeling/reserving type work, but a lot of what I do is tangential and even requires knowledge from the actuarial exams. I'm also constantly interfacing with actuaries that run my company's Annuities business.

That's why literally everybody on my team, except me, is either an actuary or an actuarial associate rotating in from the company's actuarial development program. I'm not wasting my time in this role, and could easily leverage my experience for an "actual actuarial" role.
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunedef View Post
False. I don't do the core actuarial pricing/modeling/reserving type work, but a lot of what I do is tangential and even requires knowledge from the actuarial exams. I'm also constantly interfacing with actuaries that run my company's Annuities business.

That's why literally everybody on my team, except me, is either an actuary or an actuarial associate rotating in from the company's actuarial development program. I'm not wasting my time in this role, and could easily leverage my experience for an "actual actuarial" role.
Best wishes to you. Just know that you are not in a traditional actuarial role and that most actuaries will probably see you exactly as you describe, tangential and valuable, but not an actuary. That can be a fine place to be, and I know several people who have made a career out of being tangential to an actuarial group.

Glad you got the exam raise worked out.