Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Pension - Social Security
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-09-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithHighIQ View Post
Of course, the corporations don't like it that their CEOs and major stockholders will earn just 50x the average person and not 5000x like they are now.
exaggerate much?

The US national working wage is roughly 45 K a year. 5000 X is 225 M a year. How many people do you think make 225 M PER YEAR.

CEO pay should be related to how much value they add to shareholder weath. I don't care if they get paid $1 B a year if they earn it because as a shareholder I reap large gains. I don't care if it's 10,000 times the average worker pay. The relative measure between the two is a useless statistic that people use to suit their commi "everyone needs paid more" crap.

Go start a business and tell me how much you think you need paid compared to the workers you hire.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:34 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam 3F/MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek92 View Post
exaggerate much?

The US national working wage is roughly 45 K a year. 5000 X is 225 M a year. How many people do you think make 225 M PER YEAR.

CEO pay should be related to how much value they add to shareholder weath. I don't care if they get paid $1 B a year if they earn it because as a shareholder I reap large gains. I don't care if it's 10,000 times the average worker pay. The relative measure between the two is a useless statistic that people use to suit their commi "everyone needs paid more" crap.

Go start a business and tell me how much you think you need paid compared to the workers you hire.
Where the hell do you think the money comes from to increase wages?
In a country with low population and no immigration, CEOs are forced to forgo a significant amount of their operation budget for wages, else employees go to other companies.
This is what happened in Japan pre-Abenomics. Companies were making less profit but the citizens were enjoying large wage growth, large savings and falling commodity prices.
Of course, the rich don't like it when the majority are happy, so the Japanese elites got Abe in power in order to drop wages down to 33k from 45k to increase their profits.
All you read is corporate-controlled news sites about how an economy is failing because large businesses aren't making big profits even when wages are rising, unemployment is low/falling, and savings are increasing. The only thing large corporate profits show is how low wages are in the country.

The key to economic success is having less people than there are jobs, leading to real wage rises.
In the current system where corporations have a plethora of candidates to choose from, the operation budget that could have went to employees end up in the CEO and stockholders' pockets.

Last edited by GuyWithHighIQ; 09-09-2015 at 06:40 PM..
Old 09-10-2015, 06:01 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Look, if you want to natter on about whatever is eating your brain without linking to any facts somewhere else, I recommend going here:

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...splay.php?f=23

This happens to be in the "Professional" section. Not NAT, not Political. Heck, not Careers.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 09-10-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Look, if you want to natter on about whatever is eating your brain without linking to any facts somewhere else, I recommend going here:

This happens to be in the "Professional" section. Not NAT, not Political. Heck, not Careers.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:00 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam 3F/MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post

Looks like those German companies are lobbying to hire migrants at lower than minimum wage.

When will you admit that I was right? Immigration is just a tool for the mega rich to suppress wages. Immigration provides NO benefit to the citizens, but it does cause lots of crime, rape, murder, wage stagnation, increased income inequality, and other negative effects.

In order for a country to have sustainable wage growth, they need a labor pool that's smaller than the amount of jobs available.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:33 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithHighIQ View Post
Looks like those German companies are lobbying to hire migrants at lower than minimum wage.

When will you admit that I was right? Immigration is just a tool for the mega rich to suppress wages. Immigration provides NO benefit to the citizens, but it does cause lots of crime, rape, murder, wage stagnation, increased income inequality, and other negative effects.

In order for a country to have sustainable wage growth, they need a labor pool that's smaller than the amount of jobs available.
I'm not disagreeing with you.

I was just saying move that discussion to Political. You could throw in the HB-1 visa situation in the U.S.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

EUROPE AND ASYLUM SEEKERS

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...56a7-399733281

first, graphs:

Quote:
But others are skeptical that migration, even on the scale being seen this year, can do much more than dent the long-term aging trend. A 2001 report from the U.N.’s Population Division, for instance, estimated that Germany would need a net total of 17.8 million migrants between 1995 and 2050 (an average of 324,000 per year) to keep its overall population from shrinking; even then, the ratio of working-age people to elderly would still fall.

In addition, the near-term costs of managing the flow of refugees, providing them with housing, health care, education and other social assistance, and ultimately resettling and integrating them into new societies are daunting. Germany, by far the preferred destination for the migrants, expects to spend $6.6 billion this year alone. Turkey, which is not in the EU but houses more refugees than any other country (many of whom are making their way into EU countries) says it has spent $7.6 billion so far this year. (Turkey may get some help from the EU, which has pledged to spend at least $1.1 billion to aid nations bordering Syria that are housing millions of refugees from that country’s civil war.)

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-17-2015, 12:30 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

JAPAN
CENTENARIANS

http://www.wsj.com/articles/japans-l...ore-1445029035

Quote:
TOKYO—Tomotaro Aikawa, born the month World War I started, hit the big 1-0-0 last year. Soon after, a letter of commendation arrived from Prime Minister Shinzo Abe with a small shallow bowl made of silver, intended for a ceremonial sip of sake.

Giving the silver sakazuki to centenarians has been a tradition in Japan for over a half-century. Inscribed in the bowl is “kotobuki,” a character connoting blessing and long life.

But in a sign of the nation’s tarnished finances, 100-year-olds next year may find their reward alloyed.

Japan’s health ministry, which administers the commendation program, has decided to halve its 2016 budget for it. To adjust, the government may begin making the bowls out of a mix of copper, nickel and zinc—with a silver finish—says a health-ministry official.
About 30,000 Japanese turn 100 every year. By 2050, the government projects, there will be about 680,000 citizens at or above a century. And agencies like the health ministry need to trim their budgets, what with Japan’s national debt ballooning.

At a June meeting to scrutinize the ministry’s budget, an advisory panel including professors and an accountant took up the centenarian-commendation program. Two of the five panelists recommended the gift program be scrapped altogether; three said it should be revised significantly.

“Becoming a centenarian was a news event in the old days,” Motohiro Sato of Hitotsubashi University told the assembled, according to a YouTube video of the session. “Just because the government has been celebrating the occasion doesn’t mean it should continue doing so.”

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-18-2015, 09:43 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam 3F/MFE

RECORD $3,248,723,000,000 FEDERAL TAXES IN 2015

campbell and other black voodoo pension actuaries are raging.

The system won't collapse until at least 100+ years, meaning I can continue collecting 70% of my max salary every year once I retire.
Please, keep paying for my retirement.

Never try debating with someone with a high IQ. Your experience means nothing.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

I only have 41 years of experience, some of which was in diapers.

LinkedIn Profile