Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-25-2015, 11:36 PM
CAS

Default M&A is finally heating up

M&A is long overdue and is finally heating up. Today we saw the announcement of a merger of Axis and Partner. This was right on the heels of XL and Catlin merging, and RenRe and Platinum. I expect more to come here.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:30 AM
CAS

I know Montpelier Re was put up for sale last month.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:53 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Alpha King

I didn't see that coming.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:29 AM
CAS

Bloomberg on M&A heating up:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-0...s-heat-up.html
Old 01-29-2015, 01:35 AM
Notes Contributor
CAS

Exciting times indeed!
Old 02-06-2015, 12:12 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
XL’s McGavick Says Defectors May Find More Turmoil at New Jobs

XL Group plc Chief Executive Officer Mike McGavick said employees who are worried about disruption from his company’s planned purchase of Catlin Group Ltd. should think twice about jumping ship.

Other reinsurance deals, including last month’s agreement by AXIS Capital Holdings Ltd. to merge with PartnerRe Ltd., have created some “turmoil” in the market, McGavick said on a conference call.

“If you thought your situation was the only difficult situation around, and therefore it became tempting to go to some other organization and feel safer, I don’t think that mentality is going to be very much in play right now,” McGavick said. “It’s going to be difficult to go somewhere where you’re safe from all of this, because I think it’s going to take a while to play out.”

Consolidation is accelerating in the markets for reinsurance and specialty commercial coverage as companies seek to gain scale and diversify their risks. RenaissanceRe Holdings Ltd. struck a deal in November to purchase Platinum Underwriters Holdings Ltd.

McGavick said last month after announcing the deal to purchase Bermuda-based Catlin that he will cut jobs amid the integration. He said on Monday that the combined insurer would seek to retain the most dedicated employees.

“You’re probably going to want to make sure you put your best foot forward, and that includes staying focused and delivering,” he said. “People are, in a sense, showing us that they have the ability to perform under difficult circumstances. That’s an important credential that they are advertising to us and to their future colleagues.”
‘Natural Order’

XL rose 13 cents to $35.34 at 10 a.m. in New York, extending its gain for the year to about 2.8 percent. The Dublin-based company reported on Monday that fourth-quarter operating profit climbed 2.5 percent to $293.9 million.

Validus Holdings Ltd. CEO Ed Noonan said in a Jan. 30 conference call that the mergers create dislocations that could provide opportunities for his company to recruit underwriters.

“I don’t mean that in a predatory way, I just think that’s the natural order of things,” he said on the call.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../04/356319.htm
Oh man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:21 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

that's some straight talk. be careful where you jump to. it might be merging next and in a less satisfying way.

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:00 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Endurance Re and Monpelier announced a merger today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Endurance Re and Monpelier announced a merger today
Can't believe they paid a premium for a book over-weighted to property-cat treaty re in the current market.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:11 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by asile View Post
Can't believe they paid a premium for a book over-weighted to property-cat treaty re in the current market.
As bad as the cat market is now, the market is still softening and alternative capital is hungry. I imagine this move is a cheaper market share grab than just doing it via price.