Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-16-2017, 08:10 PM
SOA

Default Estimating runout

Hi, I have a client who switched providers a couple of years ago. We have paid claims for the new provider. Naturally, these look low for the first few months of the first year as they are missing run-out from the prior provider. What is the best way to estimate the run-out? Thanks so much!

Last edited by doodlebug050; 11-16-2017 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: .
Old 11-16-2017, 08:26 PM
SOA AAA

Here's an idea (not the best, but...)

1. You have completed claims from, say, two years ago?
2. Trend them forward (PMPM).
3. Adjust each month for seasonality (based on prior provider patterns).

OK, now you have what should be decent claims by incurred month estimates.
4. Subtract what has been incurred and paid each month.

5. Voila. Runout.

Now, before showing anyone, look for yourself to see if it looks right. You might have some negative runouts for some months, as the claims have come in hotter than expected. Or the runout for a particular month is positive but looks low. You should have an idea of what it should be (say, $20 PMPM for the fifth month out, or something like that),but if it's $10 PMPM or $40 PMPM, you should think harder about disclosing.
One would hope that the months are systematically hotter or colder, so as to reflect something going on.

To answer your actual question: look at claims from providers separately, cut off from the incurred month when the new provider started to pay claims.

DISCLOSURE/DISCLAIMER ('cause professional area): Not a Valuation Actuary, but I like to dabble. As such, no charge, and you get what you pay for.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:47 PM
SOA

Thank you! I will try this approach.