Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > University of Central Florida
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

University of Central Florida Actuarial Contacts - Stephen G. Kellison, Matthew Modisett, Jerry Han, Gary Gau
http://www.cas.ucf.edu/statistics/actuarial.htm

Old 05-28-2008, 04:19 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC...shoulda gone with C
Default UCF Grads Update

Hey guys, I was just wondering how far along all the UCF grads are here and where everyone is working / still going to school!
Old 06-03-2008, 06:04 PM

Hey Dan, been a while (okay maybe just a few days). I will chime in with what I know.

Joey St. Germaine is about to start her new position with Hannover Life Re and has completed at least FM/2.

Tim Umlauff is at Hannover Life Re and just sat for MFE.

Sean (for some reason drawing a blank on his last name) is now at Hannover Life Re and im not sure where he is on exams. [Hannover is taking over arent they?]

Professor Han is interning at Kemper in Jacksonville. He is probably around exam 6 now?????

I am at Bristol West in Davie and likely just passed FM.

Kate probably just sat for MLC or MFE and is at New York Life in Tampa.

Sikander Nazerali (s/p?) is still at NCCI and I think he either just sat for MFE or for 4/C.

You probably knew most of that, but maybe it will fill some people in and get others to talk.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:16 PM

I graduated from the stat program with bachelors in 2004, not actuarial science (but they are the same department), and passed the 1st exam with a 9/10 on the first try (I took the probability material, but not theory of interest, etc.). I am finishing my last year of PhD in statistics in North Carolina. I have been geared more toward biostatistics, but many of the concepts that I have learned in grad school (survival analysis, Bayesian inference, time series) are used in actuarial science. If anyone went to UCF 2004 and before, I would like to know who you are.

Some professors that I had are not there any more (Lori Hoffman, Ibrahim Ahmad, Huaxin You), while a few are still there (Jim and Susan Schott, Xiaogang Su, and Nizam Uddin).

How is everything there right now? I have not visited back since I graduated.

Is professor Han trying to leave to go to industry? It is strange for a professor to be "interning" unless that is their career goal. Some of the professors that left either left for another school (Eric Ulm, for example, at Georgia State). I remember also professor Gau just had passed the first exam and was studying for the second one when I was about to graduate which had combined many more topics than now, including macro and micro economics.

Good luck to everyone!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:39 AM
SOA

Yeah, Dr. Han and Dr. Gau just got their ASA's. No wonder it can be tough to score an internship when you go up against a PhD'ed ASAs.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:04 PM

I am getting my PhD in statistics from North Carolina State next year. But I remember after transferring to UCF, and in the fall semester, I remember seeing Dr. Gau study for Course 1, and I asked him if he was thinking about leaving his professorship to go to insurance industry. And he told me he didn't know at that time. I guess that puts less pressure on you. You can study for the exams, and not worry that if you fail, the company will kick you out. I wonder if he will eventually leave his professorship position after he gets FSA. I wouldn't be surprised if either Dr. Gau or Dr. Han does that. I passed Exam P at the end of my masters degree with flying colours, but I had been drilled on that material in my masters probability class so much. All I had to do was focus to solving problems rather than proving theorems. I still practiced a lot, and did not underestimate the exam. But understanding the theory really helps, believe me.

PhD is not a big resume boost for actuarial though. It is absolutely essential if you want positions in the pharmaceutical industry (large drug companies) or in a large bank in quantitative finance group (i.e., Bank of America, Wachovia, JP Morgan Chase), and also in academia, of course. But not so much for insurance industry. However, having the PhD in statistics, especially, will give you a lot more options. There is not much you can do with just a BS in statistics or mathematics alone, without another major such as finance or economics. If you are a computer science major, the job market is quite good in North Carolina RTP, but I remember it being very bad in Orlando when I was there (but maybe because that was 2002-2004).
Old 10-29-2008, 10:26 AM
SOA

piano what do you want to do with your PhD in stats?
Old 05-09-2009, 03:13 PM
SOA

Studying for ERM
College: Univ Central Florida, Alum

Hey just wanted to let you know the site link has changed.
http://statistics.cos.ucf.edu/content/index.html
Not sure who updates the info but there it is.

I did the Master's program and graduated in Spring 2007. I don't think Matt Modisett is there anymore, but he had just started when I was in my last year of grad school. Btw, the actuarial graduate program is not admitting new students for the '09-'10 year due to staffing shortage.

spencerhs5: What's Bristol West like? I had started working at Farmers in Los Angeles right after they bought BW and was interviewing with Rich Moncher to rotate there this past Feb but then I got a job offer in Philadelphia first.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:16 PM

Last I heard Modisett went to England to work for AIG I believe.

Is your job in philly with Farmers/Zurich? Rich told me there was someone in LA looking to move and asked if I knew who you were but I dont think I had the pleasure of having class with you while I was there. I thought he told me you ended up in NY with the company but I dont remember for sure, I guess it was philly.

I'll PM you about how it is down here.