Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 09-29-2008, 07:51 PM

I was going to post this in the WTF thread after following the link about poor OLD heff having to lay off some bunnies. (was that the correct way to say that?).

But anyway,
Chef dies after eating 'superhot' chilli for bet
Old 07-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Here's how I usually make my chili:

Ingredients:
Meat (see below)
Large onion, chopped
3-5 cloves of garlic (depending on how big they are) chopped
2 or 3 Bell peppers (greed, red, orange), chopped
28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
4 oz can tomato sauce
two jalapenos, seeded, diced
2 cans of beans of contrasting color (white, black, red, pink)
2 Tbs cumin
1.5 tbs chili powder
1 tbs black pepper
2 bay leaf
1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne
chopped fresh parsley (added near the end of cooking time, and some to sprinkle on portions.
1 Tbs dried oregano

Meats:
2 lbs

I use a variety. Beef, chicken, turkey, pork. Last month I made (what I called) meat loaf chili. I used 1/3 ground beef, 1/3 ground pork and 1/3 ground veal. I like making steak chili. Find a cheap cut of steak. They hold up to the simmering better. Brown, let rest and cut into bite-sized chunks. It makes for a very substantial chili.

I make a turkey chili that I add some honey to in order to sweeten it up. Sometimes carrots, too.

I also make vegetarian chili sometimes. No meat, but add celery and carrots and maybe parsnip or potato.

Sometimes I serve it over rice. Or, if not, with a good crusty bread.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:21 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

similar to Utanapishtim, i don't really use a specific recipe. I use the following outline and ratio it up for however much i want to make and use different things to give it a different flavor each time.

1 lb meat (I'll use anything. when i ratio it up, i'll mix multiple kinds. Ground beef, Ground pork, italian sausage hot or mild, beef stew meat, chorizo, short ribs etc)
1 diced pepper (green, yellow, orange, whatever)
1 diced onion (yellow or white, don't use red)
1 diced celery stalk (not the whole head just one branch)
1 can beans (usually use kidney/dark kidney/pinto. rinse and drain, because i don't like that nasty liquid in these)
2 cans diced tomatoes (i like to get the petite diced, usually try to have at least one can with garlic)
1 can tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
3/4 of a beer (i prefer a winter ale/lager, something with some spices, Sam Adams Winter Lager is my fav)
salt
pepper
Ground Cumin
Chili Powder (here i like to get several varieties of chili powder because every brand is different. I also make Alton Brown's chili powder as it's terrific as well)
Brown Sugar
Optional add-ins (jalapenos (or any other hot pepper) and red pepper flakes both for when i want to up the heat)

process:
1.brown the meat, i season it with the salt and pepper. be careful not to over fill a pan as you want the browned meat flavor. drain the fat. set this aside.
2. cook veggies (pepper/onion/celery) usually until onion is translucent. I then add the beer into this. i simmer this uncovered for about 30 minutes (to help eliminate the alcohol content of the beer.)
3. I then add the tomato, beans, and meat back into the pot.
4. I season after that. Adding Cumin, Chili Powder, and brown sugar until i get it to the taste that i want. If i were guessing, my starting point is usually around 1/2T Cumin, 3T Chili Powder, and 2T Brown Sugar.
5. I then like to simmer that at least an hour if not longer to help flavors meld together. If it looks too thin, i'll do this with the lid off.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:50 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

This is the one I usually make. It's a bit nonstandard, but I like the little bit of crunch you get from the corn and celery. It also has a variety of colors, so looks really nice.

1 pound ground turkey, maybe more
1 onion, chopped
2 ribs of celery, chopped
2 poblano peppers chopped
1 package of medium chili seasoning mix (original McCormicks is what I usually have)
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
28 oz can diced tomatoes
16 oz can corn
16 oz can black beans

Brown the stuff , then add the spices and dump the cans in. I don't drain the cans before dumping them in.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:22 PM
CAS

since someone bumped the ao cookbook thread, this also.

This chili mix is what I've been using lately. Huge hit with the fam. Personal tweaks: -flour, +1 tsp paprika, +.5 tsp cayenne. makes about 7 TBSP. I use about 4-5 TBSP per 2 lbs of meat.

As for my recipe

Brown the meat (I've used this with beef and ground turkey. Obviously beef is better, but turkey is not bad at all).
Remove from pot, with slotted spoon to leave fats.
Drain fats
one onion (per 2 lbs) chopped sauteed in what's left.
Add back meat, 28 oz kidney beans, 28 oz diced tomatoes, 14 oz corn, 4.5 oz chopped chiles, 14 oz can of tomato sauce.

Bring to simmer. enjoy.

Last edited by llcooljabe; 10-30-2019 at 06:26 PM..