Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 11-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Default The Infinite Actuary Seminars for 4/C: new instructor

Howdy all, this is Mary Pat Campbell, up until recently your friendly TIA seminar 4/C instructor. We've been making some changes at The Infinite Actuary recently, and I will be doing the online and live seminars for SOA Exam AFE (the ERM track exam) starting with the Spring 2009 sitting. Due to these changes, I will not be able to support the 4/C seminar any more.

I am happy to announce that Dave Revelle will be taking over the 4/C seminars for TIA. Dave will be in here a little later to introduce himself, though some of you in this forum may already know him from his work with the TIA seminars for 1/P and 3L.

Best wishes to all the 4/C exam-takers, and I hope to see y'all in the AFE forum in the future!

LinkedIn Profile
Old 11-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Don't go! You can't leave us like this! We need more time to adjust.

At any rate (pun intended), good luck on your new endeavor.

And welcome Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Howdy all, this is Mary Pat Campbell, up until recently your friendly TIA seminar 4/C instructor. We've been making some changes at The Infinite Actuary recently, and I will be doing the online and live seminars for SOA Exam AFE (the ERM track exam) starting with the Spring 2009 sitting. Due to these changes, I will not be able to support the 4/C seminar any more.

I am happy to announce that Dave Revelle will be taking over the 4/C seminars for TIA. Dave will be in here a little later to introduce himself, though some of you in this forum may already know him from his work with the TIA seminars for 1/P and 3L.

Best wishes to all the 4/C exam-takers, and I hope to see y'all in the AFE forum in the future!

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 11-14-2008, 10:05 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Zombie Dust

I have questions. I have 22 on PAK. If I failed my C (finger crossed!) and provide my proof, do I have to register again? How does this work.
Thanks.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Bobby Digital

Will dave do all new lessons?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for Exam 4 & Corp Finance VEE

And if so, when will the new lessons be released? Will the old ones be available until the new ones are updated?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

For continuation of the seminar, just contact customer service, which can be done here:
http://theinfiniteactuary.com/?page=contact

I'll let Dave answer about new videos and timing of rollout. Give the man a chance to introduce himself first, though. Dave doesn't keep the same hours I do, so he might not be on here for a while.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 11-14-2008, 11:26 AM
David Revelle

I'll say more when I get home from work, but want to give a brief summary now. I will be quitting my regular job and working on this seminar full time beginning Dec. 8th. This means that I will be able to respond to people as quickly as everyone is used to from dealing with James, and also means that updates will come more rapidly than in some of the other seminar updates that we have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Seale View Post
Will dave do all new lessons?
Yes. It will be easier for me to remember what is in each lesson if I have recorded them myself, and that will also give more continuity between the online lessons, live seminar, and expanded practice problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquelicot View Post
And if so, when will the new lessons be released? Will the old ones be available until the new ones are updated?
I'll say more about the timing later tonight, but am planning on doing some of the prep work needed for the videos over Thanksgiving, and as I said I am doing this full time starting Dec. 8th, so certainly by mid-December there will be some videos up. The current plan is to add lessons and some of the corresponding problems simultaneously so there will be things to work on as the videos come out. Our feeling has been that it makes sense to take down Mary Pat's lessons to avoid confusion, but obviously we would listen to student opinions if that is clearly the wrong choice.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Old 11-14-2008, 02:11 PM
CAS

Good luck Mary Pat! You've been great!
Old 11-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for Exam 4 & Corp Finance VEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaave View Post
I'll say more about the timing later tonight, but am planning on doing some of the prep work needed for the videos over Thanksgiving, and as I said I am doing this full time starting Dec. 8th, so certainly by mid-December there will be some videos up. The current plan is to add lessons and some of the corresponding problems simultaneously so there will be things to work on as the videos come out. Our feeling has been that it makes sense to take down Mary Pat's lessons to avoid confusion, but obviously we would listen to student opinions if that is clearly the wrong choice.
I completely understand wanting to have all new videos and think that's a good idea as well.

The only reason I get a bit scared about the old ones being taken down before they are completely replaced is because in the past TIA hasn't exactly been as good as they hoped to be about releasing the material on time. When I took MFE and used TIA, Bill had recorded some additional information to be added to the seminar and because Day was so busy it didn't ever make it up before the exam (and there were weeks in between recording and the exam and a few promises of them getting up before the exam as well...) I'm excited that you'll have your complete time to devote to it, but unless you are also able to post them yourself I have some concerns. That's all. I tend to study earlier and try and be through all the info at least once with a month to spare to really focus on running lots of problems and spending some extra time on the areas where I am weak. Just my style, I guess.

I hope you find your new position to be fulfilling, Dave. I'm sure you'll do a great job.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:50 AM
David Revelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquelicot View Post
I completely understand wanting to have all new videos and think that's a good idea as well.

The only reason I get a bit scared about the old ones being taken down before they are completely replaced is because in the past TIA hasn't exactly been as good as they hoped to be about releasing the material on time. When I took MFE and used TIA, Bill had recorded some additional information to be added to the seminar and because Day was so busy it didn't ever make it up before the exam (and there were weeks in between recording and the exam and a few promises of them getting up before the exam as well...) I'm excited that you'll have your complete time to devote to it, but unless you are also able to post them yourself I have some concerns. That's all. I tend to study earlier and try and be through all the info at least once with a month to spare to really focus on running lots of problems and spending some extra time on the areas where I am weak. Just my style, I guess.

I hope you find your new position to be fulfilling, Dave. I'm sure you'll do a great job.
We are trying to figure out a way to let you start early. One of our concerns about leaving Mary Pat's videos up is that someone could conceivably watch a video, have some questions, then go back to it only to find it replaced with a video that potentially covers the material in a different order. One possible solution that we are looking into would be to have Mary Pat's lessons available in a separate section on the backup server for people who register before a certain cutoff date (e.g., Dec. 15th). If something like this is technically feasible on our end, would it be helpful?

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn

Tags
the infinite actuary, tia