Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 02-23-2016, 07:01 PM
SOA

I am about a third of the way through Elantris right now after reading Mistborn 1-3 and Stormlight 1-2.

Probably read Mistborn 4-6 next, then Warbreaker.

Right now I think I will try out the Wheel of Time before I get to any of Sanderson's YA stuff.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:14 PM
CAS AAA

http://bit.ly/219UKM

Sanderson announces new trilogy "parallel" to the Reckoners. The "Apocalypse Guard" books will center on an organization of superpowered individuals who save doomed planets. Not part of the "cosmere." First one scheduled for Spring 2018.

Jeesh this guy is prolific.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Finish The Recknoners Trilogy!

My responses in blue:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingboing View Post
Reckoners questions and comments

Calamity:
Spoiler:

What the heck is up with Ildithia moving/salt stuff? Is this ever explained?
No. It's just another Epic power.

How did David get Steelheart powers? Does he still have water powers too? I don't get it.
David's fear was the water, but that had nothing to do with his power skillset. He never had water powers. As to why his skillset was the same as Steelheart's? It seems to be a literary thread connecting him, his father, and Steelheart.

Larcener - he kept saying "we" or "us" when talking to David at the end - "I will not shirk my duty as other have. We are to watch, as is our calling" - Who is he referring to here?
More of his kind. There was very little information given here, and the details are left blank.

So are all the High Epics invincible now? Do they still have weaknesses? Seemed like they were all tied to Calamity, so if he's gone, I'm not sure how they die...
We already know they still have weaknesses, as Megan has showed fire is still her weakness the entire book. The weakness is less effective at nullifying their powers though. A High Epic would indeed be very hard to kill, but they aren't all driven to do evil anymore, either. So, presumably (with the whole thing with Obliteration at the end), now it's Good High Epics vs. Bad High Epics. Also also, they can still die due to natural causes such as aging or cancer, as Regalia did - so they aren't completely immortal or anything.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:32 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
Finish The Recknoners Trilogy!

My responses in blue:
Spoiler:

I could've sworn that Regalia tried to give him the spyril power set.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:34 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySchoop View Post
http://bit.ly/219UKM

Sanderson announces new trilogy "parallel" to the Reckoners. The "Apocalypse Guard" books will center on an organization of superpowered individuals who save doomed planets. Not part of the "cosmere." First one scheduled for Spring 2018.

Jeesh this guy is prolific.
Yep, I saw that too. I'm not sure I needed anything more in this world. I thought it was wrapped up pretty well. But then again, Sanderson doesn't really do anything poorly, so I'm sure it will be good. Especially if this is what keeps his mind fresh for Stormlight Archive books.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:57 AM
CAS

Quote:
Viv - Comments about Secret History
Spoiler about Secret History and other mistborn books: Don't read this unless you've read all of them
Spoiler:
I didn't get that Kelsier was the guy down in the south part of the world acting as the Lord Ruler until I went on the 17th shard. Did you pick that up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
Spoiler:
I thought it could be Spook or Kelsier, but the more I think about it I think it has to be Kelsier. He just likes to meddle too much for it not to be him.

But we obviously knew it wasn't the Lord Ruler when he died and immediately went to the Beyond.
Quote:
Yeah, I didn't make that connection at all while I was reading it, but it makes sense in retrospect.
Spoiler:
In Bands of Mourning, I thought it was kelsier when Wax used the coppermind coin and saw that the "lord ruler" guy had scars up and down his arms. But then I told myself it couldn't be. Then I went to coppermind and confirmed. But I didn't get that from secret history, though. In fact I was expecting more spoilers/insight to the Wax wayne mistborn series.

Last edited by llcooljabe; 03-04-2016 at 10:11 AM..
Old 03-04-2016, 10:00 AM
CAS

Is reckoners a cosmere series? I've only read #1. Too tied to audiobooks, and overdrive for my audiobooks. I just don't have time to sit and read anymore
Old 03-04-2016, 10:03 AM
CAS

Quote:
Just finished Mistborn:Secret History and then made the mistake of going to the 17th shard to see what I missed...and I missed so much. That place is crazy with how much they know.
I learn more from coppermind. I tried 17th shard, but too many discussions...I like the wiki style of coppermind also.

One thing about sanderson--he's very ambitious. one more mistborn book in the wax/wayne series, and then two more sets after that.

then the Stormlight series is supposed to have something like 9 books, right?
Old 03-04-2016, 10:06 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe View Post
then the Stormlight series is supposed to have something like 9 books, right?
10 in two "cycles" of 5 books, IIRC.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:08 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe View Post
Is reckoners a cosmere series? I've only read #1. Too tied to audiobooks, and overdrive for my audiobooks. I just don't have time to sit and read anymore
Nope, unrelated.