Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 10-04-2019, 12:11 AM
CAS

RE: Pacing, I think from what he's written about Stormlight, that this is the series where he's allowing himself to be the most indulgent. So if you like what he does, you get a lot of it. If not, it'll be a slog.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:10 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

I really enjoyed the Mistborn trilogy, and some of the stand-alone books (Elantris, Warbreaker, though do Sanderson books ever REALLY stand alone?) but to me, Stormlight Archives are something special. I think because the pacing and the intricacy appeals to me. In general I'm not a big fan of huge battle scenes, but the build-up in these books is so detailed, that I do appreciate the huge set pieces when they finally come. And then I realize it will be two years or more until the next installment and .
Old 10-04-2019, 10:27 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeTprubMWQs
Old 10-21-2019, 03:59 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Finished my Hero of Ages re-read yesterday.

Spoiler'ing just in case:

Spoiler:
One thing that particularly stood out to me was at the very end in Sazed's note to Spook, he says:

"P.S. There are still two metals that nobody knows about. You might want to poke about and see if you can figure out what they are. I think they'll interest you."

Which... is wrong. Maybe? There are four metal nobody knows about at this point - Chromium, Nicrosil, Bendalloy, and Cadmium. According to the interwebs, it seems as if what Sazed must have meant here is two more base metals, not counting their alloys. But it seems like misdirection for the sake of misdirection, given Sazed's godlike enlightenment that just took place.

Given the timeline on the comments I've seen, I actually think this is something of a retconned mistake, as I think Brandon must have rearranged the table after the OT when he realized Atium / Malatium shouldn't be included in the base metals.

Just kind a of pedantic catch that I hadn't put much thought into before.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:55 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5383 View Post
I feel like two things are working against me:

1) I listen on audiobook, which is much slower than reading.
Only if you listen at 1x speed. Try speeding it up to 1.5X or so. It obviously helps you get through it faster, but it also helps me focus more. Most audiobooks are read too slowly, and my mind wanders. Speeding it up fixes that.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:57 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!

Just finished my first Sanderson -- Mistborn. Really liked it, and jumped immediately into Well of Ascension. Bought a couple other series too.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:57 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
Only if you listen at 1x speed. Try speeding it up to 1.5X or so. It obviously helps you get through it faster, but it also helps me focus more. Most audiobooks are read too slowly, and my mind wanders. Speeding it up fixes that.
Pfft...rookie.. 3x is where it's at.

In other news, my wife thinks I have ADD, and it's exacerbated by my listening to audiobooks at 2x, 2.5x and 3x.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:58 PM
CAS

Just finished Alcatraz & the librarians, (or whatever it's called) book 1. It was ok. Certainly not as good as his other YA book Skyward (which I loved). But I will read alcatraz book 2.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:31 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe View Post
Pfft...rookie.. 3x is where it's at.

In other news, my wife thinks I have ADD, and it's exacerbated by my listening to audiobooks at 2x, 2.5x and 3x.
I usually do 2X, my 1.5 suggestion was for someone new to "speed-listening".

But I think your wife is wrong (please don't tell her I said that). I think speed-listening helps with ADD, it doesn't cause it or make it worse. For me, it forces me to concentrate, and I can actually focus better than at lower speeds. At 1X or even 1.5X there's too much time for my mind to wander.

Note, I listen to podcasts at 1.5X as people speaking is generally faster than people reading out loud. I wish my app had a 1.75X for podcasts because 1.5X is starting to be too slow, but it's a big jump to 2X.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:38 PM
SOA

Finished Words of Radiance. It was...fine.

If you love the series and the world, which is something I can respect and understand, I could see where you would have liked it. But I'm fairly on the fence still, and it just felt ponderously, oppressively long and drawn out. As I'm reflecting on it now, all I can think about is how little actually happened. Yes, there were some Big Plot Events (almost exclusively at the end), but...did this need to be 1100 pages? It's a cool world, but Sanderson definitely seems to be living up to his claim that this was going to be his most indulgent work.

Again, if you love this world, then 1100 pages is probably a delight. I felt like I was reading a book that was assigned to me. I just don't think Sanderson is for me, unfortunately.

I'm going to take a bit and decide if I want to read Oathbringer. I thought I would for sure, but then I looked at it's 1250 pages, and I feel like there is a stone around my neck just thinking about it. I could read all three books in The Lord of The Rings instead and still have ~50 pages left over.
When the only American citizen President Trump singles out for China’s investigation is his political opponent in the midst of the Democratic nomination process, it strains credulity to suggest that it is anything other than politically motivated