Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports > Fantasy Football Sub-Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

View Poll Results: For the 2018 AOFBKL Season...
I'm back baby! 19 90.48%
I'm backing out, and I'm a baby! 0 0%
I'm Mo Vaughn (Not Jackie or that other Mo) 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2018, 12:50 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Root Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
^ No need to force the drafting team to pay extra picks just because the guy may have tons of production. There's plenty of risk associated with the pick and it's not like we've never had a player produce out-sized stats at a single position.
He is two players in Yahoo. The drafting team will lose a pick anyways because they can't roster the player.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:56 PM
ASPPA COPA

Studying for Nothing.
Favorite beer: Massive Quantities

Is he two players?

I would assume he'd get eligibility at some positions, probably starting with UTL and P or something like that and you would slot him in either an offensive or a pitching slot and only get the stats for the slot he is in.

So like any other pitcher if you have him slotted in at P and hits 4 HRs you don't get the HRs but if you have him slotted in at OF and he racks up 9 Ks on the mound you don't get the Ks.

I guess it will all depend on how Yahoo! classifies him.

Oops - guess I should have read that Yahoo already slotted him as 2 Ohtani.

I think the simple solution is he is two players and you need to specify in the draft thread if you are drafting
Ohtani-P (elbow)
Ohtani-UTL
Old 01-03-2018, 01:40 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinfootball View Post
Wouldn't this just work its way out in his valuation? He would just get drafted earlier than he would be otherwise.

If picking him requires picks x.z and (x+1).z versus y.z and 20.z, then y would be less than x in order to account for the difference in value of (x+1).z and 20.z.

And what if someone didn't have a pick in the next round?
yea, i was thinking that as well. i guess i'd rather see it push back the x, then push up the y.

it just seems to me in terms of picks, if you are selecting a guy that fills two spots you shouldn't get to fill a 19th round slot when you pick him up. you should immediately fill your next two available slots.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:42 PM
CAS AAA

i guess the issue there is people will then have different values based on keepers. so one guy might have 6-10th as keepers, so can do a 5th and 11th for him, where as someone else has to use a 5th and 6th. in addition guys could sell slots specifically with this in mind.

it really does seem the simplest to treat him as 2 separate players as yahoo is doing. so i'm voting for that.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:15 PM

Studying for a field sobriety test
Favorite beer: Grizzly

Should have clarified that Yahoo was putting him in as two players, the hitter and the pitcher, and he can't be moved between the two. Lot of coding issues. The two options they recommended were 1) just leave him as two separate "players" in the game or 2) make it so if you draft him as a pitcher you get him as a hitter automatically.

If we do #2, you have to lose another draft pick to get to the right roster size. I liked the idea of dropping the last draft pick there because then you have to value him as a two way player. If you lose your next pick then someone who traded away picks in rounds 4+5 could take him in Rd 3 and lose their 6th, where someone else might not be willing to lose picks in rounds 3+4. So last seasons trades, or potentially this season's trades could impact the pick math.

Someone else might be willing to sell out to get him and (in my imaginary world he's a 3rd round pick again) trade their 4th and 17th and 5th and 16th and 6th and 15th for a bunch of 2nd/3rd round picks. So now it costs them a 3rd and 7th and they have 4 picks before that. Actually this sounds like a strategy I would use, maybe I should have left this out of the post.

Anyway, I'm still for just having him be Ohtani the hitter and Ohtani the pitcher. He'll have value but I'm thinking he might not be hitting full time. What's the value of a 4 day a week DH facing MLB pitching for the first time?
Old 01-03-2018, 04:46 PM

Just waiting on accobra_kid... if anyone knows him, give him a "good hustle" slap on the butt.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:45 PM
CAS AAA

good hustle? seems like he should get a slap upside the head to help him get it on straight.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:18 PM

And we're set with 20! There was no waiting list after last season and I like tron, so we're exercising the club option and keeping him. If he wants a buy out, he's going to have to trade me all of his best players for minor draft pick upgrades for the 2019 draft.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:21 PM

I'm from the new school of managing. All positive motivation.

PS I have never once used tobacco after a teammate got caught and we ran a 60 yd sprint for every letter in "Skoal Smokeless Tobacco - Wintergreen". Coach assumed wintergreen since no one would confess it was their bottle of dip juice to tell him the proper flavor. I think old school worked too.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:34 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing
Favorite beer: Crooked Crab High Joltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arbitrary View Post
And we're set with 20! There was no waiting list after last season and I like tron, so we're exercising the club option and keeping him. If he wants a buy out, he's going to have to trade me all of his best players for minor draft pick upgrades for the 2019 draft.

I might try to pull together a way-too-early Drafty. What are the important dates this year? Trade window, draft start date, etc?