Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 09-16-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
Booksmart - ****

In some ways a very generic high school is ending lets go to a party type movie but it had some fresh things that kept it interesting. It was much more modern and had female leads so it felt like a new perspective on an old trope. Nothing really matters outside of the fact that it was quite funny. Both my wife and I really enjoyed it despite some of the old tropes. A great watch if you are just looking for a funny low brow teen comedy. It was directed by Olivia Wilde, her first feature film, and I was pretty impressed overall.
Watched last night and I and the wifey liked it also. I found it overlapped heavily with Superbad.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:16 PM
SOA

IT Chapter 2, **** out of 5

Beautiful, frightening, surrealist nonsense. I came in having loved the first chapter and skeptical of the second, and must say that my expectations were modestly exceeded. It's not a perfect movie, but it was quite good as a follow up. It dragged far too long, but some scenes I found to be genuinely gorgeously shot, to the point where I just want to rewatch certain scenes. I'm excited for a second viewing paired with the first chapter to see how it all hangs together.

Spoilers now:

Spoiler:
Many of the scenes, such as when Ben and Bev were both suffocating and reaching out to each other, I thought were extremely powerful and captivating. The interpersonal relationships were touch. I was also happy that they didn't have Richie flat out say "I was super gay for Eddie, and that's what I'm sad now." That was undercut slightly at the end, and I would have preferred a little more trust in the audience, but a weaker movie would have spelled it out. The scares were good, although slightly repetitive, especially when viewed in comparison to the first chapter.

That said, I did find this movie problematic, which was frustrating, because I know there is an amazing 2-hour movie in there that I could give 5 stars to. It felt like a competent editor that trusted his audience could have turned this into something really special, and the bloated 3-hour thing we have could have been the extended edition on DVD. In particular, issues I had...

1) The young scares/old scares paradigm wore thing, especially when you realize "Oh shit, they are going to do this for all of them." The scares were good enough that I didn't quite mind, but...some fat could have been trimmed there, especially since it is basically repeating a sin from the first movie.

2) TOO. MUCH. BATHOS. I know, it's 2019, and we are literally drowning in bathos at every turn, but...ugh, it's frustrating. Just let me feel something deep, movie. Let troubling and dramatic moments hang in the air with pregnant silence.

The dog scene with the three doors was truly and genuinely funny. If it had been the first release of tension after 60 minutes of dread and unease, it would have been world class. But we can't go more than 2 minutes without a joke, so...a good joke in a sea of fine jokes doesn't really cut deep.

3) Again, I know it's 2019, but we leaned pretty heavily on jump scares. One of my favorite scenes was when Bev sees Pennywise putting on his makeup. Bill SkarsgŚrd looked through the camera and into your soul on that one, and it almost made my stomach turn. I would have preferred more of that, and less "Oh no, I looked away, and when I turned back, a monster coming at me out of focus!"

4) The explanation of Stan's suicide was bad, flat out. Not only is it a bad message ("I killed myself to help my friends, which makes me a hero in a way!"), it undercuts the theme of the movie. IT should be so unrelentingly frightening that it just completely swamps the characters brains to the point where just the fear of him itself kills them. That's what I took away from his death...until the last 5 minutes, when I was told that, nope, just kidding, he did it with a clear head so everyone else could do better.

All that said, there was a lot to like. Some genuine scares, some mature themes, and a decent ending given the box they had painted themselves into. I know this will never happen, but I hope someone releases "The Contracted Director's Cut" that is only 2 hours long. I know the saying is 'No good movie is ever too long, no bad movie is ever too short,' but I honestly think this movie could have benefited a lot from brevity.
When the only American citizen President Trump singles out for Chinaís investigation is his political opponent in the midst of the Democratic nomination process, it strains credulity to suggest that it is anything other than politically motivated
Old 09-30-2019, 02:51 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Downton Abbey - *****

Very enjoyable, especially if you're already familiar with the main characters.

Do not need to know much about the final season (or two) of the TV show to enjoy the movie; it is generally well done as it is.

Nice artistry for opening and closing sequences. Well laid intrigues and surprises along the way.

Very well acted all around, IMO. Not anything that would make it better on the big screen (versus whatever streaming service that picks it up) apart from being a great date movie, IMO.

I would watch it again.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 10-11-2019, 09:07 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Toy Story 4 ***** I love this series and this did not disappoint. All the characters you want, plus a little Road Warrior and some Vincent Price horror. Very satisfying end to the series.

Aladdin *** 1/2 I keep saying that for these Disney live actions remakes, you need to review them on their own and not compare to the original cartoon. I haven't seen the original since it came out so not 100% sure what changed. Having said all that, Smith's Genie was too close to the original not to compare and it felt flat. They needed to change up the jokes more. I found both male leads to be very weak on the vocals. Iago's jokes were much more background, not necessarily a bad thing.

Overall the rest was good. I liked the strong Jasmine and her voice. I thought they had good chemistry. I liked the side story with the maid and genie.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:37 PM
AAA

Dark Phoenix - 5 out of 10. saw this on a long flight. interesting premise of Professor X being interpreted as a 'villain' risking life of kids for his own ego (which is enough to get 4 or 5 stars out of 10), but movie suffers from poorly designed villains, poor story telling, mediocre acting, mediocre character motivation, and this 10 year jump inconsistency in the franchise. For instance, it is understandable character A may have a falling out with Professor X due to some shady deception, but why does this mean that Character A needs to run into Magneto's arms? No other options for mutants besides Professor X and Magneto? Two characters do this in movie. Certain characters act of out character (imo) and seem to sell out a third character too quickly in a franchise known for superheros working together as a team. Better than Apocalypse which was pure crap, but barely.

Spider-Man Far from Home : 8 out of 10. better than I expected, perhaps better than previous entry. Great compelling use of this comic book villain. Not a big fan of erasing Uncle Ben and replacing with Iron Man, but movie had right balance of humor, good story telling, romance, and action. May not be the best Spider-Man movie, but the villain is one of the top 2 or 3 seen in all the Spider-man live action movies. Several interesting after end-title sequences.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:22 AM
Chief Semiotician, Retired
CAS

Favorite beer: Beer is for closers

Parasite, *****. This is from the same writer/director who gave us Snowpiercer and Okja. Itís not quite a comedy, because itís so incredibly dark... and itís not quite a horror film, because thereís no actual (nonhuman) monster. But it has strong elements of horror and comedy, itís magnificently written, and Iím not going to recommend it because itís so dark and twisted that you might not like it. Oh, and itís about class struggle in Korea, and itís subtitled.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:21 AM
CAS

Studying for this space for rent

MIB International **

Quote:
Wait for rental.
That pretty much sums it up. You might want to wait even longer though.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:49 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: San Pelligreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Spider-Man Far from Home : 8 out of 10. better than I expected, perhaps better than previous entry. Great compelling use of this comic book villain. Not a big fan of erasing Uncle Ben and replacing with Iron Man, but movie had right balance of humor, good story telling, romance, and action. May not be the best Spider-Man movie, but the villain is one of the top 2 or 3 seen in all the Spider-man live action movies. Several interesting after end-title sequences.
I watched this a couple weeks ago and I agree. I thought it took off from Endgame in an excellent fashion. I really like this version of Spiderman that Marvel has created and it really seems to be the first time they have created a version of one of their characters that is fairly far removed from the comic book version. I think moving forward we may see more of this departure given that all these folks exist in the same universe and their comics they are mostly in separate worlds and stories.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:55 PM
CAS

Studying for this space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Toy Story 4 ***** I love this series and this did not disappoint. All the characters you want, plus a little Road Warrior and some Vincent Price horror. Very satisfying end to the series.
Toy Story 4 ****

I dismissed Toy Story 4 at Redbox because of the ridiculous synopsis involving a spork. I'm glad you changed my mind.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:15 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: San Pelligreno

Brightburn 3.5

Imagine Superman, but instead of a conscientious super being with a strong moral compass, he is more like a teenager who might have ended up as a school shooter. Petty, mean, and vengeful. This was made with a lot of horror film tropes and some torture film type gore, but it was a pretty interesting take on the super hero genre. As a parent I was also left pondering how far should love go with a child. I liked it and would recommend checking it out.