Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 02-07-2018, 12:47 AM
CAS AAA

College: Nebraska

Look's like I'm late to OP's party and am getting in on a slap fight.

OP, if you're still reading I recently got swept up in an office closure. My new job is an untitled data science / analytics / ERM "thing" at a life insurance company.

My letters definitely helped with the interview, and I've been put through crash courses in R, spark, hadoop, etc. I built my first model based on an idea I got greenlighted in 4Q and it's being rolled out this year. I've got some more I want to do and I'm humble enough to learn from our pure programmers and data scientists at the company.

I was fortunate that I had a mentor at my last P&C company. I caught a few mistakes of theirs when they went to roll out a model, and they let me in on what they were working on in return.

Right now I am absolutely buried (and underpaid, I took a pay cut to avoid having to move) but my short term goals are to investigate a masters degree and finish FCAS (one away, why not?).

I also want to consider what it would take to go ACAS -> ASA just for branding since I work at a life company.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:25 AM
CAS

I recently made the call to apply for a Master's program in Analytics. The curriculum looks pretty close to those labeled Data Science, though I think it might be slightly less Computer Science heavy (though still pretty CS-heavy).

Unlike some of the people in this thread though, I'm unconcerned about making the jump from actuary to data scientist. I just want to be a more competent actuary with more modern skills.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:51 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

What's the best online course or series of courses available now to prepare for the technical part of DS interviews? Ideally something that can be done self-paced in under 300 hours and within $3k. I have foundational knowledge and some experience.

(needs to be rigorous enough for shops in SoHo, not po)

I heard good things about DataCamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary

Last edited by Neutral Omen; 02-07-2018 at 10:58 AM..
Old 02-07-2018, 11:10 AM
CAS AAA

Just self teach yourself the R and python syntax. They are open source after all, just install it on your computer!

If you wanted to get real fancy you could set up your own Hadoop data lake with some spare laptops and analyze some stock market data or something.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:19 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
Look kiddies, in this day and age, a guy with a Masters will have a much better understanding of the material when compared to a guy with a Bachelors.
If we're talking about data science in insurance, being clever and experienced is much more important than whether you have a graduate degree. There are a lot of PhDs in the industry who are either dangerous or useless, depending on how often they're ignored by people in charge of business. I don't know what material they know and how well they understand it, but whatever it is must not be very relevant to the job they're attempting to do.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:30 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerCAS View Post
Just self teach yourself the R and python syntax. They are open source after all, just install it on your computer!

If you wanted to get real fancy you could set up your own Hadoop data lake with some spare laptops and analyze some stock market data or something.
interviews are not on syntax. I know that much, and a bit more.

Quote:
you are a visionary
Old 02-07-2018, 06:31 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdadude View Post
I recently made the call to apply for a Master's program in Analytics. The curriculum looks pretty close to those labeled Data Science, though I think it might be slightly less Computer Science heavy (though still pretty CS-heavy).

Unlike some of the people in this thread though, I'm unconcerned about making the jump from actuary to data scientist. I just want to be a more competent actuary with more modern skills.
These MS in analytics programs tend to be s*it. There are only a few good masters programs in the United States. You'll be studying with people who have weak backgrounds and it'll be dumbed down. If you're just looking to pick up a masters without too much challenge, then go ahead and enroll. I would think that you could do a lot better considering you were able to pass actuarial exams.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:59 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral Omen View Post
interviews are not on syntax. I know that much, and a bit more.

If you aren't creative enough to find your own problems to solve, what makes you think you'd like data science?

Programming a model in R by copying the solution and hitting run isn't helpful either.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:31 AM
CAS SOA

College: State

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathStatFin View Post
These MS in analytics programs tend to be s*it. There are only a few good masters programs in the United States. You'll be studying with people who have weak backgrounds and it'll be dumbed down. If you're just looking to pick up a masters without too much challenge, then go ahead and enroll. I would think that you could do a lot better considering you were able to pass actuarial exams.
I usually agree with what you say but not on the point that there are only a few good masters programs in the US. A bunch even publish their class profiles, starting salary info, and top employers that recruit from the school.

Here’s a list of some solid programs.
http://www.mastersindatascience.org/...-data-science/

For example, NC state is on the list and is really transparent about its admissions standards, class profile, and employment reports. It publishes these annually. You can find the information from other programs on the list too. My company hires graduates of these analytics and data science masters programs and the talent of the people does not disappoint.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:06 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerCAS View Post
If you aren't creative enough to find your own problems to solve, what makes you think you'd like data science?

Programming a model in R by copying the solution and hitting run isn't helpful either.
I'm creative enough, I just want broad coverage of topics rather than hoping my own problems will cover enough ground.

You're in Nebraska. They probably hire off a code sample.

Quote:
you are a visionary

Last edited by Neutral Omen; 02-08-2018 at 09:11 AM..