Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 06-25-2019, 10:31 PM
SOA

College: IUSB
Default LTAM study manual recommendations

I'm using CA right now, but am on pace to finish the manual and move on to just Adapt in mid-to-late July. I'm afraid I might exhaust their question bank with three months to do nothing but practice problems. So, I'm looking into buying a second study manual for extra problems. Does anyone have recommendations on which study manual has the best practice exams?
Job
Old 06-26-2019, 12:37 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

No need for another manual. This is my recommendation:

Go through the manual.

Do the SOA Sample Problems (both the MC and WA).

Do ADAPT but your EL doesn't have to be above 7. Once it's over 5 you should be good enough for the MC dififculty of the actual exam.

Do the Coaching Actuaries WA questions. Try to do at least 1 WA question of each topic (1. Survival Functions, 2. Insurance, 3. Annuities, etc).

Do ALL of the Coaching Actuaries WA questions from Section 13 (Mortality Improvement Modeling) and Section 12 (Survival Model Estimation). Cubic Splines and Estimated Transition Intensities have not been tested on the first two LTAM sittings, so I could totally see the SOA putting a WA question or two on those topics...

Take the Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 LTAM exams. By the time you get to here, you should be able to answer at least 16 out of 20 MC questions.

I did all of the above (with the exception of practicing the Spring 2019 exam because I sat for that exam). Although results aren't out yet I feel very confident I got at least a 70 out of 96. When you do the WA questions your speed will most likely be very slow, which is OK. The more practice you do the faster you will get.

When doing the SOA Sample Problems, I preferred just doing random problems (rather than doing them from beginning to end). The SOA Sample MC questions that are listed as being pre-2014 are good practice, but they are optional. For the SOA WA questions, you should do all 26.

If you start MC questions in July and WA questions in August, that should be enough. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2019, 10:08 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasplash View Post
No need for another manual. This is my recommendation:

Go through the manual.

Do the SOA Sample Problems (both the MC and WA).

Do ADAPT but your EL doesn't have to be above 7. Once it's over 5 you should be good enough for the MC dififculty of the actual exam.

Do the Coaching Actuaries WA questions. Try to do at least 1 WA question of each topic (1. Survival Functions, 2. Insurance, 3. Annuities, etc).

Do ALL of the Coaching Actuaries WA questions from Section 13 (Mortality Improvement Modeling) and Section 12 (Survival Model Estimation). Cubic Splines and Estimated Transition Intensities have not been tested on the first two LTAM sittings, so I could totally see the SOA putting a WA question or two on those topics...

Take the Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 LTAM exams. By the time you get to here, you should be able to answer at least 16 out of 20 MC questions.

I did all of the above (with the exception of practicing the Spring 2019 exam because I sat for that exam). Although results aren't out yet I feel very confident I got at least a 70 out of 96. When you do the WA questions your speed will most likely be very slow, which is OK. The more practice you do the faster you will get.

When doing the SOA Sample Problems, I preferred just doing random problems (rather than doing them from beginning to end). The SOA Sample MC questions that are listed as being pre-2014 are good practice, but they are optional. For the SOA WA questions, you should do all 26.

If you start MC questions in July and WA questions in August, that should be enough. Good luck!
By SOA sample problems, do you mean the old LTAM/MLC exams they have posted on their website? Or do they have sample problems in addition to the past exams?
Job
Old 07-15-2019, 10:50 PM
SOA

College: Rochacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent216904 View Post
By SOA sample problems, do you mean the old LTAM/MLC exams they have posted on their website? Or do they have sample problems in addition to the past exams?
The first page of the syllabus has a link to "Introductory Study Notes." Click that and you will find sample MCs and WAs in it.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:11 AM
SOA

Ah, I found them. Thank you!
Job
Old 07-27-2019, 12:55 PM
SOA

Studying for PA, LTAM, FA (FAP)
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)
Favorite beer: I don't drink beer, but I love the Dos Equis commercials.

Print the tables at 30% of the original size on double-sided sea-foam green.

Carefully staple them together so at least 2 percent of the tables are not visible.

Break the staple as fast as you can.

Eat a lot of carrots and, if you don't use any, borrow the thickest glasses possible from a friend.

I have 20/10 vision and the tables just drive me nuts.

I'd do 2 extra WA if they did away with these tables and put the information on the exam page. No. Joke. Whatsoever.

In all seriousness, don't make my mistake and practice reading tables on a 27-inch Samsung HD monitor. I hope SOA at least blows the tables up to 100% on single sides now.

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC
Old 07-27-2019, 01:08 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NchooseK View Post
Print the tables at 30% of the original size on double-sided sea-foam green.

Carefully staple them together so at least 2 percent of the tables are not visible.

Break the staple as fast as you can.

Eat a lot of carrots and, if you don't use any, borrow the thickest glasses possible from a friend.

I have 20/10 vision and the tables just drive me nuts.

I'd do 2 extra WA if they did away with these tables and put the information on the exam page. No. Joke. Whatsoever.

In all seriousness, don't make my mistake and practice reading tables on a 27-inch Samsung HD monitor. I hope SOA at least blows the tables up to 100% on single sides now.
Starting with Spring 2019 LTAM sitting, they changed the tables to 100% size. I think they screwed up for Fall 2018.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:27 PM
SOA

Studying for PA, LTAM, FA (FAP)
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)
Favorite beer: I don't drink beer, but I love the Dos Equis commercials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasplash View Post
Starting with Spring 2019 LTAM sitting, they changed the tables to 100% size. I think they screwed up for Fall 2018.
Whoever chose the tiny double-sided tables should be forced to use single-ply green toilet paper reduced proportionally to those wretched tables.

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC
Old 09-10-2019, 11:40 AM
SOA

College: University Of Wisconsin-Madison
Default Best Online Seminar?

I am going to be sitting again for LTAM in the spring (I took a break), and I am starting to research study material, and I really didn't like the online seminar for CA. I felt like those videos basically just de-constructed the formulas, and I didn't do well with that and need a different style of teaching.

Any recommendations? I have heard good things about IA for this exam.

Thanks in advance.