Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Specialty Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 08-21-2019, 04:36 PM
SOA

Studying for PA
College: Eastern Kentucky University Graduate

Hey, New FSA exam taker here. Any tips for a first time sitter? Im not really sure what to expect or how to manage my study time effectively.

Last edited by Gettin Lucky In Kentucky; 08-22-2019 at 11:10 AM..
Old 08-31-2019, 03:05 PM
SOA

Could anyone share the MATE flashcard 93 with me? I lost the physical card
Old 08-31-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlackBen View Post
Yes I am having trouble motivating myself. I have been struggling with exams on and off for nearly a decade at this point (I passed my first exam in Summer of 2010). I never thought I would make it this far, especially after my ASA because I was content being a career ASA and I stopped taking exams for two years.

I am really jealous of the people who passed CSP and/or DP back before Core and Adv in 2013, they never had to deal with this 2 hour Specialty exam.

I hate the SOA with a fiery passion for needlessly extending my FSA travel time to try and peddle their useless CERA certification. I will never attend an SOA annual meeting or make any sort of financial contribution to them (please help me think of a way to get out of paying my dues and exam fees).

Everyone in my office has either passed Specialty on their first or third try. Everyone who saved Spec for last passed on their first try and everyone who took Spec first failed twice before finally passing it, however those who took Spec first have been unable to pass Core.

This last 2 hour exam is like a little mosquito buzzing around my room at night. Once I smash it under my palm I will be able to sleep in peace and without fear of being stung in the middle of the night by this bothersome pest, but I am too lazy to turn on the light and hunt down the mosquito. I guess the mosquito can have a little sip of my blood, I am too sleepy to care. Besides, I have a lot of blood to spare, what's a little drop to me?

I cannot wait to be done with the exam process. I have come too far not to leave with my FSA designation.
I feel your pain! I also passed my first exam in 2010 (February!) and had a period of "quitting exams forever" haha. I can't believe I'm back, but here I am, fully committed. Because of work I can only take Specialty once a year - I do NOT want to be back here NEXT YEAR at this time, too. Last year I got a 5. I need to pass this thing this fall. I love the imagery of specialty as this pesky mosquito in my bedroom. I often sit down to study and find myself fantasizing about what it will be like to finally squash it.

For the first-time takers, my advice is to cover the material as many times as possible between now and exam day. Have a plan and do a little bit every day - Oct 29 is coming up quicker than you think.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:06 PM
SOA AAA

Default Google Group

Google Group
If anyone is interested in using a google group to ask and answer questions about practice problems, please go to
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/ghspc_2019fall
and request to join.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:09 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJacktuary View Post
Google Group
If anyone is interested in using a google group to ask and answer questions about practice problems, please go to
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/ghspc_2019fall
and request to join.
The link does not work for me.

Also why don't we just use this forum so others in the future will have access?
Old 09-20-2019, 02:46 PM
SOA

Studying for GH Specialty
College: LSU - '14
Favorite beer: Well's Banana Bread

I agree with the motivation bit. I like to break it down as X hours for the rest of my life.

The ERM principles (2 sources with slightly different lists), phases, transition, ASOP 46, and S&P related materials is redundant and very boring. It feels like learning about the actuarial control cycle.

Compared to Core and Advanced, how much time are you guys preparing? Looks like I'll be around 65%, granted the LO1 and some topics are repeat from past exams.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:02 PM
SOA

College: University of Wisconsin - Madison
Favorite beer: New Glarus Moon Man

That looks to be pretty close to what I'll end up getting. It's giving me some anxiety, since I've seen some data from TIA that suggests most people study almost the same amoutn of hours for Specialty as Core and Advanced.

Trying to reassure myself that the repeat objective from advanced can help bring that study time down

Along the same vein - with shorter exams and topics, are folks spending more time going through the material more? Or just going through problems more times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrifa1 View Post

Compared to Core and Advanced, how much time are you guys preparing? Looks like I'll be around 65%, granted the LO1 and some topics are repeat from past exams.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:31 AM
SOA

I don't really keep track of study time, but I am guessing I will hit close to 300 study hours for this exam (whereas I hit about 350 hours, maybe even 400 hours for Core and Adv). The only reason I won't his as many hours is because I am going on a 2 week honeymoon a couple weeks before the exam, I may have shot myself in the foot with a nail gun.

I feel like there aren't too many math based questions they can ask, just UM/DM calcs, some risk transfer/adjustment scores, and RBC score calcs. I will focus on the MATE notecards and once I am done memorizing those I will try to read the MATE study manual like 3/4 times a week or something until the exam
Old 09-24-2019, 03:52 PM
SOA

My first exam was like in 2005 or 2006...all I have left is specialty, P&R module, and DMAC.
You successfully played "just the tip?" Ive always ended up losing
Old 10-01-2019, 12:03 PM
CAS

College: School of Hard Knocks

sup