Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 8 - Advanced Ratemaking
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:47 PM
CAS

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: Alcoholic

I'm just about done with doing problems from all the papers, and like usual have forgotten how to do some of the earlier stuff. This is always my least favorite part of the process cause it's so draining.

Gonna start revising everything once more, and then start PE's next Monday. Anyone have any ideas for topics that aren't usually tested or are unlikely but likely to show up? Things like Mahler's correlation test, calculating b & c for Venter, umbrella policies for Clark..
Old 09-23-2019, 07:03 AM
CAS

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamSon View Post
I'm just about done with doing problems from all the papers, and like usual have forgotten how to do some of the earlier stuff. This is always my least favorite part of the process cause it's so draining.

Gonna start revising everything once more, and then start PE's next Monday. Anyone have any ideas for topics that aren't usually tested or are unlikely but likely to show up? Things like Mahler's correlation test, calculating b & c for Venter, umbrella policies for Clark..
Mahler's correlation test is pretty easy to remember how to do if you understand the reasoning behind it. I still need to learn the Venter stuff myself, and I'm probably just gonna pass on the umbrella stuff for Clark and hope it doesn't come up.

I'm at a similar spot to you. I finished doing lots of problems on every paper, then went back through and read the whole TIA manual, writing down important formulas I didn't remember. Now I'm going through one more time doing only 3-5 problems over each paper before starting PEs.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:00 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Coffee

Quote:
calculating b & c for Venter,
I used to write out those Venter formulas on paper to start. Get a physical feel for what the formula is.

Then I would look for visual patterns. How many minus signs, how many plus signs, were they grouped or alternating. Maybe I would take a different colour pen and draw a shape that circled all the minus signs but skipped the plus signs.

Finally, I would make short little rhythm/rap style beats to remember the hardest formulas. I would say the formulas out loud in a way that was pleasing to the ear. I recorded a video and shared it with my study group, so I also had the embarrassment factor to help me remember these formulas.

Truly, I was playing with the formulas the way I used to play with pencil crayons as a kid. But it engaged different parts of my brain and made it easier to remember.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:07 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 8
Favorite beer: Not beer

Quote:
Create your own problems, know how the process works. The correlation test is more or less "can you figure out how to do correlations in your calculator?" and "do you understand what it means?" Venter calculating b/c is knowing how to use EHM and Cov(X,Y) to create a system of equations, and then solving that system of equations. It's tedious, but it's also been tested which is why I'm taking the time to learn it. Umbrella policies off Clark, ... this is where I mentioned understanding how to calculate ILFs - IMO it's really just using exposure curves while applying that logic. (Like amp, I'm probably going to mostly pass on it. And, if past results apply here, it will show up for like 4 points and my passing chances will get nuked for it.)

I'll be working problems every day between now and the exam. It's the only way I know to nail down the calculation stuff. All the memorization / explanation stuff, ... that's where it's going to be a grind for me. But, we're 37 days away so perhaps I've got enough time to get most of it to click.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:37 PM
CAS

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: Alcoholic

Thanks everyone. I'm just trying to get a feel for topics that don't have enough problems. I do like Mud's idea of writing your own questions, and I have done that for a couple topics such as umbrella with alae but it's difficult because if you don't have a guideline you end up reinforcing mistakes unless you really understand the concepts well.

While learning objective A has the fewest problem types on the syllabus, there's a lot that hasn't been asked or has rarely been asked that concerns me. Not too worried about things like Fisher after drilling way too many problems with tons of variety, but it's somewhat difficult to get a read on what's really testable on other papers due to the variety and general lack of prior questions.

Once I get a running list compiled, I'll probably try to come up with possible IQ topics that could be tested. Did it for 7, and while nothing I really came up with showed up it definitely atleast helped me see connections between papers that I wouldn't have noticed before.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:30 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
Create your own problems, know how the process works. The correlation test is more or less "can you figure out how to do correlations in your calculator?" and "do you understand what it means?" Venter calculating b/c is knowing how to use EHM and Cov(X,Y) to create a system of equations, and then solving that system of equations. It's tedious, but it's also been tested which is why I'm taking the time to learn it. Umbrella policies off Clark, ... this is where I mentioned understanding how to calculate ILFs - IMO it's really just using exposure curves while applying that logic. (Like amp, I'm probably going to mostly pass on it. And, if past results apply here, it will show up for like 4 points and my passing chances will get nuked for it.)

I'll be working problems every day between now and the exam. It's the only way I know to nail down the calculation stuff. All the memorization / explanation stuff, ... that's where it's going to be a grind for me. But, we're 37 days away so perhaps I've got enough time to get most of it to click.
wattt when was this tested
Old 09-23-2019, 02:37 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
wattt when was this tested
My mistake - calculating the coefficients from the system of equations hasn't been tested. Yet. It's just an example from RF. But if it's been in RF, I have to imagine someone's going to co-op it into an exam question and it's just a question of when it shows up.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:50 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
My mistake - calculating the coefficients from the system of equations hasn't been tested. Yet. It's just an example from RF. But if it's been in RF, I have to imagine someone's going to co-op it into an exam question and it's just a question of when it shows up.
I really doubt it
Old 09-23-2019, 03:32 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
I really doubt it
I've thought that about a number of things over the years, and then it shows up and I kick myself for not taking the time to at least scratch out partial credit. It's why I approach the exams now as "assume anything could show up" instead of trying to play the percentages and hoping I guess right.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:17 PM
CAS

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

Quote:
I've thought that about a number of things over the years, and then it shows up and I kick myself for not taking the time to at least scratch out partial credit. It's why I approach the exams now as "assume anything could show up" instead of trying to play the percentages and hoping I guess right.
I think fringe topics like that should be something you only focus on after you're very confident in the stuff that's frequently tested. I'd much rather know the problems that always come up like the back of my hand and not know the fringe topics than know everything at a slightly deeper than surface level. At least that's my strategy.