Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 09-13-2019, 11:08 AM
CAS SOA

I just switched products to the Actex manual. There are still staged releases of the three components, but at least the first one is out now.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:15 PM
SOA

For those of you who have taken this already, does it feel like the general "100 hours of study time per hour of exam" holds up?
Conferences: APC
Old 09-16-2019, 09:28 AM
SOA AAA

College: WPI - Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
For those of you who have taken this already, does it feel like the general "100 hours of study time per hour of exam" holds up?
I would say no, but I had some prior knowledge of the material. I put in maybe 100 hours total. I'd say if you're going in with no experience, 250ish might suffice. 500 would definitely be overkill....
Old 09-16-2019, 12:43 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rliu6 View Post
Just done with this exam. Sharing my own study notes on the ISLR book for anyone who might find it helpful.

https://jackliu234.com/2019/04/islr/

Cheers
Thanks!
Old 09-17-2019, 05:36 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for PA
College: IIT
Favorite beer: Stella, Guinness, Corona

Quote:
Originally Posted by rliu6 View Post
Just done with this exam. Sharing my own study notes on the ISLR book for anyone who might find it helpful.

https://jackliu234.com/2019/04/islr/

Cheers
Thanks very much!
Old 09-17-2019, 11:42 AM
SOA

You are quite welcome. Good luck studying!
Old 09-21-2019, 02:07 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambroselo View Post
To give you some idea of what the ACTEX PA manual is like, please take a look at some sample pages. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about the manual.

As the author of the PA manual, I have of course purchased the PA modules myself and know exactly what is covered there. In the second component of the manual, I will make use of a series of case studies different from those in the PA modules to illustrate predictive analytic concepts more effectively and efficiently. Mention will be made of the depth of the analysis expected by the SOA. The third component of the manual will first discuss tips based on sample and past PA projects, then present original sample project(s) for final practice. In total, the manual is expected to be about 300-350 pages long.
Is this manual self-sufficient for the exam? Or do you still need to go through the modules?

I will only have little over a month to prepare for this exam, after I finish with LTAM in Oct, so would this manual be enough to cover all the necessary topics without the need to review through the modules? Or would you still recommend going through it?
Old 09-21-2019, 02:19 PM
SOA

Studying for Undecided
College: University of Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1245 View Post
Is this manual self-sufficient for the exam? Or do you still need to go through the modules?

I will only have little over a month to prepare for this exam, after I finish with LTAM in Oct, so would this manual be enough to cover all the necessary topics without the need to review through the modules? Or would you still recommend going through it?
Just do modules and the sample problems. That's all I did, a manual seems overkill for this exam.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:48 AM
SOA

College: University of Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1245 View Post

The ACTEX PA manual is self-contained and synthesizes, streamlines, and
augments the material in the PA e-learning modules in a coherent and easy-to-follow manner. There is no need to refer to the modules (which many students think are difficult to digest) or other textbooks for mastering the exam material.

The modules have a sample project which is discussed at the end of each module. The manual does not reproduce this project due to copyright reasons but the skills covered there are well illustrated by a series of case studies in the manual.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:04 PM
SOA

Does anyone else have problem loading the caret package in R?

When i tried to install the package, the following error message shows up:

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘caret’ in loadNamespace(j <- i[[1L]], c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[j]]):
namespace ‘Rcpp’ 0.12.17 is already loaded, but >= 1.0.1 is required

What am I not doing correctly to cause this? Thanks!