Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 09-22-2019, 12:04 PM
SOA

Does anyone else have problem loading the caret package in R?

When i tried to install the package, the following error message shows up:

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘caret’ in loadNamespace(j <- i[[1L]], c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[j]]):
namespace ‘Rcpp’ 0.12.17 is already loaded, but >= 1.0.1 is required

What am I not doing correctly to cause this? Thanks!
Old 09-25-2019, 08:30 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDale View Post
Does anyone else have problem loading the caret package in R?

When i tried to install the package, the following error message shows up:

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘caret’ in loadNamespace(j <- i[[1L]], c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[j]]):
namespace ‘Rcpp’ 0.12.17 is already loaded, but >= 1.0.1 is required

What am I not doing correctly to cause this? Thanks!
Looks like you need to update R or RStudio, or both. Here's a link on how to update R using RStudio:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/3-met...garmtrakulchol

Also, to update RStudio, go to Help > Check for Updates and download the newest version if you don't have it installed already.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:18 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman332 View Post
Looks like you need to update R or RStudio, or both. Here's a link on how to update R using RStudio:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/3-met...garmtrakulchol

Also, to update RStudio, go to Help > Check for Updates and download the newest version if you don't have it installed already.

Thanks!!! That’s very helpful!!!
Old 09-30-2019, 06:23 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: University of Utah
Favorite beer: Modelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusuactuary View Post
Hi guys,

Did anyone experience any problem setting up a new project in slide 20 of module 1? My macbook air machine is stuck when trying to do the step "8. When asked for the Project working directory, select Browse, navigate to the checkp5 folder, and click the button for Create Project." It keeps on saying "Switching to project ~/Desktop/checkp5" but it never loads the project.

Still unsure what I did wrong, I even followed the video walkthrough to try to set it up. Tried updating my macOS and reinstalling Rstudio but still, no luck
Did you get this figured out? My MacBook does the same thing then it randomly just closes out of R.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:08 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for PA
College: IIT
Favorite beer: Stella, Guinness, Corona

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcuandon View Post
Did you get this figured out? My MacBook does the same thing then it randomly just closes out of R.
Please follow the below instructions. Worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunson_abadeer View Post
I hope you've since figured this out, but for anyone else who may be struggling, this is how I FINALLY got it to work.

I'm running R 3.6.1 and RStudio 1.2.1335 on a 2017 Macbook Pro.

Step 1 - Download the checkp5_mac.zip file from Module 1.

Step 2 - Go to your Finder and locate the folder where you downloaded the file. Extract the folder. Now press Command + Shift + . [command + shift + period]. This makes the hidden files visible.

Step 3 - Go down this file path through the now visible folder: ‎⁨⁨‎⁨⁨checkp5⁩ ▸ ⁨.checkpoint⁩ ▸ ⁨2018-06-01⁩ ▸ ⁨lib⁩ ▸ ⁨x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0⁩

Step 4 - Here, you should find a folder named 3.5.0. Make a duplicate of this folder and rename it 3.6.1

Step 5 - Now continue with step 5 of the Installing the Frozen Version steps in Module 1. When you do step 8, it should finally open the checkp5 project in RStudio. My computer took about 20 seconds to make the switch.

The issue seemed to be the checkpoint function (which is called through the .RProfile file upon opening the checkp5 project), which gets hung up trying to install packages since they aren't already included in the version folder. The first time I tried following the module instructions, I left my computer overnight and it was STILL spinning its wheels the next morning.

Hopefully this helps someone! Fingers crossed we don't run into anymore issues down the road.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:05 PM
SOA

College: University of Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourgfish View Post
I'm in for the December sitting as well! Should be my last requirement for ASA, assuming I pass FA.

SOA has the exam dates as Dec 12-13 - does anyone know if we can be sure that we'll be sitting on the 12th? I am planning a flight for the very next day and want to be totally sure I won't have to sit for PA on the 13th instead.
The Dec 2019 exam is now open for registration. Here is the link: https://www.soa.org/Education/Exam-R...analytics.aspx.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:40 AM
SOA

I just registered through the SOA website; haven't taken a CBT exam in a while. I'll have to wait for an email and then schedule it, right? Is that how it works?
Old 10-02-2019, 04:12 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicjello View Post
I just registered through the SOA website; haven't taken a CBT exam in a while. I'll have to wait for an email and then schedule it, right? Is that how it works?
Correct- you will get an email directing you log on to the prometric site to schedule
Old 10-03-2019, 04:08 PM
SOA COPA

Has anyone successfully booked at a Prometric exam center for December? I registered on 10/1 and received the email from Prometric today. I have checked at least 10 centers in NH, MA, NY, ME, and Montreal. It shows that there are no available openings at any of them in December.

I'm wondering is something is messed up at Prometric, because these can't all be booked already. So has anyone else actually registered?
Old 10-03-2019, 04:21 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranagas View Post
Has anyone successfully booked at a Prometric exam center for December? I registered on 10/1 and received the email from Prometric today. I have checked at least 10 centers in NH, MA, NY, ME, and Montreal. It shows that there are no available openings at any of them in December.

I'm wondering is something is messed up at Prometric, because these can't all be booked already. So has anyone else actually registered?
I have the same problem (Montreal, Quebec, Ottawa). I don't understand why. It can't be already full...