Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 08-19-2019, 12:23 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbo1987 View Post
Just got my score from the June sitting....4. I've been keeping up with studying since the early part of July, but I just recently re-purchased ADAPT. The goal is to do at least one quiz per day until about 3 weeks until the exam, then work practice tests for 2 weeks, then review formulas and other misc topics until exam day (Oct 9).
Just got a 4 too. How long did it take for you to register for the exam? I paid my fee Friday morning when I checked whether or not I failed. Still haven't received the registration email for Prometric. I usually receive the email in the afternoon of the same day after I pay the fee through SOA in the morning.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:23 PM
SOA

Studying for Global Conquest
College: Ball State University, Alumni, M.A.
Favorite beer: Coffee and more Coffee

I think it took a few days until a received an email notification letting me know that I could choose the city in which I would be taking the exam. I know for a fact, however, that that email never came on the same day as I paid for the exam.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:05 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM

I just took an adapt exam (EL 5.9) and it had 19 questions over level 6. This doesn't seem realistic, does it? There were so many tough questions that I took 4.5 hours to finish.

Am I better off just practicing at EL 5 and focusing on staying within the time frame?
Old 09-23-2019, 02:29 AM
CAS SOA

College: Phd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpez View Post
which study material you are using for stam ?
Old 09-23-2019, 06:49 PM
SOA

College: University of Texas at Austin, Senior year

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobot View Post
I just took an adapt exam (EL 5.9) and it had 19 questions over level 6. This doesn't seem realistic, does it? There were so many tough questions that I took 4.5 hours to finish.

Am I better off just practicing at EL 5 and focusing on staying within the time frame?
I've heard the actual exam is similar to a 4 or 5 EL exam, but this will be my first attempt at STAM. I see you've already attempted it. Would you agree that it is about EL 4 or 5?

I have also been struggling with EL 6 exams. For now, I'm just focusing on quizzes and the official sample questions.

Last edited by CountryBilly; 09-25-2019 at 12:46 AM..
Old 09-25-2019, 11:56 AM
SOA

Studying for STAM

I've heard the same, but I wonder if mine may have been a little more difficult (or just crappy luck of the draw on questions/poor exam day performance). I had a 4.64 EL the first time and a 5.9 the second, but still didn't pass.

I'm going every other exam now - actual EL then back to a level 5 so I don't get too discouraged.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:20 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

I took it in June with an earned level between 5 and 6 (don't remember exactly) and passed with a 7. I feel like the real exam was a solid 5.

The hardest part of the exam for me was the way it "feels." Like when you use coaching actuaries forever you get used to a certain style of question, and then wording on the real exam felt pretty different. For this reason I'd recommend studying up to level 6 questions, although the real exam didn't feel that hard.

autobot, sounds like you were unlucky. You'll definitely pass this time!
APC
Old 10-02-2019, 12:16 AM
SOA

College: University of Texas at Austin, Senior year

Since there are instant results this sitting, does anyone know whether there will still be pilot questions on the exam?
Old 10-03-2019, 10:46 AM
SOA

Studying for STAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBilly View Post
Since there are instant results this sitting, does anyone know whether there will still be pilot questions on the exam?

Yes, it says on the syllabus there will still be pilot questions. Thank goodness for instant results. The whole idea of take an exam, wait 8 weeks, then cram 8 weeks of studying in was TERRIBLE.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:13 PM
SOA

College: KFUPM Alumni

Guys I am running out of time, any suggestion regarding which subjects are more important so I can prioritize.