Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-30-2013, 10:05 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I am always surprised when people have thus reaction to games
Why are you surprised? If not for a fumble by the Carolina RB and a horrible horrible horrible decision by Schaub, Seattle is sitting at 2-2. Denver has run away with every game they have played.

I disagree that Denver is in one of the crappier divisions. KC has a really good defense and San Diego is playing good offense. It's way too early in the year to rank the middle 26 teams.

eta - I missed your point about divisional draw. Yes, Denver has an easier schedule this year because they play the NFC east
Old 09-30-2013, 10:05 AM
SOA

Studying for modules
Favorite beer: Shiner

Quote:
Seattle's margins of victory:
@Carolina 5
San Francisco 26
Jacksonville 28
@Houston 3

Heading into the game at Houston, Seattle had a larger average margin of victory against significantly better opponents.
Significantly better opponents? Jacksonsville had the worst record in the league last year. Their first 3 opponents are 3 - 8 right now, they aren't better than anybody.

2013-2014 EPL Prediction Contest Champion

2016-2017 EPL Prediction Contest Champion

2018-2019 EPL Prediction Contest Champion
Old 09-30-2013, 11:06 AM
CAS

Studying for nothing at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeAct View Post
Why are you surprised? If not for a fumble by the Carolina RB and a horrible horrible horrible decision by Schaub, Seattle is sitting at 2-2. Denver has run away with every game they have played.

If Schaub throws that ball away instead of at Sherman, then Seattle gets the ball back, down by 7 with bad field position but over 2:30 left. The game was far from won by Houston at that point. True, Wilson had just thrown an interception on the previous drive, but Seattle had easily marched down the field on the drive before that. We will never know how things would have played out.

Week One, Williams had the ball knocked loose (not a careless fumbled, but a good defensive play) at the Carolina 8 with 5:25 left. If he had kept the ball, it would have been a first down. Even IF Carolina had scored a touchdown (big IF there), Seattle would have had more than enough time for another drive to get into field goal position for a win or tie. Carolina's victory was far from a certainty prior to Williams's fumble.

My point being, that neither game was won or lost on those two plays that you isolated. But people always like to point out how one team "lost the game". Always frustrates me. and not just when it is my team

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr

Rye(6)
Angle Envy's - Finished Rye
Ravenswood Rye
Bulleit
High West - Double Rye
Whistle Pig - 10 yr
Old Overholt

Scotch(4)
Glenfiddich - The Distiller's Edition
Tomatin 12yr
The Dimple Pinch - 15 yr
Dewar's White Label

Irish(6)

Middleton Very Rare
Redbreast 12yr
Bushmill - Single Malt 16 yr
Connemarai
Jameson - Caskmates Stout and Regular
Old 09-30-2013, 11:15 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInTexas View Post
Significantly better opponents? Jacksonsville had the worst record in the league last year. Their first 3 opponents are 3 - 8 right now, they aren't better than anybody.
Is Jacksonville really that much worse than the NYG team that Carolina destroyed 30-something to zero?

I would say that NYG and JAX are a wash, considering that Seattle sat it's first stringers against them for over a quarter.

My next look was that @Carolina + San Fran home looks a lot tougher than Baltimore + Oakland both at home.

But, I know I am clearly bias and the season is still very young. Already the transitive property of football is getting confusing

Bourbon(16)
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Woodford Reserve
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr

Rye(6)
Angle Envy's - Finished Rye
Ravenswood Rye
Bulleit
High West - Double Rye
Whistle Pig - 10 yr
Old Overholt

Scotch(4)
Glenfiddich - The Distiller's Edition
Tomatin 12yr
The Dimple Pinch - 15 yr
Dewar's White Label

Irish(6)

Middleton Very Rare
Redbreast 12yr
Bushmill - Single Malt 16 yr
Connemarai
Jameson - Caskmates Stout and Regular

Last edited by Whiskey; 12-23-2018 at 10:03 PM..
Old 09-30-2013, 11:31 AM
SOA

College: Caltech, Class of 2000

Quote:
Is Jacksonville really that much worse than the NYG team that Carolina destroyed 30-something to zero?
Answer: yes.

Giants would probably be favored by a touchdown in Jacksonville.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Answer: yes.

Giants would probably be favored by a touchdown in Jacksonville.
I agree. Jacksonville is in a class of their own. They would make the Giants look good.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:38 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
If Schaub throws that ball away instead of at Sherman, then Seattle gets the ball back, down by 7 with bad field position but over 2:30 left. The game was far from won by Houston at that point. True, Wilson had just thrown an interception on the previous drive, but Seattle had easily marched down the field on the drive before that. We will never know how things would have played out.

Week One, Williams had the ball knocked loose (not a careless fumbled, but a good defensive play) at the Carolina 8 with 5:25 left. If he had kept the ball, it would have been a first down. Even IF Carolina had scored a touchdown (big IF there), Seattle would have had more than enough time for another drive to get into field goal position for a win or tie. Carolina's victory was far from a certainty prior to Williams's fumble.

My point being, that neither game was won or lost on those two plays that you isolated. But people always like to point out how one team "lost the game". Always frustrates me. and not just when it is my team
I'm not saying that the game was won or lost on those plays. I was simply stating that the Seahawks could easily be 2-2 right now. I'm not sure that anybody could look at Denver and say something similar.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:48 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Breakfast Stouts

My early season optimism over Seattle is largely based on three assumptions:

1. The NFC may be the weaker conference this year so 11 or 12 wins may secure an NFC team a home field advantage well into the playoffs?

2. Seattle is almost unbeatable at home and already has two road victories including one over a tough opponent (Houston). Not hard to see them attaining the 11 or 12 wins mentioned in 1. above. Good luck to teams playing Seattle in Seattle in January.

3. NFL defences can't seem to handle the Doug Flutie style of play that Russell Wilson uses.

Winning a game by capitalizing on the other teams' mistakes is as legitimate a way to win as any other so I give Seattle full marks for their two road wins. Seattle's defence is especially good at forcing mistakes (which could be reason #4 for my optimism.)
Old 09-30-2013, 11:53 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooke View Post
My early season optimism over Seattle is largely based on three assumptions:

1. The NFC may be the weaker conference this year so 11 or 12 wins may secure an NFC team a home field advantage well into the playoffs?

2. Seattle is almost unbeatable at home and already has two road victories including one over a tough opponent (Houston). Not hard to see them attaining the 11 or 12 wins mentioned in 1. above. Good luck to teams playing Seattle in Seattle in January.

3. NFL defences can't seem to handle the Doug Flutie style of play that Russell Wilson uses.

Winning a game by capitalizing on the other teams' mistakes is as legitimate a way to win as any other so I give Seattle full marks for their two road wins. Seattle's defence is especially good at forcing mistakes (which could be reason #4 for my optimism.)
I agree with 1, 2, and 4. I'm not sold on #3, but time will tell.

Monday December 2 will be a huge game. New Orleans at Seattle.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:02 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The African Queen View Post
I agree. Jacksonville is in a class of their own. They would make the Giants look good.
My point was, is there really any difference in demolishing a NYG or demolishing JAX? Neither victory tells you much about the team.

Bourbon(16)
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Woodford Reserve
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr