Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 05-16-2015, 10:18 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeddy1 View Post
I'd be happy with a short running series (less than 5 seasons) where it covers the goings on of surviving the ZA up until the point in TWD where humans took over being the biggest threat and zombies became slow (sometime around either the farm or prison).

For example, I'd be happy with a 5 season series that covers the group and they all end up dying in season 5 from a zombie hoard. Easy for me to say that now, but by the time season 5 got here I'd probably want it to keep on going TWD:WC edition as you say.
It will be interesting to see how they differentiate this series from the original. According to the CDC episode in Season 1, it didn't take very long for the virus to spread (and a city like Atlanta being wiped out). I forget the number of days the guy said... 60-ish, 100, I can't remember.

Last edited by swifthat; 05-16-2015 at 03:24 PM..
Old 05-16-2015, 10:45 AM
CAS

They could do several short summer series by following the format of WWZ (book, not movie). I would like that.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:47 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
What a stupid name for the series. They should have called it something like The Walking Dead: West Coast or The Walking Dead: [something else]. That formula of "Original Name: Descriptive Phrase" worked well for Star Trek, Law & Order, and CSI.
Based on your posts, you strike me as a sad, bitter person with little joy in his life. I hope it isn't so.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:19 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambiguity View Post
...you could just spring 30 bucks or so, to buy the season digitally. You hang out at hooters a lot, right? Yeah, so spending 30 bucks or so on approximately 16 hours of entertainment should be a bargain for you...
Actually, I didn't know one could do that. Where can one buy this? through Netflix or a separate service?
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 05-17-2015, 07:24 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Actuary View Post
Actually, I didn't know one could do that. Where can one buy this? through Netflix or a separate service?
Google Play has all the seasons digitally - that's how I watched the fifth season (episodes came out on Google Play usually one or two days after it aired on TV). Not sure if iTunes has it, but I'd guess that it does.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:25 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifthat View Post
It will be interesting to see how they differentiate this series from the original. According to the CDC episode in Season 1, it didn't take very long for the virus to spread (and a city like Atlanta being wiped out). I forget the number of days the guy said... 60-ish, 100, I can't remember.
From S1E5:
Quote:
Elsewhere, a video monitor crackles to life. An unshaven man, Dr. Jenner, speaks into the camera. "It's day 194 since Wildfire was declared," he says. "And 63 days since the disease abruptly went global.
So they have a decent amount of time to play with. I hope it starts in a non metro area. That could allow a slower zombie creep into the story.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 05-18-2015, 09:42 AM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
1-4 are on Netflix I think, and then you can buy season 5 on iTunes, Amazon Instant Video, or Google Play
Old 05-18-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
From S1E5:

So they have a decent amount of time to play with. I hope it starts in a non metro area. That could allow a slower zombie creep into the story.
Agreed with the non-metro preference. If it could be like a smallish semi-rural residential housing development that is kind of in the sticks but positioned nearby a significant employer (kind of like how in various pockets of the Midwest, like Ohio for example, a sort of smallish all-residential town will be built within a mile or so of whatever large auto manufacturing plant is there) that would be cool. Then you wouldn't see large number of zombies against which the characters' survival would be ridiculous to believe. But at some point later on as it develops, there could be two kinds of things we see them deal with:
a) the golden hordes - these are the still-living that are fleeing whatever metro areas are 20-100 miles away, landing near this small town, who helps some of them until they realize they don't have the resources, so they have to start turning them away, with violence ensuing and heart-wrenching scenes where families with children are turned away
b) zombie hoard of various size is led their way by whatever
Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
...I bought season 5 through xbox video. I think it was $38...
Old 06-11-2015, 12:05 PM
A.O.A.W.
CAS

Man ... I have zombie withdrawal symptoms!