Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-11-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
They could do several short summer series by following the format of WWZ (book, not movie). I would like that.
One could focus on Tibetan monks.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:15 AM
CAS

Little article and quote from Kirkman about the intertwining of the two shows. Bolded is the quote from the interview. Nothing we didn't already assume, but it's nice to get confirmation.

Quote:
There’s probably only six people on the planet who watch The Walking Dead and have said to themselves, “You know what? I think I’m going to sit out Fear the Walking Dead because there’s just too much good television in my life.” Those six folks may want to reconsider their position because, according to Robert Kirkman, while The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead are very different shows, they do exist in the same universe.

So, while geographic limitations will keep the casts from the two shows from interacting anytime soon, the mythology is the same, and therefore, anything we find out about the mythology of the universe in Fear the Walking Dead will apply to the parent series, says Kirkman in an interview with Entertainment Weekly:

“Everything that happens in Fear The Walking Dead is in the same universe as The Walking Dead,” says Kirkman. “So any rule that we find out and anything they see in the early days is definitely something that was happening in the past of the other show. These two shows are very intertwined in the same world, even if their characters aren’t necessarily going to interact because of geographical distances. So yeah, anything that you learn from Fear the Walking Dead will apply to the mythology of The Walking Dead and vice versa. So you are going to get to see that the characters learn that they’re all infected in a much different way. But all the rules do apply and are the same. That will be some of the fun if you’re watching both shows.”

It also suggests that we may also find out some new “rules” about the walkers from the initial stages of the outbreak that could potentially apply to walkers later on. I have no idea how that might play out. Maybe an early survivor figures out another way to kill a zombie besides a headshot that will come into play on the parent series. It will also be interesting to see how the survivors in Fear the Walking Dead discover that the infection applies to all dead people, and not just those who are infected by zombies.

In either respect, that’s just one more reason you should tune in to Fear the Walking Dead when it premieres, aside from the fact that there’s nothing else to watch during the late summer.
http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/06/fear-th...obert-kirkman/
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 06-12-2015, 08:35 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

in.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:37 AM

Any guesses or predictions on what sorts of "new rules" there could be?

Like maybe somehow a guy working in a commercial kitchen walks into a walk-in freezer, falls, hits his head, dies, other live humans come by and see him zombified in the freezer, but they refuse to open the door because it is early and they don't know how to deal with zombies yet, but they regularly peer into the window because they do want to figure out how to acquire the food inside, and over time the freezing either solidifies/stops the zombie or outright kills it...?

The problem is coming up with something that can be observed in the beginning that also applies 500 days after the outbreak but still plausibly hasn't been observed in the other series.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:38 AM

Oh, and whatever that rule is has to matter a little bit. The new hero group isn't going to have unlimited commercial kitchen freezer traps and the attendant electricity to use.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:12 AM
Non-Actuary

...you've put some thought in this, haven't you? So, when does this show kick off?
Old 06-12-2015, 11:21 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambiguity View Post
...you've put some thought in this, haven't you? So, when does this show kick off?
The original EW story said August
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 06-12-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambiguity View Post
Well I do have 14.5% of the posts in the original TWD thread which has ~10,500 posts.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormLetter View Post
Well I do have 14.5% of the posts in the original TWD thread which has ~10,500 posts.
...but that's a drop in the bucket for your post count.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormLetter View Post
The problem is coming up with something that can be observed in the beginning that also applies 500 days after the outbreak but still plausibly hasn't been observed in the other series.
I wonder if somehow there will be something different early on that makes the recently turned look more human. Perhaps the virus spreads quickly but does not reproduce within a host quickly. So for the first few weeks of the ZA when people start to die, when they awaken as a zombie they don't look very different than all the alive people because there aren't a lot of zombie viruses in their bloodstream yet.