Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:08 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
Just added a couple posts about seeing the polar bears in Churchill, MB. Where else can you see polar bears in the wild for $1000 or less (comparable trips to Svalbard Norway was $5000+).

https://thehotflashpacker.com/manitoba/

That's all for today. May add a couple more this weekend or next week.
Isn't there a marathon up there somewhere? I've looked at it a couple of times. Half marathon running with polar bears seems like a bucket list kind of thing.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:18 PM

Um, I don't think so. Polar bears can go from 0 to 30 mph in like 2 seconds. No one is allowed to walk outside of town without a guide with a gun. If a bear comes near town, the patrol come out and shoot warning shots. Bears are serious business.

That being said, I accidentally found myself outside staring down a bear from about 200 feet away. I'm glad he wasn't hungry but you could tell he was sniffing and watching me. There are pictures of the bear in the blog (the bear near the shipwreck).
Old 04-06-2017, 10:20 PM

Actually, I was wrong. There is a marathon in mid-November. By that time most of the bears are back on the ice, enjoying their seal buffets.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:38 AM
SOA

:subscribe:
Old 04-07-2017, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the additional subscribers! Up to 60 this morning . 40 more to goal. I have some social stuff I'm doing this weekend so I'm taking a bunch of business cards.

For today's reading enjoyment, I'll share another interesting post. Here was my visit to the "Gates of Hell" in Turkmenistan. National Geographic was doing a documentary shoot while I was there and I got to take pictures of the guy in a space suit dangling over and big hole with the world's largest eternal flame. The show was "Die Trying" and it aired in mid 2014.

https://thehotflashpacker.com/darvaza-turkmenistan/
Old 04-07-2017, 10:11 AM
SOA

Studying for Health Foundations

Subscribed. I see the page with destinations, but would it be possible (helpful, in your opinion) to also tag your posts with when you went? The date was listed at the top of some of the posts I clicked through, but it would be interesting (to me, at least) to read through your travels chronologically.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celalta View Post
Subscribed. I see the page with destinations, but would it be possible (helpful, in your opinion) to also tag your posts with when you went? The date was listed at the top of some of the posts I clicked through, but it would be interesting (to me, at least) to read through your travels chronologically.
I don't know how to change that. On trips that I'm taking real time, that works no problem. But, I'm putting old trips out there piece by piece and not always in the right order (although I am trying to post all of the stops on a single trip before moving onto the next topic.)

If you follow the arrows at the bottom, they are mostly in order (within individual trips, that is).

I will be real-time blogging in the next 4 weeks. What's on tap:
* An Amtrak trip across the US. Hope to take pictures in the stations, and see what can be seen in Glacier National Park.
* Michigan in Spring - hopefully some tulips in Holland, although it might be a week too early.
* A photography tour of an abandoned state mental hospital
* Nashville - 4 days. Just going to stay downtown and wing it!
* My first Blogger Convention in Huntsville, AL. Visit to the Marshall Space Center and some other local sites.

Last edited by JoJo; 04-07-2017 at 10:31 AM..
Old 04-07-2017, 12:35 PM

Here's one more post for Friday Afternoon - the eagle hunter of Kyrgyzstan. Slightly graphic content in this one.

https://thehotflashpacker.com/the-ea...aphic-content/
Old 04-07-2017, 12:44 PM
SOA

I jumped to the Chernobyl one and noticed that you said that you went 30 days & 3 weeks after the disaster... I think you might mean 30 years & 3 weeks???

Don't know if you care about correcting that sort of thing or if once a post is up, it's up.

Anyway, I'll probably subscribe... hope that helps!
Old 04-07-2017, 12:48 PM

Oops. I'll have to correct it this weekend... it's easy to edit posts. You're totally correct - 30 years after. I'd probably be dead if it was 30 days after

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure there are typos abound. I was trying to get up alot of content in a short period of time to get it launched in time for the conference.