Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 06-24-2019, 02:14 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Hello!

Just got done with STAM, fingers crossed I passed and I'll be joining this study effort soon. Taking a couple weeks off first...
APC
Old 06-24-2019, 11:43 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM
College: UW-Madison
Favorite beer: Heady Topper

Just finished STAM today as well. Wondering if LTAM in Oct is not long enough to me. I'm currently working as a full-time. Could anyone share some thoughts on first sitting? BTW, I will be busy with working until the end of July and may have little time studying. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2019, 09:42 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysecond View Post
Just finished STAM today as well. Wondering if LTAM in Oct is not long enough to me. I'm currently working as a full-time. Could anyone share some thoughts on first sitting? BTW, I will be busy with working until the end of July and may have little time studying. Thanks!
Of course it depends on the person, and I don't know your study habits, but if this were my first time taking LTAM (it's not lol) I would wait until spring. Especially with your concerns about your work. I feel ok with only 3 months to study, but as I said I've taken it before and already feel reasonably comfortable with the material. You could use this time to do module work if you haven't already started!
APC
Old 06-26-2019, 12:53 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: Truman State University
Favorite beer: UC Schnickelfritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysecond View Post
This is my first sitting, but I would agree with aactuary92. In my experience, it's really easy to get lost in the notation and the relationships across the difference notation. Even with a day or two off of looking at the material, I find myself playing more catch-up than with previous exams (understandably so, I guess). If you don't have a whole lot of time until end of July, I would imagine it to be a pretty overwhelming cram, but not impossible! Just my thoughts, best of luck!

P FM IFM STAM LTAM SRM PA

VEE FAP
Old 06-27-2019, 07:41 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aactuary92 View Post
Of course it depends on the person, and I don't know your study habits, but if this were my first time taking LTAM (it's not lol) I would wait until spring. Especially with your concerns about your work. I feel ok with only 3 months to study, but as I said I've taken it before and already feel reasonably comfortable with the material. You could use this time to do module work if you haven't already started!
Thanks for the advice. I will consider Spring 2020 as a better option at this point.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:42 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazzy View Post
This is my first sitting, but I would agree with aactuary92. In my experience, it's really easy to get lost in the notation and the relationships across the difference notation. Even with a day or two off of looking at the material, I find myself playing more catch-up than with previous exams (understandably so, I guess). If you don't have a whole lot of time until end of July, I would imagine it to be a pretty overwhelming cram, but not impossible! Just my thoughts, best of luck!
Thanks for the information. Good luck with your future exams!
Old 06-28-2019, 11:58 AM
SOA

I don't really agree with taking sittings off. The value in sitting for an exam with a 20% chance of passing is >0. LTAM is a different testing environment as well, so you would get used to that.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:58 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloPewPew View Post
I don't really agree with taking sittings off. The value in sitting for an exam with a 20% chance of passing is >0. LTAM is a different testing environment as well, so you would get used to that.
I'm not confident that 20% chance is the assumption. Also, being unprepared and failing the exam is not helpful to the next sitting. Maybe it will add some experience and knowledge the next sitting. However, does it worth a fail to gain this experience? Wouldn't simulation tests give you similar results?
Old 06-28-2019, 10:02 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM
College: Youngstown State Alumni

Minimum for this exam Id say is 4 solid months. Praying for a pass from Spring sitting
APC
Old 06-29-2019, 12:09 AM
SOA

Hello guys, I just had exam STAM last week and will start studying for LTAM from now. For those who have passed/studying for this exam:

1. How is the difficulty compared to STAM. It took me exactly 3 months for STAM so is 4 months sufficient for this one?

2. Any advice on study strategy given this one has written answers?

3. Good study manual? Usually I use ASM + Adapt but heard this one may be different.

Any sharings would be greatly appreciated!