Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 06-29-2019, 06:35 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM
College: Youngstown State Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by carshev1629 View Post
Hello guys, I just had exam STAM last week and will start studying for LTAM from now. For those who have passed/studying for this exam:

1. How is the difficulty compared to STAM. It took me exactly 3 months for STAM so is 4 months sufficient for this one?

2. Any advice on study strategy given this one has written answers?

3. Good study manual? Usually I use ASM + Adapt but heard this one may be different.

Any sharings would be greatly appreciated!
1. LTAM really tests your time management skills. The biggest difference from LTAM and STAM is the written answer section. These can take some time to get used to, I'd recommend putting a lot of focus into them. Try not to leave any blank. 4 months is doable if you leave at least 30 days for practice problems and practice exams. 45 days is better if your able to.

2. I'd recommend starting early, focus on the written answer questions since it makes up 56/90 points of the exam. The exam itself is purely time management. If you don't know the question and think you won't be able to solve it don't waste time and move on to the next, focus on high point questions.

3. I used TIA (still waiting on Spring results), and it was pretty good. They did use a lot of DML and MDML distributions which don't really come up in the exam but I think TIA for LTAM was sufficient. They did a good job at covering the new sections.

-

Overall, this exam is a beast. Although I haven't taken STAM, LTAM with the written portion makes it the hardest of the prelims (IMO), and it's only offered twice a year. Everyone learns differently, I'd say get through the material with at least 30-45 days of time for practice exams and WA/MC problems - take them under exam setting and you will be okay. It is a time management exam. You have to instantly know the trick and what to do on each problem and not waste time if you don't know it. Get the points on the questions that you know.
APC
Old 07-01-2019, 09:31 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: Truman State University
Favorite beer: UC Schnickelfritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by carshev1629 View Post
Hello guys, I just had exam STAM last week and will start studying for LTAM from now. For those who have passed/studying for this exam:

1. How is the difficulty compared to STAM. It took me exactly 3 months for STAM so is 4 months sufficient for this one?

2. Any advice on study strategy given this one has written answers?

3. Good study manual? Usually I use ASM + Adapt but heard this one may be different.

Any sharings would be greatly appreciated!
I am currently studying for my first sitting, so I can only speak to your last two questions. I'm using the CA Learn and Adapt and it's been pretty solid so far. They have done a pretty good dive into topics and I do enjoy the quizzes and videos throughout the material. Plus ADAPT of course. They also throw in WA questions to walk through throughout the Learn. They have a bunch of WA questions you can practice and I believe they will even grade one that you choose to submit as if it were the exam, so there's that too. Good luck!

P FM IFM STAM LTAM SRM PA

VEE FAP
Old 07-05-2019, 12:51 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
Favorite beer: Two-Hearted Ale

Just purchased the CA Learn + ADAPT bundle after passing STAM with their course as well. 115 days until the exam so time to buckle in for the ride I look forward to passing with you all and getting closer to ASA!
Old 07-09-2019, 09:22 AM
SOA

Do you guys think it is too late to start studying for this, given I have a mandatory ~ week off from studying to travel in September? Company will pay for the attempt and provide study hours (up to 3 attempts for both), but not sure I want to take it if not ready/through everything. Would still start studying now, but a sitting without proper prep seems like a waste. Any thoughts?
Old 07-09-2019, 10:14 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: Truman State University
Favorite beer: UC Schnickelfritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaNation View Post
Do you guys think it is too late to start studying for this, given I have a mandatory ~ week off from studying to travel in September? Company will pay for the attempt and provide study hours (up to 3 attempts for both), but not sure I want to take it if not ready/through everything. Would still start studying now, but a sitting without proper prep seems like a waste. Any thoughts?
If you are planning on starting to study now anyways, there's not much of a need to commit at the moment yet to this October sitting. Maybe see how your studying goes and how you feel about it after awhile. If your company will pay for the sitting (and subsequent attempts), it may be worth it to get the experience from the sitting regardless.

P FM IFM STAM LTAM SRM PA

VEE FAP
Old 07-09-2019, 11:09 AM
SOA

College: Rochacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaNation View Post
I would say you can probably do it if you are determined. You have study hours so it shouldn't be that hard.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:23 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyActuary View Post
You have study hours so it shouldn't be that hard.
Lol this exam is hard regardless of how many study hours your job gives you.

That being said, the registration deadline is September 23rd, which is over 2 months away. That's definitely enough time to start studying and figure out how you feel later.
APC
Old 07-09-2019, 03:29 PM
SOA

College: Rochacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by aactuary92 View Post
Lol this exam is hard regardless of how many study hours your job gives you.

That being said, the registration deadline is September 23rd, which is over 2 months away. That's definitely enough time to start studying and figure out how you feel later.
True hahah. No matter how many hours you put in it, you still gonna feel terrible about it. That's how I feel about every exam after FM.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:47 PM
SOA

College: Wabash College B.A. 1962, Stanford Ph.D. 1965
Default September face-to-face LTAM seminar

My next face-to-face exam-prep seminar for LTAM is 5 - 11 September. For detailed information, see my website http://www.actuarialseminars.com .
jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com
Old 07-16-2019, 11:27 AM
SOA

College: Bellarmine University Alumni

I will begin studying next week.. Not looking forward to the grind but ready to be move on!
APC