Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 07-21-2019, 03:37 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: UCSB Alum
Favorite beer: I don't drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloPewPew View Post
I don't really agree with taking sittings off. The value in sitting for an exam with a 20% chance of passing is >0. LTAM is a different testing environment as well, so you would get used to that.
I am sitting for LTAM in October. I have three months to prepare -- but I also took a class at school that covered half of the syllabus, so I'm not starting at the beginning.

I wasn't planning to do this until my exam coach at work basically told me I should. I mean he left it up to me, but he encouraged me. He said five months was way too much time. I had suggested five months after reading these forums.

At the end of the day, I think that it's a worthy challenge to strive towards high levels of productivity and accomplishment. I want to be realistic, but I also want to be ambitious.

Note: I am NOT saying that I am confident that i will pass this. I have no real reason to be. But I also don't have a reason to be confident that I won't. I think my point is that faith without works is dead, but with work a lot more is possible than we think.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:18 AM
SOA

College: UConn

I got a 5 on the spring sitting of LTAM and to be honest I'm surprised I was that close. The exam was very difficult. Does anyone have any advice as to how to study after getting a 5? I used Coaching actuaries manual + adapt.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:32 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary2Bee View Post
I got a 5 on the spring sitting of LTAM and to be honest I'm surprised I was that close. The exam was very difficult. Does anyone have any advice as to how to study after getting a 5? I used Coaching actuaries manual + adapt.
Got a 5 first sitting and I thought both sittings were hard. On my second sitting I got a 6 and thought I had a 7. This exam was the hardest for me. I would say make sure you understand the material very well and do every past exam questions possible because they can test you on pretty much anything. Get ADAPT if you can, good luck.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:06 PM
SOA

College: University of Colorado

Quote:
I think the key to this exam is understanding how material can really build on itself. Given that you already have a pretty decent intro to the material with a 5 on the previous sitting, I would really suggest spending more of your time on moving to the latter sections in the CA manual (everything after reserves).

The latter sections really test your knowledge of the basics as well (survival prob., annuities, insurance, premiums, reserves, etc...)

That was my strategy for my 2nd sitting and it saved me a ton of time for the hard stuff.

Other than that, I'd probably compare your scores on the WA questions to the exam and see where you can dig in a little more.
ERM Module
APC
Old 07-23-2019, 10:37 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Do all the past SOA exams since those are the closest to the real thing. That alone should be enough to get you a 7.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:53 AM
SOA

Studying for STAM
College: Youngstown State Alumni

Quote:
Take some time to regather. Start getting fresh on topics again, make flashcards for formulas, do lots of practice problems, I'd say 45 days prior to the exam you should be doing many practice WA problems and MC problems (with an emphasis on WA), go over your weakpoints. I did not use social media leading up to the exam to eliminate distractions. Find what study tactics work best for you. Take practice exams under STRICT exam environment! Go over the problems that you missed and make sure you understand the topics. Day before exam, relax brush up on a few formulas, nothing strenuous. Day of exam, get a solid breakfast, use TIME MANAGEMENT. That is the key to passing this exam, spend time on the problems that you know, maximize your points. Good luck.
APC
Old 07-23-2019, 10:55 AM
SOA

Studying for STAM
College: Youngstown State Alumni

One more thing, check out "Deep Work" by cal Newport and incorporate this into your study habits. There are some good talks on youtube about it
APC
Old 07-23-2019, 11:02 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpez View Post
Take some time to regather. Start getting fresh on topics again, make flashcards for formulas, do lots of practice problems, I'd say 45 days prior to the exam you should be doing many practice WA problems and MC problems (with an emphasis on WA), go over your weakpoints. I did not use social media leading up to the exam to eliminate distractions. Find what study tactics work best for you. Take practice exams under STRICT exam environment! Go over the problems that you missed and make sure you understand the topics. Day before exam, relax brush up on a few formulas, nothing strenuous. Day of exam, get a solid breakfast, use TIME MANAGEMENT. That is the key to passing this exam, spend time on the problems that you know, maximize your points. Good luck.

May I ask what is your main source for practice problems/exams ?
Old 07-24-2019, 06:23 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

I'm way behind on this - I'm only on the annuities section for CA. Hopefully I can get myself to put in way more hours and get caught up. It's still worth a shot.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:41 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
Favorite beer: yes

Art Vandelay checking in. Round 3 for me. I will be master of my domain by the end of this, damn it.