Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:54 PM
CAS

Default Control Roku or YT TV from afar via internet?

a friend of mine is faced with the following situation:

someone at home likes to have the TV on during the day and occasionally wants the channel changed, but is unable to do so on their own. my friend would like to change the channel for the person at home remotely from the office. they have a Roku setup.

how can he change channels from the office for the person at home? i believe they use YT TV so maybe it's a YT TV question and not a Roku question.

any ideas?
Old 09-16-2019, 05:35 PM
SOA

I have a Roku app on my phone that allows me to connect to a Roku TV that's on the same WiFi network. I imagine if the home in question has a computer that can be left on and running, you could have that computer run an android emulator and your friend could chrome remote desktop to the computer to use the roku app from the emulator.

Sounds like a lot of extra steps. Hopefully someone has a better idea.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:38 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
I have a Roku app on my phone that allows me to connect to a Roku TV that's on the same WiFi network. I imagine if the home in question has a computer that can be left on and running, you could have that computer run an android emulator and your friend could chrome remote desktop to the computer to use the roku app from the emulator.

Sounds like a lot of extra steps. Hopefully someone has a better idea.
hmmm, i'll look into that. thank you
Old 09-16-2019, 08:05 PM
Non-Actuary

Before diving into a complicated technological solution that would involve piercing the router's firewall from the outside (which could open up security risks if implemented by somebody who doesn't understand the technical details), what is stopping the person from changing channels on their own? A physical disability affecting their hands (or lack thereof)? Or just too technophobic to use the Roku remote?

If the person inside the home can speak, it may be possible for them to tell Amazon Alexa or Google Home to change the channel with voice commands (although this may require switching from Roku to Amazon Fire TV or Google Chromecast).

Roku also has some voice command capability, but it's more limited, and still requires manipulating the mobile app or remote, which may be unusable for somebody who can't physically operate a remote.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/

Last edited by Incredible Hulctuary; 09-16-2019 at 08:09 PM..
Old 09-23-2019, 02:07 PM
CAS

thanks for the ideas

this person is close to needing an in-home companion all/most of the day so there's no longer any need to figure this one out