Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-11-2018, 10:34 AM
SOA

College: Western Kentucky University

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooBeay View Post
I might have been a bit harsh in my estimate of downgrade. Carmelo could easily bounce back a bit and be very decent for the Rockets. Everyone's game/stats goes in the garbage when they play with Westbrook.
No you weren't. Ariza is a very good defender. His abilities on that side solidified Houston against small ball lineups. Melo would be targeted. He was in the playoffs which is why he they couldn't keep him on the court. An inefficient scorer who is a major defensive liability is not what any team really wants.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:46 PM
ASPPA COPA

Studying for Nothing.
Favorite beer: Massive Quantities

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Daneel Olivaw View Post
No you weren't. Ariza is a very good defender. His abilities on that side solidified Houston against small ball lineups. Melo would be targeted. He was in the playoffs which is why he they couldn't keep him on the court. An inefficient scorer who is a major defensive liability is not what any team really wants.

My guess is w/o Ariza and Mbah a Moute their defense will look much closer turnstile it was in 2016 than the much improved 2017 version, especially if they down grade defensively so much with Melo.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeetripper View Post

My guess is w/o Ariza and Mbah a Moute their defense will look much closer turnstile it was in 2016 than the much improved 2017 version, especially if they down grade defensively so much with Melo.
The combo exodus is brutal.

I am guessing with their cap situation they were never bringing Ariza back at 15M...assuming he would be a multiple of that in luxury tax.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:35 PM
Non-Actuary

He's not going to the Lakers. I just read an article with the Lakers saying that in order to compete with G.S. they are going to sign guys that are good defenders and can play multiple positions.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooBeay View Post
The combo exodus is brutal.

I am guessing with their cap situation they were never bringing Ariza back at 15M...assuming he would be a multiple of that in luxury tax.
They've made their bed by re-signing CP3, now they have to sleep in it.

If they can convince Melo to accept a role with minutes in the low/mid 20's (plus the possiblity of crunch time minutes IF he is helping the team), I believe he can be an asset. He 's logged too many NBA minutes to be an asset for 30+ min/night as one of the primary creators of offense. If he's the #3/#4 option (along with Eric Gordon) for about half the game most nights, it's not outside the realm of possibility that he could give you 15+ ppg with decent efficiency and a higher level of effort defensively in those reduced minutes / usage than we've seen in recent years. He'd probably need to drop ~10lbs to get ready to play at the pace the Rockets like to play at, and I'm sure that would be discussed with him prior to signing him.

I hope this works out just so that I can laugh at Dev again for all of those non-sensical posts about how he was a total cancer during D'Antoni's time in NY and claims that they have this awful relationship. Generals and lieutenants have had disagreements since the beginning of time - if they always agree about everything, someone isn't doing their job very well.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:15 PM
SOA AAA

Bump....
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:44 PM
ASPPA COPA

Studying for Nothing.
Favorite beer: Massive Quantities

I predict his Hawks tenure will be short.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:53 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeetripper View Post
I predict his Hawks tenure will be short.
I'll look back fondly on the 8 hours he will spend on the Hawks roster.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:17 AM
SOA AAA

qc will demand that the Hawks retire his number.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:32 AM

Houston tanking this year. Curse of the melo.