Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 12-14-2011, 07:08 PM
SOA

Studying for Life
Default Which manual to buy?

Well, I just passed FM so now I have FM and P finished. My goal is to have three exams done by the time I graduate so basically I have a year and a half for one more exam. I think I'll go for C next and, despite the amount of material on the exam, I think I'll have plenty of time to learn the material and pass it. I think it would be nice to have the "hardest" preliminary behind me when I start working.

On to my question: which manual should I buy?

For P and FM, I know ASM was generally preferred, although I used ACTEX for both. So far, I like ACTEX for every reason except the difficulty of the exams, which seem to be widely known to be too easy. But for those of you who used ACTEX for C, how was it?

I would go for the online courses, but they are freakishly expensive for a broke college student such as myself.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:39 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for nothing. FCAS, baby!

Asm.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 PM
CAS

Studying for nothing

Go for ASM, but why only plan on taking 1 exam before you graduate? Aim to finish as many of the prelims as possible.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:01 AM
SOA

Studying for Life

Well, I suppose I could write more exams before I graduate but I keep hearing conflicting arguments about whether or not it's better to have several exams before working.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:10 AM
SOA

ASM. and definitely try to get as many exams as you can before you graduate. its soo much harder to study when you have a fulltime job .
Old 12-15-2011, 08:33 AM
CAS

Studying for nothing!

I'm also a strong supporter of ASM, though others prefer TIA. From what I've heard (and what I experienced with exam 5), ACTEX is terrible after exams 1 and 2, so do not go that route.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:04 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Zombie Dust

ASM. If you have money, go with ASM plus TIA.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:16 AM
SOA

TIA offers student discount, I think it's 50% off with a valid school e-mail address.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:18 AM
SOA

Studying for MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA JOJO View Post
I would go for the online courses, but they are freakishly expensive for a broke college student such as myself.
TIA is half price for enrolled students. That's still more than a manual, but it's probably worth it if that's what you prefer. If not an option, general consensus is ASM.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:42 AM
CAS

I agree that TIA is worth the extra money. I used it almost exclusively although I had the ASM manual. Many times the ASM manual obscured topics that I thought I understood from TIA. I thought the style of questions on the TIA practice exams matched very closely the actual exam. TIA includes most of the pertinent past exam problems which ASM includes. ASM will get the job done if you're not able to shell out the extra cash. I've not heard many positive things about Actex manuals on this forum.

Tags
actex, actex exam c, asm exam c, exam c, manual