Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 10-27-2017, 04:30 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarimZ View Post
Most probably joining you guys for April after a horrible attempt today. Time to take out some VEEs and then get back to MLC study schedule.
I did terribly on this morning test and thinking about get back studying for it next week. Do you think it's wise to stidy now or wait for the result then study?
Old 10-27-2017, 06:32 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Quote:
Originally Posted by micdian View Post
I did terribly on this morning test and thinking about get back studying for it next week. Do you think it's wise to stidy now or wait for the result then study?
If you think you failed and you have no other requirements (modules, VEEs, exams) then I'd study now, but that's just me.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:41 PM
SOA

I'm just browsing to see how hard this exam feels to test takers (I passed pre-WA) and the Fall progress thread seems like it had very little activity compared to prior progress threads.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:42 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasplash View Post
If you think you failed and you have no other requirements (modules, VEEs, exams) then I'd study now, but that's just me.
I still have modules, and the two new extra exam for ASA change. Should I study for modules now then?
Old 10-27-2017, 07:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by micdian View Post
I still have modules, and the two new extra exam for ASA change. Should I study for modules now then?
Definitely work on modules while you wait for results. Then you can start studying as soon as you get the results (if you failed)
Old 10-28-2017, 03:15 PM
CAS

Are you guys using the international version of Actuarial Mathematics that I saw on Amazon? I used international version of Derivative Markets, and it was little bit confusing when it came to certain section that you were supposed to skip (plus some chapters were marked differently). I was just wondering if anybody can help with that. Will be looking for ASM manual to purchase as well and will do some adapt questions as well. That should be plenty, however any suggestion/advise is welcome. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinaO View Post
Are you guys using the international version of Actuarial Mathematics that I saw on Amazon? I used international version of Derivative Markets, and it was little bit confusing when it came to certain section that you were supposed to skip (plus some chapters were marked differently). I was just wondering if anybody can help with that. Will be looking for ASM manual to purchase as well and will do some adapt questions as well. That should be plenty, however any suggestion/advise is welcome. Thanks!
Do you mean "Actuarial Mathematics" or "Actuarial Mathematics for Life Contingent Risks"? Unless you mean "Actuarial Mathematics for Life Contingent Risks", it's the wrong book.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:09 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
Do you mean "Actuarial Mathematics" or "Actuarial Mathematics for Life Contingent Risks"? Unless you mean "Actuarial Mathematics for Life Contingent Risks", it's the wrong book.
Actuarial Mathematics for Life Contingent Risks - I just didn't write out an entire title.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:41 AM
SOA

Fairly sure I failed last week. That will be my second fail. Planning to read through formula sheets and maybe do a couple problems each week until I know for sure.

Also, hoping to do VEE Econ between now and when results are released. I still have modules, too...but I need something easy right now.

I used TIA for both sittings, which I liked (I can never manage to get through all the problems; like they recommend), but my subscription is up, so right now I'm planning to just do the released practice problems and decide later if I should buy another study aid of some kind.

As far as my experience with the exam, I struggled with the amount of time we get and the "trickiness" of the questions. If that makes sense. I can handle all the topics with straightforward questions, but when they throw in a little quirk I have a hard time. The earlier released exams were straightforward and I was passing those in practice, the later ones (and the exams I took) were trickier and I struggled. Hope this helps, and good luck everyone!
Old 11-09-2017, 09:58 PM
SOA

College: UCSD

Spaghet!!!
Gotcha!

Anyone have any difficulty with the first 8 chapters of ASM?
Just passed C, but I'm finding these chapters quite difficult...
Then again I remember feeling the same way for every ASM manual, takes some time to get used them again.

P FM MFE C MLC