Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 01-16-2018, 12:10 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: University of Utah
Favorite beer: Modelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAce View Post
Hopping on this thread since I failed Fall'17. Let's kill it in Spring'18
Right there with ya. Third attempt, here we go...
Old 01-16-2018, 09:10 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

starting is a bit slow ���� wish i had a study partner. must push on
Old 01-16-2018, 10:22 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: University of Utah
Favorite beer: Modelo

Going thru this garbage ASM Manual by Abe Weishaus. Here is the typical lesson:
1. Super casual explanation with the use of many pronouns, many trivial examples.
2. A quiz that tests you on stuff that was not covered in the lesson. Either that or a question that requires some advanced maneuvering, def not introductory.
3. The first problem of the Exercise Set is a complicated integral involving a Gamma distribution, with the solution skipping steps and grouping terms in the most confusing manner. This guy sure loves to show off how good he personally is at this stuff!

Thats ASM in a nutshell. No wonder Coaching Actuaries has moved away from his crap videos and his crap manual. If you bought this study manual, either slap yourself or throw it off a bridge. Or both
Old 01-17-2018, 06:44 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

I find Abe's manuals to be very thorough and well-written. He does expect you to already know prerequisites. Sometimes, I feel like he emphasizes the learning process, when many just want to know how to solve the problem. I really like ASM--and Abe in particular--but I can understand how some may just want to "get on with things."

On the CA message boards, Abe hardly ever gives you a direct solution; rather, he asks germane questions and points you in the right direction. He will give you the answer if you still are not following after a few replies.

I suggest contacting him if you are unclear on something. He has been helpful and generous with his time to me in the past.

I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcuandon View Post
Going thru this garbage ASM Manual by Abe Weishaus. Here is the typical lesson:
1. Super casual explanation with the use of many pronouns, many trivial examples.
2. A quiz that tests you on stuff that was not covered in the lesson. Either that or a question that requires some advanced maneuvering, def not introductory.
3. The first problem of the Exercise Set is a complicated integral involving a Gamma distribution, with the solution skipping steps and grouping terms in the most confusing manner. This guy sure loves to show off how good he personally is at this stuff!

Thats ASM in a nutshell. No wonder Coaching Actuaries has moved away from his crap videos and his crap manual. If you bought this study manual, either slap yourself or throw it off a bridge. Or both
Old 01-17-2018, 07:02 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

Progress update:

I began in late November, with the holidays really getting in the way. I mistakenly purchased the Coaching Actuaries' MLC manual, when I usually go with ASM. CA is very concise compared to my experiences with previous ASM manuals, which are very detailed.

The initial material is boring beyond belief. To top it off, we are introduced to "actuarial notation," which is fine, once you get the hang of it. I find it helpful to force myself to write out the actuarial notation in every practice problem, and carefully attend to precision. If something can be written in actuarial notation multiple ways, I make sure to rotate the alternative notations.

If you are still awake after the first chapter, it appears chapters 2 and 3 are the backbone of the course. It appears we use 1,2 and 3 in the remaining chapters, though I am only on chapter 5.

I spent extra time on chapters 2 and 3, and it has paid off. I breezed through chapter 4 in a few hours earlier today. Hopefully 5 isn't bad either. I hear Markov Chain (ch 6) can be an experience, though.

Good luck, everyone!
-AB
Old 01-17-2018, 08:48 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Day 3:

At Life Tables. I am trying to understand more... I hope the slow speed doesnt come to haunt me.

Takeaway: "Since life tables are so convenient, it is sometimes easier to build a life table to solve a probability question than to work the question out directly"
Old 01-19-2018, 11:21 AM
SOA

College: Wabash College B.A. 1962, Stanford Ph.D. 1965
Default Face-to-face seminar; pass rate

My face-to-face seminar for MLC---the last before I start giving LTAM seminars---will be 7 - 11 March; detailed info is on my website http://www.actuarialseminars.com . The pass rate for the October exam by those who took my fall seminar was 50%, compared with 44.5 worldwide.
jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com
Old 01-19-2018, 03:38 PM
SOA

College: Lehigh University Alumnus
Favorite beer: Victory HopDevil IPA

Just passed MFE, so it looks like MLC for me in April. Plan to get started tomorrow. Hopefully, I'm not too late to the party.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:43 PM
SOA

Studying for GHCORC
College: Université Laval

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Daniel View Post
My face-to-face seminar for MLC---the last before I start giving LTAM seminars---will be 7 - 11 March; detailed info is on my website http://www.actuarialseminars.com . The pass rate for the October exam by those who took my fall seminar was 50%, compared with 44.5 worldwide.
But the effective pass rate is 55%...
Old 01-20-2018, 03:06 PM
CAS SOA

How are people doing? I started early December using TIA and about half way done but still lot to study. Being super busy at work and lot of complicated study topics to cover, kind of scared to take the exam in April.