Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 01-20-2018, 10:25 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

I am at moments. Started a few days ago. Trying to get the fundamentals intact.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:59 AM
SOA

College: University of Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshin17 View Post
How are people doing? I started early December using TIA and about half way done but still lot to study. Being super busy at work and lot of complicated study topics to cover, kind of scared to take the exam in April.
I am on reserves, and using TIA, and then doing sample questions with each lesson.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:01 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Vanderbilt Alum
Favorite beer: Lucky Bucket IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshin17 View Post
How are people doing? I started early December using TIA and about half way done but still lot to study. Being super busy at work and lot of complicated study topics to cover, kind of scared to take the exam in April.
What's actually working for me right now is going through the SOA 322 using the CA formula sheet as a guide. If I'm not sure how to approach a problem or get stuck--I went straight to the solution and wrote it out and then looked at the CA video for that question. Now I'm about 45% of the way through them and things are starting to click on some of the concepts, plus I'm getting a wide exposure of topics this way so I don't forget stuff. I'm still a LOOONGG way off. At this point, I'd be happy just getting my WA portion graded. Hopefully, I'll be more confident than this come April.

FAP: 1 2 3 4 5 IA 6 7 8 FA
APC
Old 01-22-2018, 02:17 PM
SOA

Does anyone plan on taking a face to face seminar? Or know of any other than the Jim Daniels one?
Old 01-23-2018, 12:14 PM
SOA

College: Lehigh University Alumnus
Favorite beer: Victory HopDevil IPA

I'm on day 3 and am using the CA bundle. Really like their videos and manual, so far. Coach K's teaching style keeps me engaged.

I'm targeting leaving myself with 50 days of practice exams, so it's going to be a challenge to get through all of the material by the beginning of March. I can see how this exam is really a make or break exam for many students (at least at my company).
Old 01-23-2018, 03:45 PM
SOA

Studying for Global Conquest
College: Ball State University, Alumni, M.A.
Favorite beer: Coffee and more Coffee

WA Breakdown from Fall 2017 sitting. I went 4, 9, 6, 6, 1, 2. Yeah, I kind of had a mental block on number 5 and 6, but I could not have been that far off with a passing score. I knew I had at least 15 correct on the MC, too. Oh well, I am more than half-way through all of the SOA Sample MC. Then I am going to read over lessons 42-68 in the ASM, power through the WA Sample Questions, then take practice test after practice test to get this exam over and done with.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:46 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer11 View Post
I'm on day 3 and am using the CA bundle. Really like their videos and manual, so far. Coach K's teaching style keeps me engaged.

I'm targeting leaving myself with 50 days of practice exams, so it's going to be a challenge to get through all of the material by the beginning of March. I can see how this exam is really a make or break exam for many students (at least at my company).
I'm using the CA bundle as well, and also really like it so far. I can't really put my finger on why, but I am liking it better than TIA, which I used for my last two sittings. I'm trying for about the same time frame as you, but focusing my time right now on practice questions for each section and watching the videos at 1.5 speed.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:59 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicjello View Post
I'm using the CA bundle as well, and also really like it so far. I can't really put my finger on why, but I am liking it better than TIA, which I used for my last two sittings. I'm trying for about the same time frame as you, but focusing my time right now on practice questions for each section and watching the videos at 1.5 speed.
I feel the same way as you about CA. I think it's the interface and overall cleanliness of the UI that makes the whole experience slightly better.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:11 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Vanderbilt Alum
Favorite beer: Lucky Bucket IPA

Registration is open now.

FAP: 1 2 3 4 5 IA 6 7 8 FA
APC
Old 01-31-2018, 11:51 AM
SOA

College: Lehigh University Alumnus
Favorite beer: Victory HopDevil IPA

Hope the silence around here means that everyone is focused on their studying

I'm through 3 of 11 sections with CA and am a bit more than a day ahead of schedule. Premiums and Reserves are up next, just in time for the Super Bowl weekend. Go Birds!