Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Life
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-24-2017, 04:52 PM
SOA AAA

Default Handling DAC for Single Premium

Is anyone familiar with DAC recognition for a single premium life policy?

We are developing a very simple term life product that could be sold in conjunction with closing a loan such that the premium is included in the loan amount - thus a single premium. We pay a commission to the closing agent.

FAS60 guidance on DAC says that acquisition expenses should be recognized in proportion to premium revenue recognized.

FAS97 governs the premium recognition for single pay long term contracts and says, "Any gross premium in excess of the net premium shall be deferred and recognized in income in a constant relationship with insurance in force."

So I read the US GAAP for Life Insurers book published by the SOA and it says the same things. At the end of chapter 4 they give a sample 20-year annual pay term life product. The example is shown in Table 4-12, Table 4-13, and Table 4-13_details in this spreadsheet available for download from the SoA:

https://www.soa.org/files/zip/gaap-txtbook-chpt04.zip

In the example, the first year premium is $138 and the capitalized cost is $307 = $100 + 150%*$138. The mechanism used to compute the DAC asset is:

[(PriorReserve - k*GrossPremium + CapitalizedCosts) * (1+ i) ] / (1-lapses-deaths)
where k is the CapitalizedCosts/PVGrossPrem

When I replace the annual premiums with a single gross premium equivalent to the present value of the annual premiums and adjust the DAC expense percentage to generate the same capitalized cost (so k doesn't change), the SoA model spits out a DAC of $0.00 for every policy month, which is consistent with recognizing all the premium and all the acq. cost immediately. That is obviously not the idea of GAAP accounting.

What do I need to do differently?
Old 05-24-2017, 05:24 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Squirrel View Post

We are developing a very simple term life product that could be sold in conjunction with closing a loan such that the premium is included in the loan amount - thus a single premium. We pay a commission to the closing agent.

FAS60 guidance on DAC says that acquisition expenses should be recognized in proportion to premium revenue recognized.

FAS97 governs the premium recognition for single pay long term contracts and says, "Any gross premium in excess of the net premium shall be deferred and recognized in income in a constant relationship with insurance in force."

So I read the US GAAP for Life Insurers book published by the SOA and it says the same things. At the end of chapter 4 they give a sample 20-year annual pay term life product. The example is shown in Table 4-12, Table 4-13, and Table 4-13_details in this spreadsheet available for download from the SoA:

In the example, the first year premium is $138 and the capitalized cost is $307 = $100 + 150%*$138. The mechanism used to compute the DAC asset is:

[(PriorReserve - k*GrossPremium + CapitalizedCosts) * (1+ i) ] / (1-lapses-deaths)

When I replace the annual premiums with a single gross premium equivalent to the present value of the annual premiums and adjust the DAC expense percentage to generate the same capitalized cost (so k doesn't change), the SoA model spits out a DAC of $0.00 for every policy month, which is consistent with recognizing all the premium and all the acq. cost immediately. That is obviously not the idea of GAAP accounting.

Seems like you should be asking this of the people who provided your model.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Does the book have examples for FAS 97 limited pay contracts? I donīt think they will show any DAC amortized after the premium paying period. They may have an example for a single pay contract, which I suspect will show no DAC activity.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:27 PM

Studying for nothing!
College: Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Squirrel View Post

The US GAAP book covers this in section 4.11 of my edition (tables 4-14 through 4-16), where it goes through an example of a 3-pay 10-year endowment.

The DAC is amortized over the premium, and so in a single-pay case the acquisition expenses would not be deferred. However beyond the benefit & expense reserves and DAC you would have for a normal (payments over the life of the contract) FAS 60 contract you will also need to calculate a Deferred Profit Liability (DPL) (because the contract is a FAS 97 Limited Pay contract). For a single pay contract it will amortize the profit at issue (gross premium less the net premium, which for a single pay contract amounts to gross premium less acquisition expenses and the initial benefit and expense reserves) over the life of the contract in proportion to the insurance in force.

When you factor in the changes in the DPL into the income calculations (and add in investment income on assets backing the DPL) then the profit emerges as a flat percentage of the insurance in force.

Unfortunately like most examples in that text it's horribly presented and explained, and for whatever reason fundamental values (like the amortization factor for the DPL) seem to be hard-coded into the associated workbook rather than actually calculated. Though unlike other examples in that book it looks like the calculations may actually be right (albeit done in the most backwards way possible).
Old 05-25-2017, 09:42 AM
SOA AAA

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll look at that example more closely.